Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What limits are there in AH ?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

I know AH is meant to be the "loose cannon" of boards, but the abuse and lies that were posted there this weekend were astonishing.

I reported a number of posts that accused me of all sorts, the worst being a terrorist supporter, and absolutely no action was taken. Any challenges or questions by a couple of those with the same mindset were ignored, just repeating the false accusations.

Is there a limit in AH ? And if I lower myself to the standard of the poster in question and slander them, for example accusing them of being a paedophile (in a non-joking manner, if such a thing is possible) is that acceptable in AH ?

I'm not saying that I would lower myself to that, btw.....just asking.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In their defence, the AH mods seem a good, fair bunch. They're probably swamped - and it's a bit ambiguous at times also, as some stuff isn't quite abuse, it just about skirts it. Not that that makes it any less obnoxious. There's a tiny little cluster of peeps who low-level troll and know just how far they can push it without crossing the line. Shame such a small crew are hell-bent on this kind of mean-spiritedness, but it seems the net is closing in on them - pretty much everyone knows what they're like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Thanks Dudess.....and for the record I wasn't demanding immediate attention - the thread in question would have kept them busy for hours alone......I guess it was just checking whether those reports were ignored because they were within AH parameters (and therefore it would be OK to fire back a similar - albeit not as low - reply) or whether it was indeed a "swamped" issue.

I know the replies can be hard to "read" as well.....it's a bit like the "subtle" difference between me calling a mate a "f**king bollox" and calling Ahern a "f**king bollox".....the first of those is very much a ball-hop, while the alternative is a genuine opinion......minus the intonation and facial expression, it could be hard to tell the difference.

The posts in the 9/11 thread in question definitely need a read through, though - either the individuals in question are seasoned trolls or else they are very, very serious about slandering anyone who questions their stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When did you report these posts? Was it today? Or over the last several days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Overheal wrote: »
    When did you report these posts? Was it today? Or over the last several days?

Mostly Saturday. May have been one or two on Friday - EDIT : yes, the abuse started at 11pm on Friday night with a "heads up own arses" comment and got progressively worse until I was accused of being a terrorist sympathiser and ignored the 2 involved.

It even continued after I ended up ignoring the 2 making the claims, with plenty of snide comments designed to suck me back in, with a few of the posts quoted by others, but common sense prevailed and I avoided the worst of the bait.

And I know it's the weekend - hence the check here to see if there was a limit to what could be said in AH, in which case my reports may have been viewed differently if there were absolutely no limits.

Advertisement