Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD by dart?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm just wondering what is the best way to get to UCD by dart? According to google maps Booterstown is closer than Sydney Parade however friends have told me that the latter is at least 5mins quicker.
    I'm not sure if it matters but the majority of my lectures will be in the arts and science buildings.

Thank you in advance for any replies,
    Arod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

DART to Blackrock, Route 17 bus from Blackrock rail station to UCD.

Alternatively, DART to Sydney Parade, Route 3 bus from Ailesbury Road to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I get off at Sydney Parade and I'm pretty sure it's quicker. On top of that, you're treated through a stroll through Tesco in the Merville Shopping Centre and you can brighten up the day by shouting "BRING BACK THE PANEL!!" as you waltz past the RTE building.

Cross the road then, turn into that housing estate place and that brings you to the back of health sciences building which I'm 96% sure is a faster way to get to the hub then walking down to the main entrance.

Alternatively, get the no.3 bus from outside the dart station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 arod

96% does sound rather confident!
    However I believe the panel hasn't been good since Dara O Briain left in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I always got off at SP and followed the route freak posted. The 3 is great if it comes straight away but if you're waiting 15 mins for it to arrive you would have been better off walking. If the bus matches up well with your dart arrival you're laughing.

I was always interested in having a bike to use from dart to ucd and back but not sure how safe that would be (for the bike).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 arod

I wonder would there be enough of a footfall to warrant a feeder bus from Sydney Parade dart station?

Adding up the cost of petrol, traffic congestion, poor parking facilities and the possible government assistance to reduce co2 emissions maybe it would be a worthwhile venture for UCD to look into or should I go it alone and bring my idea in front of the Dragons?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was always interested in having a bike to use from dart to ucd and back but not sure how safe that would be (for the bike).

I doubt it would be too safe, I know somebody who had a bike stolen at Sydney Parade. If you have a crap beater bike with a good lock (a U lock and a cable lock preferably) then maybe you'll be ok, but the problem with locking your bike at a train station is that it's pretty obvious that you are gone on a train, and that you'll be away from the bike at quite a while.

Of course, you can take the bike on the DART at off-peak times which is an option to consider!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

arod wrote: »
    I wonder would there be enough of a footfall to warrant a feeder bus from Sydney Parade dart station?

Adding up the cost of petrol, traffic congestion, poor parking facilities and the possible government assistance to reduce co2 emissions maybe it would be a worthwhile venture for UCD to look into or should I go it alone and bring my idea in front of the Dragons?

There was a feeder bus over a decade ago, the 52, it was amalgamated with the 3 in 1998.

If ya have mobile internet you could check this link which would give you an idea if the 2/3 are on their way to Sydney Parade. They leave UCD on the half-hour during the day, so in theory, one should be headed to UCD every 30 mins..

Alternatively you might be lucky to catch a 47 to the Montrose Hotel. Walk around the corner to the Merrion Road. This link might be useful to ya if ya have mobile internet access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I doubt it would be too safe, I know somebody who had a bike stolen at Sydney Parade. If you have a crap beater bike with a good lock (a U lock and a cable lock preferably) then maybe you'll be ok, but the problem with locking your bike at a train station is that it's pretty obvious that you are gone on a train, and that you'll be away from the bike at quite a while.

Of course, you can take the bike on the DART at off-peak times which is an option to consider!

I did it for a month and a half, no bother. Had a ****ty bike, stuck 2 good locks on it and brought the saddle with me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Raphael wrote: »
    I did it for a month and a half, no bother. Had a ****ty bike, stuck 2 good locks on it and brought the saddle with me.

That's the key I think. If the bike is crap enough, no one will be bothered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That's the key I think. If the bike is crap enough, no one will be bothered.

Make sure to park it next to a bike that isn't well locked. As they say, if you are part of a group and a bear chases you, you don't need to outrun the bear, you just need to outrun the guy next to you :p

And some people are just awful at locking their bikes. I once saw a very expensive racer bike (it was a Specialized brand), locked entirely with a cable lock attached to their quick release front wheel /facepalm

• Advertisement
Advertisement