Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to repeat the leaving cert?

• 11-09-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey! This is my first post so bare with me!!
    So, I completed the leaving cert last year in 2010. I got 430 points which isn't bad but I went way down from the pre's (480). To this day I have never told any of my friends what I got because everyone assumed I got 500 + and to be honest I was really embarrassed! I went into UCD doing Arts studying History and Politics, I have never liked it but everyone says you don't like your college course in first year but as I face into my second year I want to be anywhere but here! I have always had the notion of repeating the leaving cert but was never brave enough to do it. I didn't put the work in at school so what would change now? Prime example, the night before English paper one I stayed up till 3 in the morning watching true blood on the Internet! I still don't know what I want to do which makes it harder to motivate yourself plus I don't know where in the cork area would be good but not too expensive as I have to pay for it myself. I want to decide before I have to pay my fees! So in summary is it too late to drop out and repeat as we now enter the third week in September and should I even do it?
    I know there are a lot of threads on repeating but there situations were all so different to mine I didn't find any help.
    Any responses would be appreciated!! sorry for the long msg!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you mean going to a school/centre and following classes, that would depend on the numbers the school has or if they take late people.

In terms of applying to do the exam, the SEC close external entries around February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Firefly77

also I did Irish (pass) and English, Maths, French, History, Geography and Biology all higher. If you got a C3 or higher in maths you don't have to do it again, is that true?? Also is it ok to only repeat 6? Thanks again!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Firefly77 wrote: »
    also I did Irish (pass) and English, Maths, French, History, Geography and Biology all higher. If you got a C3 or higher in maths you don't have to do it again, is that true?? Also is it ok to only repeat 6? Thanks again!!

It depends on the course you are going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

If you are not happy in your course then repeat. You know you are capable. Just think, you will be doing a course you don't like for the next how many years and then a job you may not like. Think about your future and whether you would regret not repeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Firefly77

Just wondering to anyone who has repeated do you really need to know exactly what you want to do to have the motivation?? because I don't know what I want to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

A few friends of mine repeated this year in College of Comm in Cork. They all spoke very highly of the place, but to be honest I think it's less to do with where you go and more to do with what you put into it. I seem to remember they started quite late, but it might be closed to entries now. I'd suggest ringing around to see where has space. Most secondary schools take on a couple repeat students every year, but going back to school proper might seem a little daunting at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

If you pass maths at ordinary or higher you don't have to do it again.
    It's risky doing just 6 subjects because if you fail 1 then you fail your leaving.It's best if you do 7 subjects as you are marked out of your best 6. If you do decide to Repeat your leaving cert,I would highly recommend doing Higher level Economics.I took it up 6 months before my leaving and i got an A2 in it with no teacher to help me,as i was studying at home and just using a little revision book,No big text books or business studies experience required and not an awful lot involved in it.And the exam is quite predictable on what comes up.
    There is no point in studying a course you dread going in everyday or most days.Anyway,An arts degree doesn't get you a job automatically.You would have to do a postgrad or a masters especially in history or politics.And you would need a second class or first class honours arts degree to do that.A PASS IS NO GOOD TO YOU IN ARTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Fenetta

Of course you are not too late to repeat. Contact whatever school you'd like to attend and perhaps you'll be in Leaving Cert class of 2012 by Monday. :) Your heart is telling you to do this. Go ahead. Perhaps because of your previous results, your confidence has been lowered. Thats understandable. Life is full of disappointments. But this is one part of your life that can be changed. Don't let your fees be wasted. Go today to your secondary school of choice. Explain your story. Loads of people are repeating these days, seems to be a trend. Will work out well for you.:)
    Besides, do you know there are more points for higher level Maths and Orals this year? You will not be out of place and with a little good career guidance you will be in Uni next year doing what interests you. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Was in a very similar situation to you - 445 points and doing a bullsh*t Arts course in TCD. Decided to go back, took it very seriously and walked out with 590. You've loads of time between now and June just contact a school about repeating and get your head into the books ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 21 easpa_ciall

I am in a very similar situation to you , I got 480 in the leaving cert in 2010 , went to trinity and did science for a while but knew from the moment I accepted the course I was settling and that I wanted more for myself, recently decided the way to go was to repeat and I just started Monday , if you do decide to , its not easy , I have forgotten so much and have found myself revising junior cert notes to catch up to where I used to be but I'm hopin I'll get there , and looking at gordin's post above , there is certainly hope for us :)
    But just make sure you do whatever you need to do to be happy and ensure you're not going to have regrets in a few years time, it's easier to go back now and try again than changing your mind once you've finished your degree!
    All the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Any chance you can talk to the course coordinators and guidance councilors and get transferred to something else.

Bear in mind the fees involved in dropping out of college and reapplying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 neevie21

it's definitely not too late for you to repeat, but have you given any thought to the course that you want to do? it could be very hard to motivate yourself to do the leaving cert if you just go in there aimlessly! yes you can repeat with six subjects, but its risky if one paper goes awry

Advertisement