Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 10 - pics of UCD in the snow.......where is that thread??

Options
  • 11-09-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm trying to find a thread from last winter where folks put up pics of Belfield under snow - would be grateful if whomever posted could let me know which thread it was - can't seem to locate same?? many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

mods - you can close this thread - have located what I was looking for (Link, just for anyone interested)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

And here's the official UCD gallery of the previous year's snow. Not quite as snowy.

http://www.ucd.ie/news/2009/02FEB09/050209_snow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Fluffy white stuff
    174191.JPG

and a view that you will not see again

174194.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

ucdperson wrote: »
    Fluffy white stuff
    174191.JPG

and a view that you will not see again

hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

cjmcork wrote: »
    hopefully!

Well the layout of that part of campus has changed so definately not going to see it again. As for the snow, it looks it may be with us for some time:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cold-winters-set-to-continue-for-50-years-509342.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Well the layout of that part of campus has changed so definately not going to see it again. As for the snow, it looks it may be with us for some time:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cold-winters-set-to-continue-for-50-years-509342.html

In that link it claims that the sun is the cause of it so people cannot go on about human-induced climate change to explain the winters. Also, is it a strongly held belief that solar activity is what caused the ice ages?

In that link it claims that the sun is the cause of it so people cannot go on about human-induced climate change to explain the winters. Also, is it a strongly held belief that solar activity is what caused the ice ages?

I don't know enough about it RandolphEsq. The majority of scientists believe in anthropogenic global warming (AGW) i.e. man-made. The exact cause of the last ice age isn't fully understood as far as I know, but most believe it to be due to a culmination of factors. The sun is included as a possible factor along with carbon dioxide content in the atmosphere, the earth's orbit, and even volcanoes.

I think people often ignore the difference between weather and climate. Climate is long term. If you look at the temperature increase over the last hundred years, you see a clear increase of about 1 degree Celcius. However if you look closer you see a higher-frequency weather variation around this change, with a period of a decade or so - in other words: it's quite possible to have cooler winters for the next 10 years but still suffer from global warming.

Advertisement