Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MK3 Mondeo's

• 11-09-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Over the last two weeks i've known of 3 that needs new engines as the smoke from the nct was off the scale. And these are the 1.8 Petrols, not really huge miles on any of them.

Can we safely say that these are ****e? Even the diesels have a bad rep, though some of them have lovely spec and i'm guilty to say that i'd have one if not for the engine problems.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

yes the older 1.8 was definetly sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Not surprised at that, even Mazda 6 1.8 petrol which has pretty much same engine as Mondeo suffers from oil consumption problems and as the mileage gets bigger it s even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I had mondeo 1.8, 2 years ago for a year.
    When I bought it i seemed allright.

Anyway there was some strange sound, which could indicate problem with intake manifold (this is common with this model).
    In addition to it, car started burning about 1 litre of oil per every 1000km, so I finally got rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Overrated yes but not exactly ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

in its diesel form its underated and would be even better if you knew where to buy good quality diesel.a problem we wouldnt have if the u.k and irish goverments done away with marked gas oil for the poor wee farmers. cants see enda having the liatroidi for that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Overrated yes

If they are overrated any Passat or Audi A4 built after 2001 must be of the scale surely.

Were they duratec or zetec Mondeos that needed new engines I was VB? Brother had a 2001 1.8 Duratec Mondeo up to recently enough that he sold with circa 120k mile on it. Passed NCT not long before he sold it. The emissions were spot on. The NCT tester commented to him how spot on the car was, which I seldom if ever hear of them doing in fairness. Up until he sold it at least the engine was really smooth and pulled great. While it did use a drop of oil, certainly nothing major or worth talking about. As I recall maybe half a litre between services which is no worse than many other makes and models with that mileage or less on them.
    CiniO wrote: »
    Anyway there was some strange sound, which could indicate problem with intake manifold (this is common with this model).

Ah yeah the dreaded swirl flaps. If there is one major issue with them early duratec engines that it. I believe the bloody things do not perform any significant meaningful function and can be removed completely without any major issues. Its all a bit silly really if you ask me. If they do break and are carried into the combustion chamber you are most likely cursing all the way to the bank.

Advertisement