Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minimum deer calibre

Options
  • 11-09-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi lads just wondering whats the minimum deer legal calibre in the republic
    cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

goshawker wrote: »
    hi lads just wondering whats the minimum deer legal calibre in the republic
    cheers in advance
    22-250

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Most people will say 22/250 but there are .220swifts licenced for deer aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »

I am surprised , i was told the npws was using the .243 winchester round as a minimum.

rowa wrote: »
    I am surprised , i was told the npws was using the .243 winchester round as a minimum.

I've seen two stalking permits for swift one of the lads has been stalking with it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

minimum .22 calibre with 55 grain weight, reccommended by npws is .243 min

• Advertisement

tfox wrote: »
    minimum .22 calibre with 55 grain weight, reccommended by npws is .243 min

They can recommend what they like but the fact is they've issued licences for swift no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Currently,the LAW SAYS MINIMUM 22-250 55gr. Where did you see someone with a licence for a swift???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A .22 caliber centrefire rifle, using a minimum 55gr bullet with a minimum 1,700ft/lb of energy at the muzzle.

A Swift would meet these requirements, but when you can get .243, 6.5, .270, and .308 licensed for the job why bother.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Longranger wrote: »
    Currently,the LAW SAYS MINIMUM 22-250 55gr. Where did you see someone with a licence for a swift???

I've seen two one of which has been licenced for several years now and using 60gr hornady.

Ezridax wrote: »
    A .22 caliber centrefire rifle, using a minimum 55gr bullet with a minimum 1,700ft/lb of energy at the muzzle.

A Swift would meet these requirements, but when you can get .243, 6.5, .270, and .308 licensed for the job why bother.

I think the only reason for using the swift is that these guys already had the rifles and didn't see the reason for changing them and spending a load of money to move up to a .243 or .270 etc
    If you were starting out at deer and didn't have a centrefire rifle then it would be silly to buy the swift as .243 is cheaper to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Fair enough,I was just wondering as npws site specifies 22-250,that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

They can recommend what they like but the fact is they've issued licences for swift no problem.

you posted while I was writing mine, wasnt trying to disagree just telling the op what the exact requirements are.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 teckel

22.250 minimum
    Dont go for anything smaller than 243 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

teckel wrote: »
    22.250 minimum
    Dont go for anything smaller than 243 though
    plenty of lads have great success with the 22.250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

plenty of lads have great success with the 22.250

True, but most who went up a calibre never went back.
    Sourcing the approved ammo can be also difficult where as even the lightest 58 grain Hornady .243 is deer legal.

And the 100 grain stuff has 200ftlbs more than the heaviest .22-250 at the muzzle.

And the .308 @200 yards has what the .243 has @ muzzle

so aim small, hit big ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

NPWS now require a 60gr minimum bullet weight. This is the 2nd season with this requirement. Lot of .22-250's out there won't shoot 60gr as accurately as 55gr, so if you're getting a new rifle, go minimum .243.

NPWS now require a 60gr minimum bullet weight. This is the 2nd season with this requirement.

Where did you find out this? Even their online downloadable application styill says 55gr minimum.
    Lot of .22-250's out there won't shoot 60gr as accurately as 55gr

I think thats a mistake. From a quick check the 60gr actually carries less energy than the 55 gr in .22/250. Its still legal, but only.
    , so if you're getting a new rifle, go minimum .243.

Absolutely.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Where did you find out this? Even their online downloadable application styill says 55gr minimum.

If you put 55gr on your application it will be rejected. Happened to me last year. I rang Ballybay who said 60gr was the new minimum. Their software for processing applications no longer lists 55gr on the pull down menu so they can't enter it. I rang the IDS who confirmed 60gr as the minimum. I reapplied listing 60gr and got my license.

(although I suspect a 55gr bullet fired from a 26" barrel will have more muzzle energy than a 60gr from a 22" - another example of arbitary decisions being made by the uninformed)

I've been told by a couple of gunsmiths that most .22-250's have the wrong twist rate for bullets heavier than 55gr. My own experience with 60gr backs this up.

Anyone using the 6.5 creedmoor for deer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Anyone using the 6.5 creedmoor for deer ?
    Cant see many hunters having much interest in the 6.5 creedmoor with the 6.5x55 around .Id say it would be a nice round ,all the same ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Know of one person who actually got a deer licence with a .223

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

How?

I know of no factory ammo from a .223 that can achieve the minimum standards set out by the NPWS/Gov.

323 wrote: »
    Know of one person who actually got a deer licence with a .223

Even if you could why would you want to ? To the best of my knowledge the muzzle energy of a .223 is around 1200 ft/lbs which is way below the 1700 required by the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Here's a handy little m/e calculator - just fill in the boxes -

http://www.reloadammo.com/footpound2.htm

Shows that in .223 calibre a 70gr bullet making 3350fps = 1744.2 ft lbs

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

How?

I know of no factory ammo from a .223 that can achieve the minimum standards set out by the NPWS/Gov.

How?

I have no idea, did not believe it when I was first told.
    Great little cartridge but not for deer.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

323 wrote: »
    How?

I have no idea, did not believe it when I was first told.
    Great little cartridge but not for deer.

75 grain doing 3200 fps is deer legal, but you need homemade rounds to get that so not an Irish option.

a friend of mine has a .223 for his son in US and they shoot deer, son is 14!

75 grain doing 3200 fps is deer legal, but you need homemade rounds to get that so not an Irish option.

a friend of mine has a .223 for his son in US and they shoot deer, son is 14!

Can you physically get enough powder into a small case like the .223 to propel a 75 grain bullet to those speeds though ?

Can you physically get enough powder into a small case like the .223 to propel a 75 grain bullet to those speeds though ?

I would not know, as I don't reload.
    I would assume that different powders would be used to generate the pressure

62 grain TSX
    27.5 grains Varget
    Win. cases
    Win. primer
    3400 FPS aprox.
    aprox 1500 foot pounds energy
    Gun ar15 Bushmaster SS varmit
    1-9" twist stainless bull barrel

This is about the hottest load i can find on the web and is copied from someone in america who uses this combo to shoot deer legally in his state, at 1500 ft/lbs its still a long way shy of the 1700 ft/lbs required by law.

• Advertisement

62 grain TSX
    27.5 grains Varget
    Win. cases
    Win. primer
    3400 FPS aprox.
    aprox 1500 foot pounds energy
    Gun ar15 Bushmaster SS varmit
    1-9" twist stainless bull barrel

This is about the hottest load i can find on the web and is copied from someone in america who uses this combo to shoot deer legally in his state, at 1500 ft/lbs its still a long way shy of the 1700 ft/lbs required by law.

75 grain will do 3200 with same powder and thus get 1745 ;)

Advertisement