Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf mk V price?

• 11-09-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

How do they compare to the focus?Are they nice to drive?Whats the going rate for the golf mk5?Im looking at years 04-07 and have seen people pricing them from 4000-12000e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Overpriced for what they are imo especially the lesser models. 1.4 is a terrible performer just like the Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Ensti

If you compare a Golf V to a Focus, the Golf wins in my opinion. I drove both of these back in 2007. However, I think its all down to the spec of the car (GT TDi, TSI etc). So, test drive both and just choose what you think is better. I would imagine most people would pick a Golf. If you have the cash, go for a GT TDi or if you choose the Focus go for the Zetec or GHIA (STAY WELL AWAY FROM THE LX MODEL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Golfs went past their sell by date in 1992 when the MKIII came in.
    VW are living off the back of reputations belonging to long gone models.
    Well built interiors is all they are good at now.
    Golf's are for middle aged people who know next to nothing about cars, but think Golfs are still ok.
    Meanwhile, Ford have come a long way. The MKII and MKIII focus are the best cars in their class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

It depends what you want it for.

The Focus seems to be the mechanics choice in terms of least trouble, the Golf feels better built, possibly better laid out. Take your pick, if you're a "driver" buy the Focus, if you're an "accountant" buy the Golf is something I've heard. Realistically, either are quite competent its up to you which you like best.

I'm talking about diesels, if you're looking for a petrol avoid VW like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

MK5s are nice cars with nice interiors. However weve got a MK5 in the family and Ive a MK4 and tbh I prefer the MK4 every time. Never liked the overassisted unreliable electric power steering on the MK5. Youd do alot worse than a loved MK4 GTi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Hiace. wrote: »
    Golf's are for middle aged people who know next to nothing about cars, but think Golfs are still ok.

I am middle aged but I do know a thing or two about cars so your statement is so wrong ;)

I have the worst one, its a 06 1.4 so its heavy on gas and sluggish but its still a great car. It has an assured road feel, you are certainly not disconnected from the road and its very comfy to sit in for long journeys or heavy traffic. Its has been reliable and in 5 years has not missed a beat and apart from basic servicing has not cost a cent in repairs.

I had 05 focus as a company car in the UK, again its a fine car does the job perfectly but does not have the same road presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Is the 1.4 as sluggish as the 1.4 focus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Is the 1.4 as sluggish as the 1.4 focus?

Its geared to make the most of it but yes, it is.

Advertisement