Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - After School Study?

• 11-09-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Our school is running an after-school study session this year, and I'm torn about going to it or not. It's very strict, there'd be no messing/distractions there. Thing is, it'll be 100 euro, but I was thinking that if I got all my written work done during it (it's just over two hours) then I can get home and get right down to actual studying. Has anybody done it before, and if so, did you find it beneficial? Any advice would be much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Our school is running an after-school study session this year, and I'm torn about going to it or not. It's very strict, there'd be no messing/distractions there. Thing is, it'll be 100 euro, but I was thinking that if I got all my written work done during it (it's just over two hours) then I can get home and get right down to actual studying. Has anybody done it before, and if so, did you find it beneficial? Any advice would be much appreciated! :D

I would do it if I were you. Especially if your school can guarantee hassle free study. You would get your homework done by 6 o clock most nights unless you had a couple of essays to do. That would allow you an hour or two of rest at home before a few hours of study. Evening study can be hard to work in with lots of distraction. You would be surprised at how distracting it is to have people getting up to go to the toilet every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Depends on you. Some people would definitely benefit from ASS. Some can study fine at home.
    edit - I should really check before I acronymize everything :P

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

It depends on your personality and your family. It's nearly impossible to study in my house because if I'm home I'm always being called to help with older/younger relatives. 100 euro is a small price for after school study - think how little it'll cost per hour while you're in there. You probably spend more on lunch.

I'd just recommend actually studying instead of doing written homework. I'm not bashing homework, it does help to cement things in your brain, but the point of studying is to remember the material in your exams, not to get written work out of the way so you can chillax at home. Homework has to be done, so I found my results were a lot better when I studied in study and I did homework at home - after all, when you have to do homework you do it. But when it's boring study it's easy to just say "Ah sure I'm too tired". Good luck with it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

My problem with evening study is that while I'm there I get my homework done and on my way home I'm always like oh i've so much done i just have to do another hour of study but when I get home I will do everything else but not study. I have tried to change it but I can't get myself to study. Any tips to motivate and focus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I'm doing it this year for the first time...it's right after school for 2h15m and I do get a lot done...at home I just get distracted by stuff so I find it quite beneficial but it depends on what you prefer...some people can't study in a quiet environment..I always do the first hour homework, then study for an hour and finish the homework at home..this way I get at least the hour of study because I know that I wouldn't do it at home if I just did my homework at study...

If that makes sense lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

That's a lot of money they are charging, for a term we get it for 50 euros and even with financial difficulties a word to the principle and its minimal price for you.

Make the most of it and use it. If you get nice breaks its fantastic and you do so much work if you can keep focused. Cannot stress enough how good it is, especially if you get distracted at home easily like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

In our school it's 150 Euro Per term!!! And 30 in the girl school next door who get it funded :confused:

Try it and see if it works for you, in my school it's crap. Full of people who don't want to be there and the supervisors aren't strict enough. Which is a real shame, cause instead of getting home at 4:45 in the afternoon, i'v already done an hour study, theoretically.

So, give it a bash this term, if it's good it'll definitely be worth it. I won't be doing it next term anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Jesus Lads your all so lucky, our school always has the most favoured teachers doing the study which means everybody starts talking to them and I can't stand it!(I'm the kind of person where any kind of noise will distract me) Then at home it's worse because no matter where I am you can hear the tv blasting!

I've been thinking of going to a library to study instead but I end school at 4:05 and by the time I get the bus anywhere it'll be 5:20 ish and my mum will be hassling me to get home for dinner for 7ish :mad:

Advertisement