Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive - Ryan Gosling & Carey Mulligan [** SPOILERS FROM POST 219 ONWARD **]

Comments

marienbad wrote: »
    Not in any way trying to be smart or any thing - but have you seen the Walter Hill film recently ?

P.S. I know well how and when and which of the trades to take seriously .

Yes I have and there are similarities but Drive is not a remake. As I said before calling Drive a remake of the The Driver would be the same as saying that The Town is a remake of Heat. Just because films have similarities does not make them a remake. Drive is based on a novel and not on Walter Hill's classic film. I love The Driver more than most and find it immensely rewatchable and as similar as the two film are Drive is not a remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Yes I have and there are similarities but Drive is not a remake. As I said before calling Drive a remake of the The Driver would be the same as saying that The Town is a remake of Heat. Just because films have similarities does not make them a remake. Drive is based on a novel and not on Walter Hill's classic film. I love The Driver more than most and find it immensely rewatchable and as similar as the two film are Drive is not a remake.

As I said I don't know how many posts back lets just agree to disagree-
    you say tomato I say tomato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Is this really a matter of opinion? Then I think Avatar was a remake of Forrest Gump. When your wrong, your wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Goodfellas was so a remake of The Godfather.

They're both about gangsters after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Ignorance at it's best right here ladies and gentlemen.. :rolleyes:

Drive is actually a remake of Driving miss daisy..

• Advertisement

rossc007 wrote: »
    Is this really a matter of opinion? Then I think Avatar was a remake of Forrest Gump. When your wrong, your wrong.

Sure , when you are wrong you are wrong and I have no problem accepting that, but it this case I'm not.

As a side note why would so many posters even give a fcuk ?

Sure , when you are wrong you are wrong and I have no problem accepting that, but it this case I'm not.

As a side note why would so many posters even give a fcuk ?

Well Im sure the majority of people are either interested in seeing your proof or waiting to see you admit your wrong, I doubt we'll see either. This is nearly as interesting as the autism theory :D

Ah we just hate blatant ignorance, your giving off an aura of ignorance on par with that of a Scientologist..

We require more from you, like evidence... Just because there may be one or two similar things, doesn't make it a REMAKE, if thats the case, then lord of the rings and the matrix are remakes :rolleyes:

nix wrote: »
    Ah we just hate blatant ignorance, your giving off an aura of ignorance on par with that of a Scientologist..

We require more from you, like evidence... Just because there may be one or two similar things, doesn't make it a REMAKE, if thats the case, then lord of the rings and the matrix are remakes :rolleyes:

Ha ha , and there was me thinking this was an internet forum and not a law court. Next you will be telling me Fargo is based on a true story ;)

Keep on dodging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

To summarise. If you liked Transformers, Cloverfield, new Star Trek, Skyline, 2012, Yogi Bear, Grown Ups or any film measured in strobes/cuts/cgi shots per minute you wont like this. Becuase its too "slow".

Keep on dodging
    Indeed I will and you try reading something other than wikipedia

Wikipedia? what are you talking about? lol

Jurassic park is a remake of the Flintstones :rolleyes:

Wikipedia? what are you talking about? lol

Jurassic park is a remake of the Flintstones :rolleyes:

I assume you mean of the cartoon series as the Flintstones was made the year after. There are certain simularities I grant you but the dinosaurs in Jurasic Park wer'nt as scary;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Lads, can't we all get along, and perhaps laugh at this woman's take on the movie/trailer?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/10/woman-sues-drive-trailer?INTCMP=SRCH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Lads, can't we all get along, and perhaps laugh at this woman's take on the movie/trailer?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/10/woman-sues-drive-trailer?INTCMP=SRCH
    Im sueing the company responsible for the film "heat" as there wasnt enough scenes in warm climates , i won my case against "the dark knight" i was clearly expecting a medeival drama and was really disappointed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its a good film but its problem is the chemistry between Gosling and Mulligan and the director could have done more to make his characters reasons to take stupid risks for her believable especially since he was now being cockblocked by the husband, FFS!!

The first 10 minutes are brilliant, near perfect in every way except for when he's walking out of the carpark. The cops would have known that them ditching the car was a distinct possibility but if I was a rookie cop, I'd be arresting the shifty looking fan wearing the driving gloves!! Also, he left his watch on the steering wheel as far as I could see, definitely could pin him to the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

So...
    You think he lived or died at the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The director himself has said "he lives on for further adventures".

I don't think he meant for it to be ambiguous, but still if people debate him that's not a problem either.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

Saw this tonight and loved it! Favourite film of the year (so far).

I was slightly apprehensive going in after reading a few reviews here but I thought it was a gem. Soundtrack is kicking and I didn't find it boring at all!

Would highly recommend you get out and see it. I reckon it's one of those films that has to be seen in the cinema to be fully appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    To summarise. If you liked Transformers, Cloverfield, new Star Trek, Skyline, 2012, Yogi Bear, Grown Ups or any film measured in strobes/cuts/cgi shots per minute you wont like this. Becuase its too "slow".

Please never put new Star Trek in the same company as those films again. Perhaps the one blockbuster of recent years that is actually memorable and rewatchable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Broads.ie wrote: »
    How in the feck did it get 8.7 on imdb???

It's not a bad film, but it's totally overrated. The guy is the most boring character I've ever actually seen in a movie... and the story could have been told in 45 minutes, but the director decided to pad it out to 90mins with artsy fartsy shyte. And how did yer wan actually fancy him when he never actually spoke a word? She actually fell in love with him. Totally unrealistic and bollox.

Meh out of 10. Some great violence in it though.

to me this is the perfect example of the mainstream audience that would watch this in the cinema, a point was made about this film being tagged as an arts film , true that , i appreciate this film already , this film left me thinking on how much of an impact on me it had in the space of 90 mins!!for me the lack of story line made the story for me, it made more sense, every line was perfect and the dialogue was brilliant ,aswell as the soundtrack , the fact that the trailer was totally mis-leading on what the film was to be like was great, it was totally the opposite :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

with all this commotion.. i'm gonna have to watch The Driver.. as user marienbad claims Drive is an unofficial remake of it.. will report back.
    its possible they tried to get the rights to it etc. I think thats wheat everyone meant when they said you should back it up with more info etc..

Laserface wrote: »
    with all this commotion.. i'm gonna have to watch The Driver.. as user marienbad claims Drive is an unofficial remake of it.. will report back.
    its possible they tried to get the rights to it etc. I think thats wheat everyone meant when they said you should back it up with more info etc..

Just to be pedantic, in the official film credits, Drive is based on a book by James Sallis. Marienbad has never mentioned an unofficial remake, I'm not even sure what that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dempsey wrote: »
    Also, he left his watch on the steering wheel as far as I could see, definitely could pin him to the car

Doubt he had his name and address engraved on it.

He was wearing gloves so wouldn't have left prints on it.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Doubt he had his name and address engraved on it.

He was wearing gloves so wouldn't have left prints on it.

A DNA match

A DNA match

And if they don't have his DNA on file then it's useless to them.

And if they don't have his DNA on file then it's useless to them.
    The first 10 minutes are brilliant, near perfect in every way except for when he's walking out of the carpark. The cops would have known that them ditching the car was a distinct possibility but if I was a rookie cop, I'd be arresting the shifty looking fan wearing the driving gloves!! Also, he left his watch on the steering wheel as far as I could see, definitely could pin him to the car

I said that they could have easily tied him to the getaway car if they arrested him as he left the car park. Nobody suspects the fan wearing the driving gloves though!

I said that they could have easily tied him to the getaway car if they arrested him as he left the car park. Nobody suspects the fan wearing the driving gloves though!

There were most likely thousands of people around that parking lot at the time and for the cops to spot on guy wearing gloves and make the leap that he was in fact the get away driver is a bit much. They could hardly arrest him for wearing gloves and if they did he would be out of custody in a matter of hours.

• Advertisement

There were most likely thousands of people around that parking lot at the time and for the cops to spot on guy wearing gloves and make the leap that he was in fact the get away driver is a bit much. They could hardly arrest him for wearing gloves and if they did he would be out of custody in a matter of hours.

He walked right past a cop on the way out, what fan wears driving gloves to a game and leaves the car park without a car afterwards? All the cops needed was suspicion to arrest and that was enough, find the car and wave the watch in his face during the interrogation. BOOM!

Advertisement