Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for rottie's :( help please

• 11-09-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all,

My fianceé and I have just lost our jobs. Both of us were working for the same company which closed down last week.!!

Our problems are just begining. But our main priorty now is the situation around our 2 best friends, our rottie's..

We may be forced to emigrate across to Oz, Canada, etc.. We have yet to decide location.

Our dilema is wheter to re-home, our pets, who we have devoted our live's to over the past 3 years.. I am going to ask my older brother to take the 2 of them and care for them while we try make a life for ourselves in the new world.

But in the case of my brother turning away my 2 dogs (which is highly likely), as he already owns 3 dogs.

I want to be sure that the best care and attention goes into re-homing our 2 dogs. I am ravished with guilt at the moment at the taughts of selling, or re-homing my 2 dearest friends/pets elsewhere..

Has anybody got any adivise on where to start looking or advertising for to get our 2 beautiful dogs a decent respectful home, away from the puppy farmers and d**kh**ds looking for status symbol to walk beside.

My 2 girls are amazing pets, have been house dogs since we have them. One is 3 years old, neutured. The second is 1 and half, and not netured.

Is there any rottie lovers out there able to help.. Please please any help and info which will make this decision will be appricated.

PS: Before the comments come in and start slating my decision to maybe re-home or sell my pets, It is a last resort, and its not something i take lightly. In fact, its breaking my heart and my Fianceé's

My dogs, will not be going anywhere without me first checking the background of the person for past experience and to mak sure they are able to handle the strength an determination of this amazing breed.

All helpful comments welcome.. (Any posts slating or starting stupid conversations off topic will be ignored, so dont bother replying unless it will benifit my situation.)

Thanks in advance
    Wayne

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bloody hell... What a horrible decision to have to make :-(
    My heart goes out to you. It's some blow losing your jobs, but having to leave home, family and dogs is so, so sad.
    I'm assuming the expense of bringing them with you is putting you off that option?
    The biggest, absolute biggest priority is to get the 2nd female spayed. It is the single most effective safeguard to prevent her falling into the wrong hands, or staying in the wrong hands should that happen.
    You're right to thoroughly check potential homes out. Insist that they are kept as indoor dogs.
    It'd be important to have a back-up option for them should things go belly-up. Even if it's your brother just getting them out of where they are and into kennels until an alternative is found. When new owners know they're not "stuck" with a problem, it helps them relax about things.
    If you have even the smallest niggling doubt about a potential home, even if it seems trivial, listen to that inner voice! It's usually right!
    The homes needed page of irishanimals.ie is a great place to post animals in need of a new home as it gets a lot of traffic. Listing the terms of the rehoming on these websites is a useful way of cutting down on timewasters and unsuitable homes.
    I'd be inclined to forget the idea of selling them. Concentrate on getting a top quality home for them, and perhaps ask the new people to donate a few quid to charity in lieu of payment.
    It mightn't do any harm to talk nicely to a couple of reputable rescues to see would they put your dogs on their websites, and keep an ear out for a potential home for them.
    Good luck with what's ahead. I don't envy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

Thanks DBB,

Your right, the cost of traveling with them, has already crossed our paths.. We have looked into every angle possible to keep them, but if the reailty comes and we have no choice but to pass them onto a siutable home we will.. Money is not our priorty. In fact money has nothing to do with it..

I want whats best for the worlds best pets.. I am in this for the logn haul and dont expect this to be easy.. It certainly is nto going to be easy emotionally for me or my other half.. We both are cut up to bits here even thinking about this outcome.

Thanks so much for the helpful info.. If you can think of anything else that may help benifit this situation i would gladly take it on board..

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Jeez Wayne I don't envy you, this is one of my worst nightmares. I have three dogs and really don't know what I'd do if I had to emigrate. I looked into costs and quarantine before when I was considering moving to Oz but only had one dog at the time.

As the other poster said, get your other dog spayed and concentrate on finding the perfect home and forget selling them. Would you consider rehoming them separately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

So sad to hear that - its bad enough having to go abroad for work but especially difficult leaving family and pets. Maybe talk to <snip> I know they take great care rehoming animals. Best of luck to you all

Yes the option of re-homing them seperate is on the cards.. Bar the fact the 2 girls are best firends.. I know dogs are dogs.. they live in the now, so as hard as it may be to leave them go there own ways is not been ruled out.. I know how hard it is to feed and maintain 2 med/large breed dogs.. So i could not honestly expect someone to home both dogs.. I would be un-realistic..

With the younger rottie i own she is fully papered and pedigree.. So if someone who was well in the know of the breed and was a registered breeder of the rotties, i would defnitly consider selling her to him/her once i know she will get the best that life can offer.

The older one like all dogs have their own personailties and is not papered, but is neutered.

All l am afraid of is. that some one will take them thinking its going to be rosey.. when in fact these dogs need, fully attention, walks, and mental an physical excersise daily.. they are a challenege but the reward of them in your life will always make it worth it. All I want the best of the best for them..

<snip>

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

+1 to getting the other dog neutered and homechecking the possible new homes. The next biggest bit of advice I would give is to make sure you have plenty of time to search for new home/s for them. Rotties don't get chosen quickly so not being in a rush is very important.

Also email your local rescues, many of them will put up private dogs looking for homes on their website or facebook pages to give you a hand finding new homes, you'll have to vet all the calls yourself though and choose the home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Seriously, forget the papers and pedigree, if you want her kept as a pet dog, spay her. Unless she's from super lines and would be highly desirable to a great breeder, who won't sell her onwards or ve tempted to overbreed from her.
    Andreac on this forum will be a great source of info for you as she shows rotties and knows who's who in the rottie world. Andrea may also have ideas for finding them a home.
    However, as someone who rehomes a lot if dogs, I simply wouldn't dream of allowing a dog leave my hands without the safeguard of being reproductively decommissioned. No matter what happens, you know a neutered dog is safer than an entire one.

I agree with you toatally on the neuturing sides of it.. and yes i would defnitly consider taken her for the snip. I definitly would rather her be kept as a pet than used as a puppy machine for some over rated breeder who doesnt give a fiddlers about her health..

Papers and pedigree were only mentioned as to state the status.. Its so hard to know whats right at the moment..

Our heads are so confused at the moment to decide the best possible action to make this easier.. the fact is, i know this will break my heart and of course my Fianceé's.

Nothing is going to make this any easier. I just need to focus on the best intrests of the dogs right now..

I have spoken breifly to Andrea before on previous posts. I will seek her advise in the coming days.. If Andrea is reading this post, please PM me if you want to get involved or offer any help. That would be brilliant.

Thanks again DBB..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Wayne, if money isnt an option right now you know its possible to have your girls with you if you end up in the States/Canada dont you. Dogs leaving Ireland (and have only lived in Ireland) dont need the big rigmarole of the Pet Passport but will need a vet cert as such. Transportation is where the money issue comes into. (PM me for a very reasonable companys name). Have had a few friends do this.

If your brother could keep them until you got yourself established in another country theres NO reason why you cant have them with you wherever you end up. Leaving Ireland is NOT the end of the world for you and your girlies!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I don't know if you'll view this as a good or bad story, but i'll tell it anyway.

I was contacted at the beginning of this year by a couple who were having to emigrate and had 2 pb siberian huskies. They wanted to rehome the dogs, and wanted them to stay together. They tried everything, and eventually, as time was running out, thought they had found a great home for the dogs. They went and put fencing up themselves in the new family's garden, but the new family were asked to do one thing to ensure the dogs' safety, they didn't do it, so they didn't get the dogs. Both of these dogs are IKC registered, and in their owner's views, had great lines. As they had to leave the country, both dogs came to me. It soon became apparent that these two dogs didn't need to live together, and I managed to find a fantastic home for the bitch, with another sibe, and a family who absolute dote on her and her 'brother'.

The male sibe is still here with me, he's been here since April, but the great news is that his original owners have got themselves sorted in Australia and have applied for his licence, we are just waiting for the final paperwork, and he will be joining them down under. We have all of the transportation and quarantine arranged. Even though they would have loved to take both dogs, they couldn't afford to do that, and they also couldn't choose which dog to take, and which to leave behind. But, things have worked themselves out, and the decision was made for them.

Even though at the moment, things must seem really dark, hopefully it will all work out. I think andrea has gone away on holiday, so maybe contact the rottie club yourself, and see if they have a rehoming scheme. Would you consider your dogs' breeders to be reputable, responsible people? Ideally, if they are, they should take the dogs back, but only do this if you really trust them. I would agree with DBB, and get the other girl spayed.

Best of luck, such a hard time for you and your fiancee.

• Advertisement

Pm sent AnnieHoo.. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

sent you a pm just there wayne

cheers Gar.. Thanks for the support everyone.. If any of ye can think of anything in the mean time, please dont hesitate to contact me either via PM or through this thread..

Thanks. :)

Advertisement