Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthews Coach Question.

Options
  • 11-09-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

The last thread had the title :"Matthews Coache are a bloody shambles!!!" so I didn't want to top that and give publicity which is incorrect and trollish.

I'm starting the commute tomorrow morning to Ballyfermot.

I'll know my timetable from tomorrow morning and was going to get the 7:30 bus leaving Dundalk direct. I'll be getting my Dublin bus from Eden Quay ( across O'Connell street and it leaves at 8:47 ) Generally enough Matthews are there in around an hour or 1:10 minutes. Worst case scenario giving me 7 minutes to get there. However for days when I'll not need a 9am start I'm just wondering does the bus usually get held up around the 6:30/7/7:30 bus into Dublin due to the traffic ?

The only solace getting me through the fact I'm commuting for the year is the comfy seats on the Matthews and the Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are generally good on time. Getting from Parnell Sq to Eden Quay in 7 minutes will be a push though.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Yes it does get held up around those times, I don't think you'd make your Dublin bus if you only left Dundalk at half 7 tbh, could always get the 7am one instead? Matthews coaches take an hour/hour and ten mins when the roads are quiet, not on weekday mornings coming into the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I use this everyday from Drogheda takes 1 hour each day. Best bet would be to get the 7 as traffic gets heavy from the 7.30 one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

At the moment the traffic isn't too bad but they're going to be doing widening around the Malhide bridge from November.

You could get the bus to the IFSC, gets there about 8.35 by going through the port tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Got the seven this morning, then the 8:27 from the quay and arrived in around 8:50.

Made the 8:27 by a few minutes. Thankfully not in at 9 every day so it should be touch and go otherwise. The 78/a seems to be a great service as there was another bus at 8:31.

Finally I got my ten trip ticket today and I'm home now so it has one stamp in it. Did he forget to stamp it this morning or does that count as one of the ten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Finally I got my ten trip ticket today and I'm home now so it has one stamp in it. Did he forget to stamp it this morning or does that count as one of the ten.

The ticket counts as one of the ten :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Here is my question , Heading to DIT aungier street myself , Plan on getting the seven bus direct , is there a couple of buses there at that time going to IFSC / Parnel ?

Little Pea wrote: »
    Here is my question , Heading to DIT aungier street myself , Plan on getting the seven bus direct , is there a couple of buses there at that time going to IFSC / Parnel ?

At half 7 one goes to Parnell St. and one goes to the IFSC.

amacachi wrote: »
    At half 7 one goes to Parnell St. and one goes to the IFSC.

What is the average time the one at 7.30 gets to Parnell St. ?

Might have to get the 7 , if im in dit aungier street for 9 ???

What is the average time the one at 7.30 gets to Parnell St. ?

Might have to get the 7 , if im in dit aungier street for 9 ???

If I'm getting the 7.30 I go to the IFSC. I imagine the 7.30 should be in between 8.35 and 8.45.

• Advertisement

Leaving it a bit tight , Looks like 7' starts for me for the next year until i get the Msc after my name anyway :-P .

Thanks for the answers anyway , good stuff.

Didn't notice your United sig, get the 8, you'll be grand. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Leaving it a bit tight , Looks like 7' starts for me for the next year until i get the Msc after my name anyway :-P .

Thanks for the answers anyway , good stuff.

I have the same problem, getting from Parnell to Aungier in time but I got the 16 bus this morning on O'Connell St (€1.20) and it drops off outside the building, it could be an option for you, its a bit of a walk if you are late for class. I think I was in Aungier by about 8.35am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

annex wrote: »
    I have the same problem, getting from Parnell to Aungier in time but I got the 16 bus this morning on O'Connell St (€1.20) and it drops off outside the building, it could be an option for you, its a bit of a walk if you are late for class. I think I was in Aungier by about 8.35am.

16a will take the same route from the same stop as the regular 16 so don't afraid to get on which ever one comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

At the moment the traffic isn't too bad but they're going to be doing widening around the Malhide bridge from November.

You could get the bus to the IFSC, gets there about 8.35 by going through the port tunnel.

WHAT??!! Don't tell me we're going to have more roadworks on the M1 causing chaotic 9 miles tailbacks?!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

kormak wrote: »
    WHAT??!! Don't tell me we're going to have more roadworks on the M1 causing chaotic 9 miles tailbacks?!!

Ah here, I'm thinking the same. I have only started using the M1 again this Summer having used the M2 from Drogheda for the previous year because of the slowdown approaching Swords. Now its gonna go back to the way it was. Ah well, hello Ashbourne!

I'm not joking alas. I'd say it'll be a bit worse than last time too since it's going right back as far as Junction 4 which is already a bit of a pinch point. If they're not retards they should do the bridge/junction area either first or last as a seperate part rather than having the works the full length the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

More roadworks on M1...ah fcek it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Does the Malahide bridge really need widening? I thought that since the 3 lane section has opened, it has helped greatly at reducing traffic tailbacks - are there ever queues leading back as far as the Malahide bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

I think I may be a jinx :o
    The last time I used the Matthews service regularly the Malahide viaduct collapsed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I'll know my timetable from tomorrow morning and was going to get the 7:30 bus leaving Dundalk direct.

It can take well over 90 minutes some mornings and you probably won't arrive in Dublin before 9. It's not a nice commute.

This isn't the fault of Matthew's bus. They are stuck in the same traffic from the airport to the city centre as everyone else. The govt need to make a bus/carpool lane from Dundalk to Dublin and forget daft notions like extending the dart to the airport.

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    It can take well over 90 minutes some mornings and you probably won't arrive in Dublin before 9. It's not a nice commute.

This isn't the fault of Matthew's bus. They are stuck in the same traffic from the airport to the city centre as everyone else. The govt need to make a bus/carpool lane from Dundalk to Dublin and forget daft notions like extending the dart to the airport.

When was the last time it took that long other than an accident on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

When was the last time it took that long other than an accident on the motorway?

Takes that long regularly when the schools and colleges are back

Well looks like a 7'oclock bus for me then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

doncarlos wrote: »

I drive from M'Boice to Ballsbridge every day, at varying times throughout the morning. Don't use the East Link either and it still has not taken me 90 minutes once.
    I would consider 1hr15mins busy these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Have you seen that Matthews are intending to run a bus to UCD? http://matthews.ie/en/about-us/news perhaps when they organize the stops there will be one closer to Eden Quay which will be more convenient for the 78A?

Just a thought.

doncarlos wrote: »

Last year it didn't. We got as far as the Port Tunnel by 8.15, 8.20 at the very latest once the roadworks were clearing up last spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

tenchi-fan wrote: »

Do you even use the matthews bus?

This week alone i have gotten the 6, 6.30, 7 and the 7.30 and the longest journey was 1hour 10 mins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

neacy69 wrote: »

This week alone i have gotten the 6, 6.30, 7 and the 7.30 and the longest journey was 1hour 10 mins....

I used to get the 7.30 bus until last November and it was terrible. The earlier buses were fine. Summer time was always ok, but as the days get shorter and weather gets worse the commute gets worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

neacy69 wrote: »

Matthews' stick to the speed limit for buses!!!

Advertisement