Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two things that I learned today about Paypal

• 11-09-2011 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭

As a seller, in the case of a lost package, you are at risk of having your payment refunded to the buyer if you dont sent the package by traceable delivery/courier. Any issue with non-delivery will be decided in the buyers favour.

As a buyer, you are only protected by PayPals resolution process (should anything go worng) if you pay in full for the item in one payment, and the item must be a product, not a service.

Of course, all of this is in the PayPal terms and conditions (if only I'd read them :rolleyes:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

so what happended in your case. were you the buyer or seller. sounds like buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    As a seller, in the case of a lost package, you are at risk of having your payment refunded to the buyer if you dont sent the package by traceable delivery/courier. Any issue with non-delivery will be decided in the buyers favour.

^^^^^^
    This.As a seller. Crucial. If the buyer doesnt have to sign they can simply open up a dispute and unless you have proof of mailing..... Kiss goodbye to your poduct and your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Both applied in my case!

I was selling. Buyer specifically didn't want to pay for registered post, so I sent the (£25 value) item by ordinary post and got a receipt from AnPost for it. Buyer claimed item never arrived (may it did, maybe it didnt - I simply dont know) and opened a dispute as BCMF has outlined.

I was on the point of having the money paid back to the buyer as PayPal will not get involved in a claim if the seller hasn't sent the package by traceable post and will always side with the buyer in such cases. However, they paid for it thru in two separate transactions (£15 & £10) so they were not entitled to the refund. Strange circumstances - lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I can understand the general position on proof of delivery but I don't fully get the requirement to have paid in one go. Maybe there's some clever swizz that would be facilitated if multiple payments could be refunded for a single failed delivery but I'm buggered if I can think what it is. Maybe it's just administrative convenience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

one other thing about Paypal, never pay for anything as a gift, NEVER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

MidlandsM wrote: »

How do you mean?

MidlandsM wrote: »

ABSOLUTLEY.
    Unless you 100% trust the person. When you pay by 'Gift' I believe you cannot open a dispute as there is technically there is nothing to dispute as you have sent a gift of money to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

If you open a dispute with someone, be aware that you need to either resolve or escalate the dispute within a 20 day time period. Paypal automatically closes the case after 20 days & once the case is closed it can't be reopened!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    How do you mean?

by paying as a gift, you waive the right to any recourse if there is an issue.....basically, yer bolloxed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

bcmf wrote: »
    ^^^^^^
    This.As a seller. Crucial. If the buyer doesnt have to sign they can simply open up a dispute and unless you have proof of mailing..... Kiss goodbye to your poduct and your money.

I had a situation where the buyer decided to do a bit of DIY on the item before returning it saying it was faulty! Pay Pal ignored every mail I sent them.

• Advertisement

As a buyer PayPal is great. As a seller it can be a disaster as in PayPal disputes I believe it leans heavily towards the buyer.
    I did have one transaction where paypal went (sorta) in favour of the seller ie me but how were Paypal to know the buyer was a complete an utter dope!

Advertisement