Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minimum deer calibre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

If the .22-250 bearly scraps the min 1700lbs ,cant see the .223 reaching that figure :confused:.And thats basing the .22-250 on factory stated velocity ,not real world figures .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tomcat220t wrote: »
    If the .22-250 bearly scraps the min 1700lbs ,cant see the .223 reaching that figure :confused:.And thats basing the .22-250 on factory stated velocity ,not real world figures .

75 grain @ 3200 is the goal TC. Got an app on the phone that does all the number crunching
    it's not real world, it's fantasy reload world;);)

75 grain @ 3200 is the goal TC. Got an app on the phone that does all the number crunching
    it's not real world, it's fantasy reload world;);)
    I would say that the 75gr match would be a very high weight retention round .Hardly ideal ,even on close shots with medium game .Just aswell we are talking (fantasy shooting ;))

I would say that the 75gr match would be a very high weight retention round .Hardly ideal ,even on close shots with medium game .Just aswell we are talking (fantasy shooting ;))

Tell the foxes that :eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

75 grain will do 3200 with same powder and thus get 1745 ;)

you can't just up the bullet weight with the same powder charge as the pressure will be too high ie burst barrel

• Advertisement

Tell the foxes that :eek:;)
    If they work ,they work bud:D:D.So they expand well on foxes ?Sounds good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

75 grain doing 3200 fps is deer legal, but you need homemade rounds to get that so not an Irish option.

a friend of mine has a .223 for his son in US and they shoot deer, son is 14!

Agree with you.

Had many debates with friend in the US who used to use the 223 for whitetail, South Texas whitetail are small though. Big antlers, small body.

Problem is, almost all of the bullets made for this bore are designed as vermin bullets, break up quickly, so by handloading it really hot you would probably end up with a round breaking up before getting much past the skin of a deer, very little penetration.
    Could be wrong but think the only exception is the much harder bullets made for the 5.6 RWS, that used to be popular in Ireland. It was designed to hunt deer and to satisfy the minimum legal requirements (in Germany) for retained energy at 200 meters.

Personally believe none of the centrefire .22's should be considered for deer, go with .243/6mm bore or bigger, myself I prefer bigger.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

landkeeper wrote: »
    you can't just up the bullet weight with the same powder charge as the pressure will be too high ie burst barrel
    As he said ,its only theory (fantasy reloading ;)).

If they work ,they work bud:D:D.So they expand well on foxes ?Sounds good :D

I used 2 boxes of Hornady TAP 75 grain and one box 75 grain Superformance Match.
    Both minced foxes but only punctured rabbits.

@ landkeeper, this is only fantasy talk as we can't reload ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

True, but I can remember a time when the same was said of us ever hunting with anything bigger than a 22-250 or 5.6. Optimistic dreaming maybe but here's hoping.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

I used 2 boxes of Hornady TAP 75 grain and one box 75 grain Superformance Match.
    Both minced foxes but only punctured rabbits.

i know that , at least your on your home turf then tack :cool:

i know that , at least your on your home turf then tack :cool:

? :confused::confused::confused:

? :confused::confused::confused:

I think it was a poor attemt a humor ,tack:o:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

MeeeOOWWW!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I'll check the reloading manual when I get home and let you know what it says...

Of course twist rate, length of barrel etc. will be a factor.

Oh... Ok. I did not see the joke........

Advertisement