Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive - Ryan Gosling & Carey Mulligan [** SPOILERS FROM POST 219 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

There were most likely thousands of people around that parking lot at the time and for the cops to spot on guy wearing gloves and make the leap that he was in fact the get away driver is a bit much. They could hardly arrest him for wearing gloves and if they did he would be out of custody in a matter of hours.

It's not a reach at all - it was ridiculous...
    he's walking alone with a cap pulled low over his eyes, head down, jacket slung over shoulder and brown leather f*cking driving gloves! He walks right by the cop car - the cops who know they are chasing a car that is, presumably, driven by getaway driver! - it is pretty likely that any half-decent cop's suspicions would be raised.

This guy is supposed to be the ultimate professional - he's the Driver - and this was some sloppy sh*t on his part...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Dempsey wrote: »
    He walked right past a cop on the way out, what fan wears driving gloves to a game and leaves the car park without a car afterwards? All the cops needed was suspicion to arrest and that was enough, find the car and wave the watch in his face during the interrogation. BOOM!

maybe he was about to get on his motorbike outside where he walked past the cops,or maybe he just likes to wear gloves,those americans can be too cool sometimes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    It's not a reach at all - it was ridiculous...
    he's walking alone with a cap pulled low over his eyes, head down, jacket slung over shoulder and brown leather f*cking driving gloves! He walks right by the cop car - the cops who know they are chasing a car that is, presumably, driven by getaway driver! - it is pretty likely that any half-decent cop's suspicions would be raised.

This guy is supposed to be the ultimate professional - he's the Driver - and this was some sloppy sh*t on his part...
    Christ, the lengths people are going too to try and pick holes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

e_e wrote: »
    Christ, the lengths people are going too to try and pick holes. :rolleyes:

I can't have a different opinion on the movie than you? Stalin, is that you?

Good thing that I didn't even suggest such an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let's all play nice.

Also, I'll add a spoiler warning to the thread title when I get home to a non mobile.

But I do think that it's a problem with a lot of moviegoers that they pick holes over the tiniest details just to have their opinion heard. Does it really make a difference to the movie as a whole?

Let's face it it's a crime thriller inspired by Blue Velvet, 80s Movies and Michael Mann. It's not going to be as realistic as The Wire is it? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Spoiler warning added to the thread title. Spoilers from this post onward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »
    But I do think that it's a problem with a lot of moviegoers that they pick holes over the tiniest details just to have their opinion heard. Does it really make a difference to the movie as a whole?

Let's face it it's a crime thriller inspired by Blue Velvet, 80s Movies and Michael Mann. It's not going to be as realistic as The Wire is it? :P

I do agree. I think a very significant amount of suspension of disbelief is required with cinema, even many that pertain to be 'realistic'. Real-life and it's twists and rules cannot be reduced to 90 minutes without considerable artistic license, and audiences need to accept this, especially when it comes to sci-fi (my brain hurts when people try to pick apart stuff like Terminator 2). It can be distracting - I found it hard to enjoy the two Eden of the East movies this weekend on the basis of absurdly liberal internal logic and narrative gaps - but disbelief is vital.

In Drive, I didn't consider it an issue in the slightest. The opening scene in question I agree is reading into things too much. He walked away because, simply, it was meant to be an epic, cool moment. It achieved that tenfold. Mission accomplished. I never questioned it within the film's internal logic and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Doubt he had his name and address engraved on it.

He was wearing gloves so wouldn't have left prints on it.

He has the same watch in a later scene in the movie anyway so it wasn't left on the stressing wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Myerz

this film is absolutely sick, soundtrack is just as good! huge ryan gosling fan, must be in the top 10 coolest people on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Honestly I think the biggest problem with Drive is that it comes across as so "grown up" and "arty" that people watch it and expect it to be more refined, no room for mistakes and that. If it were a more conventional action flick about a getaway driver, continuity and logic wouldn't be deemed as necessary but instead it's "different" and so one of the things expected from it is that it will eschew all of these conventions of Hollywood gaffs and errors. Problem is though, it's still a movie, like many others, it just so happens to be one that tries something a little different but to its disadvantage, this leads people to expect it to be a cut above in more ways than it is.

I should add that I have this opinion because this is exactly how I felt prior to watching it and after my first viewing wasn't all too blown away, it took a second viewing before I came to the opinion I have now, that it is one of the most refreshingly different movies I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Brilliant film.

Really pissed me off when he was reversing during the chase and you could hear the car shifting up gears.

That's all I've to complain about the whole film though.

Loved the music!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Sitec wrote: »
    Brilliant film.

Really pissed me off when he was reversing during the chase and you could hear the car shifting up gears.

That's all I've to complain about the whole film though.

Loved the music!

That and the fact that whilst driving his cars shift up into eight or ninth gear...I don't understand why this is the case ALL THE TIME when it comes to cars in movies!

That and the fact that when he's driving through the straight drainage tunnel thingy he still MUST swivel the steering wheel left and right as much as possible...movie driving, ARG!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Myerz wrote: »
    this film is absolutely sick, soundtrack is just as good! huge ryan gosling fan, must be in the top 10 coolest people on the planet.

I haven't read this whole thread..

But did anyone else notice the soundtrack uses a lot of the same music as The Social Network?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

But did anyone else notice the soundtrack uses a lot of the same music as The Social Network?

I haven't seen TSN yet so may be wrong there, but there are comments earlier in the thread suggesting that the soundtrack on the cinema version is different to the soundtrack on the screener version circulating the interwebs, so you may have just admitted to being a naughty boy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Cinema version didn't. :eek:

Shame so few cinemas are showing it. I was back home last week and there was only a single recent film playing, The Debt which I did enjoy. When buying a bottle of water I askedthe manager if they were getting Drive, her answer "No, sure nobody would have any interest in it around here". Not a single cinema within a 2 hour drive from there is showing it so no wonder so many people are watching the screener.

Shame so few cinemas are showing it. I was back home last week and there was only a single recent film playing, The Debt which I did enjoy. When buying a bottle of water I askedthe manager if they were getting Drive, her answer "No, sure nobody would have any interest in it around here". Not a single cinema within a 2 hour drive from there is showing it so no wonder so many people are watching the screener.

The "for arthouse viewers" argument doesn't really hold up since it's

A) Still in the top 5
    B) Still selling out in Dundrum 3 weeks after its release

The film obviously has good word of mouth among cinema goers, so more theaters should be as trustful of their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Wow the best film I've seen this year and possibly 2010 too. You know a film is good when you don't want it to end.

Really don't understand how people found it boring. I would of happily watched another hour of it. Wasn't been shown in my local cinema for some reason.

Class soundtrack too. Can't recommend this enough. Already feel like watching it again.

Let this be a lesson to all you downloaders :p Social Network soundtrack: chuckle. You're all missing out on this wonderful music cue:

*swoon*

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Wow, What a film. Defo one of the films of the year. Ryan Gosling is a superstar in the making. I loved the soundtrack aswell. Pity alot of cinema's arent showing it. It is getting great reviews tho.

I was genuinely surprised by how much I loved this movie - I just felt there was so much chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan. I haven't seen that amount of genuine chemistry since The Fountain. Absolutely kicking soundtrack, superb acting (Ryan Gosling says more with his body language than he does with his actual words), great action sequences and awesome characters. The moment in the elevator was the only moment in any movie where the entire cinema winced and audibly went oooohhh.

Let this be a lesson to all you downloaders :p Social Network soundtrack: chuckle. You're all missing out on this wonderful music cue:

*swoon*

That song is used in the screener, it's just the score not the songs used that is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just saw Contagion today - another great soundtrack by Mr. Cliff Martinez.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

First album i've bought in years. Class. Great driving songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I was genuinely surprised by how much I loved this movie - I just felt there was so much chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan. I haven't seen that amount of genuine chemistry since The Fountain. Absolutely kicking soundtrack, superb acting (Ryan Gosling says more with his body language than he does with his actual words), great action sequences and awesome characters. The moment in the elevator was the only moment in any movie where the entire cinema winced and audibly went oooohhh.

Thats more because he barely says a word in the first hour.

Didnt enjoy this film at all. Was Quite bored infact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Think this film embodied close to everything I love in films..

The ending was a little bit weak I thought though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I wouldn't exactly say this film was a let down but I wouldn't buy into the hype some people are putting out there. It does have a lot of style and the lack of substance usually wouldn't be a problem for me with this type of movie but it just came across as a movie really trying too hard to be stylish and cool.
    The ott 80's theme was enjoyable to be fair but I want a little bit more from my movies.
    I like Gosling but I just couldn't stop thinking throughout the movie that he was trying to mimic Steve McQueen or should I say the movie itself tried to set Gosling up for comparisons to McQueen.

Advertisement