Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive - Ryan Gosling & Carey Mulligan [** SPOILERS FROM POST 219 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

niallon wrote: »

That and the fact that whilst driving his cars shift up into eight or ninth gear...I don't understand why this is the case ALL THE TIME when it comes to cars in movies!

That and the fact that when he's driving through the straight drainage tunnel thingy he still MUST swivel the steering wheel left and right as much as possible...movie driving, ARG!

I believe he was swiveling the wheel to throw the other 2 about in the car and have the craic, you see the girl rocking from side to side as he does it.

Anyway, excellent film! I love how it shifted gears (sorry couldn't resist) halfway through and Ryan gosling becomes this bad to the bone guy! Loved the first half too, it felt a bit "profound" at times, with all the looking, but was still a nice comfortable watch, which I think made the contrast of the later scenes all the more viscous.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

Really enjoyed it. 'Artsy' but not pretentious and complemented by a well worked plot and excellent acting. This really has been a career making year for Gosling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I didnt know what to expect from this movie although the cast told me it would be good. I was actually blown away by how good this movie was, just absolutely fantastic in nearly every way. Its been a long time since i couldnt fault a movie.

Although i have to ask.
    Did anyone else find it weird that every antagonist is graphically killed in this besides the two main antagonists who are killed off screen.
    I dont mean to sound blood thirsty or anything, it was just an odd dynamic for the film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heads up for anyone in the Mayo area, this is on in Westport Cineplex all this week. When I saw it on the schedule this evening I more or less dropped what I was doing and went to see it.

I'm so glad I didn't watch a screener of this, really needs to be seen on the big screen.

I thought it was great, while I would agree it was a bit of style over substance I don't really see that as a bad thing. Some of my favourite films are style over substance.

I'd also agree the opening ten minutes was the best part but I still thought the rest of it was outstanding;the soundtrack(which I'm listening to now :D) the cinematography, action, everything.

I've not seen much of Refn's other movies, Valhalla Rising is the only one and apart from Mads Mikkleson and the first 20 minutes I hated it so was not sure what to expect here, the trailers left me cold as it looked like a bog standard action movie although with Refn attached I figured that was unlikely. Its basically a spaghetti western disguised as a michael mann movie with an art house tinge and I thought it worked brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

A mate hadnt seen this yet so I went for the second time the other night. First off I was amazed it was still playing, I mean films like this are usually gone after 2 weeks(tops). Second, I expected the cinema to be empty but it was 3/4s full, and no walk outs. Third, the movie itself is even better second time around. Still think the violence was a bit OTT, but thats a minor grumble. Soundtrack is available on amazon by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Keelan11

tunguska wrote: »
    Still think the violence was a bit OTT, but thats a minor grumble.

I think it's fair to say that the over graphic violence is a form of dramatic punctuation that breaks up the long silent moments, also acts as an output for Gosling's emotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Watched this last night.Not a bad flick,started nicely but went off on a tangent I wasnt expecting.Best thing about it was Cranston imo,such a good actor.There is something,sincere,about him in this.

As for the violence,there isnt a whole lot and what is in it is pretty tame by modern standards.Id heard a few people mention the lift scene as being horrendous.The "banister" scene at the beginning of Wild at Heart is a helluva lot harder to watch and much more jarring.The rest of it is pretty standard fare so I dont know if people are getting more wussy or if my brain is finally broken from years of exposure to extreme cinema.Ah well.

Anyway,not a bad movie,worth a watch but I certainly wont be buying it dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watched this last night.Not a bad flick,started nicely but went off on a tangent I wasnt expecting.Best thing about it was Cranston imo,such a good actor.There is something,sincere,about him in this.

As for the violence,there isnt a whole lot and what is in it is pretty tame by modern standards.Id heard a few people mention the lift scene as being horrendous.The "banister" scene at the beginning of Wild at Heart is a helluva lot harder to watch and much more jarring.The rest of it is pretty standard fare so I dont know if people are getting more wussy or if my brain is finally broken from years of exposure to extreme cinema.Ah well.

Anyway,not a bad movie,worth a watch but I certainly wont be buying it dvd.

I thought
    whatserface from Mad Men getting her head exploded via shotgun
    was fairly shocking, didnt see that coming. same as when
    Albert Brooks stabbed that guy multiple times in the neck or slashed Cranstons wrist (the proper way too)
    as it was done so coldly, there was no overly dramatic "movie violence" it was more visceral stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

krudler wrote: »
    I thought
    whatserface from Mad Men getting her head exploded via shotgun
    was fairly shocking, didnt see that coming. same as when
    Albert Brooks stabbed that guy multiple times in the neck or slashed Cranstons wrist (the proper way too)
    as it was done so coldly, there was no overly dramatic "movie violence" it was more visceral stuff.

Finally got the chance to watch this today.

Agreed on your take with regard to the violence. It was really shocking stuff at times, which was in stark contrast to earlier scenes. I just wasn't expecting the graphic nature of it at all.
    The killing in the lift and the throat stabbing were particularly brutal and hard to watch.

I found the ending interesting
    I wonder is there any chance that Gosling's character actually did die and the whole driving off into the night was a metaphor for that death and the journey beyond?

Naturally I could be reading into it a bit but
    the stab wound he received can't have been easy to stem the blood flow from.

I haven't been following this thread as I wanted to watch it without preconceptions so perhaps someone has mentioned this before.

Overall I enjoyed the film, it was a very basic story told in a visually interesting way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Watched this tonight, and i have to say it was complete and utter shite. Maybe it's just me, but Arthouse films are crap. It's right up there with Donnie Darko as one of the worst films i've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jayspooney

so i just watched the film drive twice in two days and i have to say that its one of the best films i have seen in a while, the film leaves you wanting all the time.
    i would suggest anyone with a thing for car movies should watch it, and the soundtrack!!!! not my thing normally but wow does it work in the film i love the tracks, been youtubing them since lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

jayspooney wrote: »
    so i just watched the film drive twice in two days and i have to say that its one of the best films i have seen in a while, the film leaves you wanting all the time.
    i would suggest anyone with a thing for car movies should watch it, and the soundtrack!!!! not my thing normally but wow does it work in the film i love the tracks, been youtubing them since lol:D

1. There is a thread on this film already.
    2. Drive is overhyped and overated with lots wrong with it.
    3. The soundtrack is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Do you happen to work for the production company OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jayspooney

i am open to debate? whats your views on its problems??
    i am not saying its perfect by any means but did thoroughly enjoy it, there is alot of crap being made lately i thought this was bringing back the good old movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pintoplain

some of Gosling's considered pauses dragged on a few seconds too long, and Refn has a unique and engaging sense of pace. Yet the formulaic, overstretched story is the one thing that, IMO, stops it from being truly great.

"Considered pauses" is an understatement! I found myself wondering, with improbable frequency, if my dvd player was stuck on pause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Maybe it's just me, but Arthouse films are crap.
    Worst term ever. Making very enjoyable and original films seem like they're going to be a chore and creating unnecessary snobbery when it comes to cinema.

All films are art by definition. Sorry I just think it's a completely redundant term. /rant :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Arthouse usually refers to arthouse cinemas, i.e. smaller cinemas that show less-mainstream fare as opposed to the big multiplexes showing Hollywood blockbusters. The IFI would be an example of an "arthouse" cinema. It's a distinction that clearly exists whether we like it or not.

While Drive was an independent film, it's a good example of how the "arthouse" label can do a film more harm than good. I remember reading some hilarious comments on IMDb in which people said they felt "weird" watching an "arthouse film" and were surprised that it was so entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Watched this tonight, and i have to say it was complete and utter shite. Maybe it's just me, but Arthouse films are crap. It's right up there with Donnie Darko as one of the worst films i've ever seen.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

When I think of arthouse, I think of films that try to put across a certain feeling or atmosphere but don't rely on the expected conventions in doing so. For example, I'd think of The Possession as an arthouse film. Two minutes of Isabel Adjame laughing hysterically and thrashing around in an empty subway station to show her descent into madness or whatever the hell she's descending into, maybe a hell for leather attempt to wake the viewer's neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Pintoplain wrote: »
    "Considered pauses" is an understatement! I found myself wondering, with improbable frequency, if my dvd player was stuck on pause.

0FnAp.jpg

Found this to be fairly underwhelming myself. Thought Albert Brooks was the stand out performance in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Pintoplain

Excellent clip Oafley! Thought the film was a waste of a great cast, especially the supporting characters. And he can wear that jacket all he wants, that still doesn't make it iconic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭fitz

I enjoyed the film, but I thought the scoring/music supervision was terrible.
    Completely at odds with what was going on a lot of the time.

Also, regarding the ending:
    I saw it as a Sopranos style visual cue - the closing scene shows his POV, which then cuts to black. I took that as the point where he died. I've since read that the director would like to do a sequel, so I guess I got the intention wrong :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

fitz wrote: »
    [/spoiler]

Seriously? Best soundtrack in ages - maybe because it was at odds with what was going on. I appreciate its not everyones cup of tea, I loved it. Watched it several times now and if anything, I'm enjoying it more each time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seriously? Best soundtrack in ages - maybe because it was at odds with what was going on. I appreciate its not everyones cup of tea, I loved it. Watched it several times now and if anything, I'm enjoying it more each time.

I agree the soundtrack was great. I didn't find it at odds with what was going on at all though. The songs practically sing whats happening on screen imho.

The Driver befriending & helping the family was his attempt at some sort of redemption i.e. to be a real human being and a real hero. Thats just my interpretation of course but i thought it was kind of obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Driver befriending & helping the family was his attempt at some sort of redemption i.e. to be a real human being and a real hero. Thats just my interpretation of course but i thought it was kind of obvious.

Agreed. A chance to help someone "innocent". Without sounding corny, he had a chance to feel normal, maybe?

Agreed. A chance to help someone "innocent". Without sounding corny, he had a chance to feel normal, maybe?

Thats pretty much what I took from it yeah.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭fitz

Mickeroo wrote: »

I agree the soundtrack was great. I didn't find it at odds with what was going on at all though. The songs practically sing whats happening on screen imho.

I thought that lyrical idea was overused and far too obvious. It was more the style/production side of the music I found at odds with what was on screen though. And not in a "sucker you in" kind of way. I found it jarring. The best scores, even when dramatic, work with the visuals. I though the visual tone of the move and the aesthetic of the score were way off kilter.

I can understand why people would like the music itself, but I didn't think it was the right choice for the film.

I thought that lyrical idea was overused and far too obvious. It was more the style/production side of the music I found at odds with what was on screen though. And not in a "sucker you in" kind of way. I found it jarring. The best scores, even when dramatic, work with the visuals. I though the visual tone of the move and the aesthetic of the score were way off kilter.

I can understand why people would like the music itself, but I didn't think it was the right choice for the film.

I get where you're coming from, but i thought it suited the tone perfectly, if the music was more sombre and less brash I'm not sure the film would have appealed to me quite as much as it did. They went for a very specific 80's style with the movie and the music(even though the music itself is contemporary, the style is not) was very much in keeping with that style. I watched Michael Mann's Thief the other night and it was very like Drive in terms of the visual style and music. I think the key factor in whether someone thinks the music suited the movie or not is if you actually like the style of the films the style of drive was more or less taken from.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Also, regarding the ending:
    I saw it as a Sopranos style visual cue - the closing scene shows his POV, which then cuts to black. I took that as the point where he died. I've since read that the director would like to do a sequel, so I guess I got the intention wrong :-/

I thought the soundtrack was fantastic, was downloading it as the movie was ending

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

krudler wrote: »
    I thought the soundtrack was fantastic, was downloading it as the movie was ending

+1. One of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

Advertisement