Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scutch grass

• 11-09-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭

hi would anyone be able to tell me what to do with scutch grass it is in a meadow of mine and is gradually getting worse i dont want to spray and reseed the whole thing as it is in aeos trad hay meadows thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

A good dose of Nitrogen Phosphrous and potassium and lime should help it as it sounds like you have an acid soil there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

polod wrote: »
    A good dose of Nitrogen Phosphrous and potassium and lime should help it as it sounds like you have an acid soil there.
    Based on what may i ask?

scutch grass grows in soil with low pH ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭marknjb

would this kill off the scutch that is there allready

scutch grass grows in soil with low pH ;)

What has
    a good dose of Nitrogen Phosphrous and potassium
    to do with increasing ph?

• Advertisement

funny man wrote: »
    What has to do with increasing ph?

N P and K have nothing to do with increasing pH ......N P and K are required to grow 'quality' grass

If you havn't already it would be a good idea to take a soil sample (€25 approx) and if the PH is low less than 6 or 5.5 if on peat soils then spread lime. keep it grazed tight and close it late (may) if it can't be cut till august.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

funny man wrote: »
    If you havn't already it would be a good idea to take a soil sample (€25 approx) and if the PH is low less than 6 or 5.5 if on peat soils then spread lime. keep it grazed tight and close it late (may) if it can't be cut till august.

He said it is aeos-controlled "old hay meadow".

Isn't a bit of scutch to be expected, and won't the advice he is getting here get him punished, possibly docked €€€€€ if he has an aeos inspection?

I am asking not saying - I don't know the answers to these questions.

LostCovey

LostCovey wrote: »
    He said it is aeos-controlled "old hay meadow".

Isn't a bit of scutch to be expected, and won't the advice he is getting here get him punished, possibly docked €€€€€ if he has an aeos inspection?

I am asking not saying - I don't know the answers to these questions.

LostCovey

i'm not up to speed on the aeos scheme but i do know you are allowed to spread lime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭marknjb

lime is ok its the nitrogen is limited to 50 kgs to the hectacer

• Advertisement
Advertisement