Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Secondary School Teachers going out in January?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if there are any Secondary School Teachers going out in January?
    My wife is due on the 8th January and we're trying to figure out when she should be going on maternity leave. Anyone out there that might be able to help??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Not a teacher but have 2 January babies.
    Christmas Holidays should be time enough, and then it is easy stay off until Sept:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Not a teacher but have 2 January babies.
    Christmas Holidays should be time enough, and then it is easy stay off until Sept:)

It's not as easy as that in teaching. Holidays don't count.

Not that I have a clue myself, having never been in the situation, but I do know that holidays don't count.

OP, you could ask the same question in Teaching and Lecturing. (Click on the link under my name.) There are posters there who have children and who might be able to help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

True,
    They would have to take nearly no unpaid leave.

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/leave/maternity-leave/

"Leave Overlapping with Holidays

Where maternity leave overlaps with school holidays a teacher will be entitled to leave in lieu with pay for the holiday days overlapped, subject to a maximum of 30 days. The overlapped days for which the teacher will be entitled to leave in lieu are general school holiday days (e.g. mid-term breaks, summer holidays, etc), including public and church holidays (where applicable) and other school closings, except that any day that counts towards the number of days of school operation is excluded. Examples of days that would be excluded are days during the periods of the Department of Education and Science Certificate Examinations (12 school days) and days on which schools are closed in exceptional circumstances such as closures where schools are being used for polling purposes during an election.

Leave in lieu of overlapped maternity leave as set out above will be taken by the teacher so as to follow on immediately from the end of any period of statutory unpaid maternity leave, up to 16 weeks, or from the end of the school holiday period concerned, if the maternity leave expires within such holiday period, e.g. if the maternity leave was to expire in the middle of July and the teacher was entitled to 30 school days in lieu these 30 days would commence on the day that the school reopens at the end of August / beginning of September and would be taken over the next 30 days that the school is open for business. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Thanks folks. We started looking through some of the printouts she was given last week and they are allowed 30 days in lieu of any holidays (mid term, etc) that come up while they are on leave. So I think we have it worked out that she is to go on Maternity leave in November and then back again in September (hopefully, once she re interviews). Shes going to talk to the secretary again today.

Bobblehead Ill ask in the Teaching section if thats ok with you, just so that we know for sure she's got the right dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ok, bear with me.....

She is due on the 8th Jan. She has to take off the two weeks before the end of her week of confinement (8th - 15th), so her leave should be calculated from Jan 2nd.

Jan 2nd + 26 weeks = June 29th.

Her 26 weeks includes 1 week of Xmas, 1 week Feb midterm, 2 weeks of Easter, 1 week and 3days of Summer Holidays (the first 12 days of the state exams don't count) + May Bank Hol Monday + St Patrick's Day = 6 weeks. Her maternity leave will expire during the summer holidays, so the 6 weeks get added on when the holidays are over:

So August 27th + 6 weeks = 8th October

If she is worried about next year's contract, she can always take off earlier and be back for the beginning of the school year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The teachers in my school work backwards from the start of the summer holidays so maternity leave doesn't run into June. A teacher I work with is due 4th January. So allowing 26 weeks for maternity leave and 6 weeks for holiday leave because of holidays overlapping during that period, basically she's counted back 32 weeks or so from Friday June 1st (last day of school year). She's finishing up the week before the October midterm break, around the 24th October. She's chosen to take all her leave before the summer rather than split it and come back later in the school year next year. It means she's off from the start of November this year until the end of August next year as it runs into the summer holidays.

It also means that she won't be racing around the place in the last month of her pregnancy trying to organise Christmas tests and get them corrected, and if we get a winter like the ones we had the last two years she won't be travelling to school in the snow or walking around icy school grounds while heavily pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Hi guys, Im in the same position only primary.
    Im due jan 10 and so Im planning on finishing nov 18 +26wks brings me to end of may + 28 days in lieu. This brings me to June 28th, back into school june 29th for the last day of term then summer kicks in for july and aug. Id prefer to go back to school when the children are starting back and the other staff, just easier to settle in my opinion maybe Im mad!:o

But also I dont fancy being on yard duty in the snow and ice and also trying to navigate around while feeling like a whale :rolleyes:

hope all your pregnancies are going well

x

Advertisement