Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for studying in Northern Ireland?

• 11-09-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi :)
    I'm doing my Leaving next year and I'm considering colleges already (a bit early, I know :P) and my two top choices are Trinity and Queen's in Belfast, but I don't know if you can get the same kinds of financial aid in NI as you can here to help pay for fees etc., anyone here who has studied in NI and gotten a grant?

Thanks guys :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

i did my masters in queens

if you are eligible for the local authority higher education grant then you will have your fees paid for up to about €5,500....so you get the non adjacent grant (in the band based on your parents and your income) and your fees paid for. if you're not eligible for the LA grant then you will have to pay your fees yourself (this may be means tested as there is reform on the horizon for fees in the UK, so somewhere between £2000 and £9000) and not receive the grant...i.e. very expensive

if you go to trinity and are eligible for LA grant you'll have your registration fee paid (€2000) and depending on where your parents live the adjacent or non adjacent grant. if you're not eligible for the grant then you will pay €2000 registration fee plus the levee of €85 and not receive the grant.

www.studentfinance.ie is a great website to find out what band you fall in to for income and the stipulations required to apply for the top up grant which is an extra €3000 on top of the normal grant.

you're right to look at all the angles and to research where to go...you should go to college with your eyes wide open.

im now in Trinity and thoroughly enjoy it there. i have the grant but just waiting to hear if i'm non adjacent or adjacent as drogheda is just over 45km from Trinity depending on where you live in the town.

best of luck in the leaving cert!

Advertisement