Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steamy windows

• 11-09-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭

No, not that ye dirty buggers.

Last winter during the cold wet mornings, our 05 Accord had the bloody annoying habit of fogging up the windscreen when setting off. It even got so bad that we'd have to stop and have fan + aircon full on or window down to clear the screen.

What the hell is the cause? I can start the car, clear the screen using heater and set off, only to have to pull over within 2 mins as the screen completely fogs up.

I can't see any wet area under the bonnet that is soaking incoming air.

I must find this cause or I'm gonna freak. No other car has done this before to me, even old ones that had crappy seals.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭meercat

change the setting to air intake instead of recycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Change the pollen filter, this can often cause it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Stop shagging in the car.....:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Had a '99 Focus estate once, all windows constantly fogged up.
    Even when driving with air on full blast at the windows with the heat to the max it was still a steam bath.
    Looked under the carpets, right enough there was a lake in the rear footwell, left hand side I think.
    Checked the airfilter, window seals, door seals, bulkhead, underbody, bootlid, windows and door bottoms.
    Nothing.
    Removed all seats, carpets and interior trim (i.e. stripped the inside of the car completely back to metal), set up a sprinkler hose and checked all corners of the car, whilst moving the sprinkler hose around.
    Nothing. No sign of any leak anywhere.
    Finally had to give up and sell it. That fixed it. New car doesn't leak.
    I've had several cars with leaks before and I always found the leak, but it's a huge PITA and not always successful.
    So, check for damp spots on your carpet, if you find any, you have a leak somewhere.
    Hope you find it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Most likely moisture somewhere.

On a side, one thing that really bugs the hell out of me is people who get in their car and turn up everything full blast, wipe the window with their paw, turn off everything once the widow is clear, let all windows fog up completely then follow the last few steps on repeat.

For Gawds sake set a desireable temp and leave the fan on low and constant and you will never have to deal with this fogging up buzz. Also: never, ever, ever, wipe the windscreen with your greasy hands to try rid it of condensation or anything else!

:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Most likely moisture somewhere.
    no way...ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Had a '99 Focus estate once, all windows constantly fogged up.
    Even when driving with air on full blast at the windows with the heat to the max it was still a steam bath.
    Looked under the carpets, right enough there was a lake in the rear footwell, left hand side I think.
    Checked the airfilter, window seals, door seals, bulkhead, underbody, bootlid, windows and door bottoms.
    Nothing.
    Removed all seats, carpets and interior trim (i.e. stripped the inside of the car completely back to metal), set up a sprinkler hose and checked all corners of the car, whilst moving the sprinkler hose around.
    Nothing. No sign of any leak anywhere.
    Finally had to give up and sell it. That fixed it. New car doesn't leak.
    I've had several cars with leaks before and I always found the leak, but it's a huge PITA and not always successful.
    So, check for damp spots on your carpet, if you find any, you have a leak somewhere.
    Hope you find it!

had a similalir problem with a golf. Never found a leak but cleaned all passages and crevices on exterior of car from leaves and stopped parking it under a tree it and it stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭aidhan

Its possible that you have a slight leak in your heater rad and when the car warms up it seals due to expansion and the screen clears. Rad weld or similar may sort this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Had this problem with my car, went to garage told me they would have to take off the sunroof, load of work needed to get to the problem...cue the mechanic shaking his head and saying its gonna cost you the guts of 1200 euro to fix this. Said I'd take it for a second opinion somewhere else, second mechanic said leave it with him for a few hours, rang me told me the moisture was coming in from the aerial, cost me 20 euro...no problems since....

Moral of story if you are a woman be careful some mechanics will try to rip you off. Get a second opinion.
    :)

Advertisement