Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colm Murray on rte sport tonight

• 11-09-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear Colm Murray on RTE sport this evening.His speech was a bit slurred.I know he is suffering from a terrible illness.its very sad for this great man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

fire_man wrote: »
    Anyone hear Colm Murray on RTE news tonight.His speech was a bit slurred.Its very sad to hear that.I know he is suffering from a terrible illness.

Yes i did hear him,and have noticed and wondered why he is still employed?

no offence meant by the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah the poor man is suffering from lou gehrig's disease, cant be easy but he wants to continue working as long as he can, you dont see him in picture anymore just as a voice over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

It's getting more and more slurred, poor guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Sounds like the Motor Neurone Disease is progressing, unfortunately.

Someone in RTE is going have to make a tough decision before it gets embarrasing for everyone concerned.

Better for him to stop broadcasting before it becomes impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I noticed this a few times. Was thinking he must be sick.

All the best to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Alan murphy

I dont see what the problem is? I head the report and i could understand every word he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I was gonna post about this last week, but I didnt want to bring attention to it... It was mentioned on another forum early in July... It is very sad, but fair play to Colm for ploughing on regardless..

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I didnt know he was ill :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yes i did hear him,and have noticed and wondered why he is still employed?

no offence meant by the way.

Maybe he wants to continue working and an organisation really can't tell him to stop.

The actress who played Mags in Fair City (Joan Brosnan Walsh) suffered from the same condition and continued to work as long as she could on the show (RIP).

Unfortunately the prognosis for anybody with this disease is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

If work is something that keeps his mind off the illness, I don't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Skid wrote: »
    Sounds like the Motor Neurone Disease is progressing, unfortunately.

Someone in RTE is going have to make a tough decision before it gets embarrasing for everyone concerned.

Better for him to stop broadcasting before it becomes impossible.

I can understand every word Colm says in his reports. Jacqui Hurley is the one who should get the boot from RTE Sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

sounds drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    sounds drunk

Good man Kev, go back to your PS3.

Fair play to Colm, I heard the report and understood every word aswell. While that remains the case, let the fella plough on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I heard it alright. Had no idea he was unwell though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I think in this case that he should be allowed go on as long as he can, or wants to. His slurring was very noticeable, but he spoke quite clearly. If he wants to go out doing what he loves, who are we to say that he shouldn't? Very sad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Its terrible sad the whole thing. He is obviously gone downhill badly in last month or so, he does sound like a drunk. But can still easily make out what he is saying, and he loves his horse racing and reporting on it.

Rte are 100% right to leave him there as long as he can, it's probably all he has at this stage, and i'm sure allows him to feel normal as he does it.

Its all so so sad, terrible disease, already has him in a wheelchair and all happened so fast.

He probably doesn't have long left, and as long as he still makes some sense on his reports I hope they keep him involved as thats what he loves and what he has known for years.

I have nothing against Colm, I am sad to see he is so ill. But his illness will only get worse with time. His voice is already weak and at some point he will be unable to brodcast.

I hope it doesn't get to the stage where he has to be asked to leave, like Sean O'Ceallachain

http://www.thescore.ie/listen-legendary-gaa-announcer-sean-og-o-ceallachain-calls-it-for-the-last-time-133464-May2011/
    Having joined his father on the programme in 1948 – broadcasting as Gaeilge – he ultimately took over the job in 1953.

When his father developed a bad cough, Radio Eireann bosses forced Seán Óg to break the news of Sean Snr’s sacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

fire_man wrote: »
    Anyone hear Colm Murray on RTE sport this evening.His speech was a bit slurred.I know he is suffering from a terrible illness.its very sad for this great man.

Heard that and noticed a difference, I wish him and his family well, always struck me as a nice guy and good professional broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Motor Neurone Disease has to be one of the cruellest conditions ever. Last June, I attended a fundraising event for Paul Darbyshire, (Head of Strength and Conditioning with Munster Rugby). A week later he passed away at 41 years of age.

I think Colm Murray is an inspiration and I feel he should be the one to decide when it's time to leave RTE. I'd like to wish him well with his battle with MND, he is a brave man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I did hear him indeed, fair play to him for battling on.

Likeable guy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I came here to post about this but someone beat me to it, I was actually going ask did anyone else notice his speech (I actually thought he had been drinking as he's some man for it) but didn't know he was sick. I did hear every word he said perfectly though and he should continue for as long as he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

deccurley wrote: »
    Good man Kev, go back to your PS3.

Fair play to Colm, I heard the report and understood every word aswell. While that remains the case, let the fella plough on.

Calm down kid, I was just saying what I thought. Im sure he is a nice guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brainseeker

The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it. I think Colm has it right and look forward to hearing lots more sports reports from a legend of our time. I wish I had his courage and dignity.
    Remember” Don’t judge the Indian until you walked a mile in his moccasins.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Red Right Hand

I was thinking there was something wrong, didn't know it was public knowledge, all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shortwave radio listener

Colm Murray will be interviewed by Sean O'Rourke in an hour long program next monday at 2pm on RTE Radio one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I've noticed the past few nights that he doesnt seem to be doing the horse racing reports any more... Is he just off for the holidays or has he packed it in..... (the speech impeded by his illness was unfortunately becoming very noticable :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

Is he actually ill or are people speculating here?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

wayfarers wrote: »
    Is he actually ill or are people speculating here?

He has motor neuron disease. There's an Irish Times article about it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

He was on The Late Late Show talking about it last year. Very Sad.

If I recall correctly from the time, I think it was actually his boss in RTE that made him (in a friendly way) go back in and start broadcasting again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Colm Murray interview with Sean O'Rourke today.

Listened to this earlier. What an incredibly funny, smart and honest man he is. This was a recording of an interview he gave to Sean O'Rourke back in June in NUIG where he studied French back in the early 70's. I though it was going to be a more recent interview but I suppose giving his weakening voice as the Summer went on then he might not be able for something like this any longer.

This interview and his appearance on the Late Late last year proved he was much more than just a sportscaster and ita a shame we didn't get to hear much more from him outside the newsroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 iarmhii

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody has a link to where this interview can be accessed ? Also is there any possibility it will become available to download as a podcast ?

Many Thanks
    iarmhii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A3156768%3A9153%3A02%2D01%2D2012%3A

Interview was held in the Aviva Stadium and not NUIG as I thought above.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Just listened to his interview there through the link on the IMNDA website. I'm just turned 30 & I feel like I've grown up with Colm Murray on RTE Sport. I didn't realise he was such a funny, articulate and genuine person. I wish him & his family all the very best. It is so sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

Remember listening to a long radio interview Colm Murray did with Alex Ferguson (am not a Man Utd fan) last year.

Couldn't get over how relaxed and open AF was in his answers to subjects ranging from horse racing to Michael Collins and the signing of the Treaty. Ferguson can be a difficult man to deal with at the best of times so credit to Colm, an excellent interviewer. Wishing him all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

ive no doubt that colm is a nice guy and its a personal tragedy for him that he contacted this illness but as a broadcaster and interviews , ive always found him incredibly hammy

• Advertisement

There is a documentary about Colm Murray and his battle with Motor Neurone Disease on RTE1 next Monday (Jan 23rd)
    MND - THE INSIDE TRACK (W)
    RTÉ One - 9.35pm

Sports broadcaster Colm Murray's battle with motor neurone disease, and his determination to contribute to efforts to find a cure. Led by his doctor Professor Orla Hardiman, Murray takes part in a series of trials and studies, as he seeks a better understanding of the illness that has afflicted him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Skid wrote: »
    There is a documentary about Colm Murray and his battle with Motor Neurone Disease on RTE1 next Monday (Jan 23rd)

I'll be making an appearance in that documentary as I was one of the guys working with his EEG in the Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience. Before meeting him I had no idea who he was, but having met the man I can honestly say he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. It's terrible that such a lovely man suffers from Motor Neuron Disease. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to meet him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Anyone see the documentary, was really sad, he seems to be still in RTÉ though.

yenom wrote: »
    Anyone see the documentary, was really sad, he seems to be still in RTÉ though.

Thread on that show here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76688043

Yeah, it was sad to watch although Colm's spirit and courage was inspirational.

Advertisement