Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotspot/pyotraumatic dermatitis on golden retriever..anyone have experience of this?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

My golden retriever was diagnosed with this yesterday.

She has red raw patches on her hind quarters and legs.
    It developed within 24 hours. She is 6 and has never had anything like this before.

I had her at the vet first thing yesterday morning and she had a steroid shot, is on antibiotics, hibiscrub baths and Betnavate cream twice a day. They shaved the whole area so the hair won't aggravate it.

I think there is a big improvement today thank God. It was the angriest looking skin problem I ever saw.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience of this, how quick does it heal and does it recur?

Just to add I am following all advice from the vet!:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My retriever's had it a few times. Luckily he knows his leave it command and pirotin sorts it out for him in a few days so and we don't need to go to the vet. He had it twice last year so I keep an eye out for it now and also i always make sure to dry is legs and tummy if gets wet in the rain etc. He gets it from cut grass in the park so when he had it earlier in the year I just avoided the park until it cleared up and eg went to the beach instead. When he had it this year the skin looked very hot and itchy - i put some vaseline lotion on it on night and the difference the next morning was amazing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Thanks for that TK..do you use the Vaseline intensive care lotion or Vaseline petroleum jelly?

The difference in Tilly this morning is incredible. The skin colour is only mildly red now. Phew! HEading back to normality.

God it's only when something goes wrong with your dog, even when it is a skin problem which can be sorted, that you realise how dependent they are on you for everything.

Off to the vet again today with one of our cats who I think has an abcess on her chin. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Groom! wrote: »
    Thanks for that TK..do you use the Vaseline intensive care lotion or Vaseline petroleum jelly?

The lotion lol! It's in a green bottle - I think it's aloe vera and cucumber! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

The first retreiver I had when I was young suffered with this.
    We cut out pet food meat i.e. tins, sausages, pouches etc. and he was fine.
    According to a family friend / animal guru a lot of dogs suffer intolerances to pet food meats - dread to think whats in them.

It seems to be a matter of figuring out what is causing it in your specific dog and avoiding it like the plague.

I feel for the poor sweetie who gets it from grass :(

Advertisement