Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions please

• 11-09-2011 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have been looking at this car and I feel like the mileage is too low for a 9 year old car. The owner seems adamant that the car is genuine. Is there any way I can check to see if the car has been clocked?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2477451

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

www.motorcheck.ie should give you an idea also previous nct certs should confirm the mileage.

Its not really a bargain tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't want to p1ss on your parade, dude, but that's a terrible car :(

Much better cars can be had for your budget. And the seller is a total chancer:
    seller wrote:
    drivers electric window not working,,cost 80 euro to repair

Unless you get the part from a scrapyard and install it yourself for free, this alone will cost a lot more. And the NCT is very short on it (car will fail NCT if drivers window is not working). Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

looks a bit dogged with the spurious hubcaps, the limmo tints, faded headlamps and stained seats etc.

you'd get a diesel one for that money (albeit with a higher mileage, and 2.2 tax)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As above, that's a sh1tbox. In general, though, the best way to ensure that a car hasn't been clocked is to examine the service history and ring the garages who stamped the book to check that the work was done at the indicated time and mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That car looks very tired for only having covered 54k miles. Look at the state of the front seats and yellow fade on the headlights. Way overpriced. Also €80 to fix the window regulator. :D Best of luck trying to find one in a scrap yard as it is such a common issue on them that parts from scrap yards are very rare and a new regulator costs circa €300.

This one looks way fresher despite having over twice the claimed mileage of the one the OP linked to:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2340005

• Advertisement

I have been looking at this car and I feel like the mileage is too low for a 9 year old car. ...........

As the lads have said it seems too low for that particular one alright.

In saying that my Dad has a 99 Hyundai Accent with 35K miles, himself and my Mum bought it new, still on original pads, discs, shoes, exhaust etc. All original except for timing belt, water pump, aux belts, thermostat, battery, reversing switch, filters,fluids and tires. Genuine low milers do exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 DesolationRow

Thanks for the input lads. This car searching is head wrecking stuff when ya know very little about them.

you'd get a diesel one for that money (albeit with a higher mileage, and 2.2 tax)[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Looking for at most a 1.6 engine and small diesel engines are few and far between. It'd mostly be city driving being done anyway so I don't think a diesel is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 DesolationRow

bazz26 wrote: »
    That car looks very tired for only having covered 54k miles. Look at the state of the front seats and yellow fade on the headlights. Way overpriced. Also €80 to fix the window regulator. :D Best of luck trying to find one in a scrap yard as it is such a common issue on them that parts from scrap yards are very rare and a new regulator costs circa €300.

]

Chancer indeed. He told me he couldn't afford to fix the window which I thought was a bit funny. Plus the clutch has been fixed in the last 6 months. Now I'm not sure but I doubt a car that has only covered 50k miles would need a clutch replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If it was driven by someone who had no clue how to drive, maybe. He would have spent the €80 to get a better price if it was genuine. And where did the €80 price come from......you could ask. His answer, or delay in answering will sing truth or bull.

Advertisement