Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom tap very reduced flow ?

• 11-09-2011 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Guys,

The cold bathroom tap has over the last week become quite "tight" when turning it & the flow has greatly reduced.

Is this just a washer to be changed (& if so could someone please point me how to do it) or is it a "get the plumber out" job ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

the hardest part of this can be finding the stopcock to turn off supply to the offending tap. Probably the washer, but could be the threads of the spindle gummed up. wirebrush and new water grease while your at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The cold water tap in the bathroom will be served by a tank, usually in the attic, and not from the mains. So to shut off the water to it I have found the easiest way is to stuff a wine bottle cork into the outlet from the tank. This has the added advantage that you first have to drink the wine to get the cork, and that seems to make the job easier!

In many bathroom taps the washer is part of a plunger that slides inside the top knob and spindle. So the fact that the knob is difficult to turn doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the water flow. Therefore, first stuff in the cork and then open the tap. When the water no longer flows, take off the knob by prising off the centre plastic disc and releasing the screw beneath. Then unscrew the hexagon top of the tap.

Now the plunger will be released and its shaft can be cleaned with wire wool (a Brillo pad works well). The tightness of the tap can often be cured by adding a bit of washing up liquid to the knob shaft when reinstalling.

If this is a clear as mud, see http://www.victoriaplumb.com/bathroom_DIY/repairing-dripping-bathroom-taps.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Cheers for that. Only problem is finding a stopcock for the cold tap, I've tried one in the hotpress, one in the attic coming directly from the tank, looked under the bath (none) & so far no luck.

Will I be better off shutting off the mains (under kitchen sink) & draining the tank (waste of water) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

iMax wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Only problem is finding a stopcock for the cold tap, I've tried one in the hotpress, one in the attic coming directly from the tank, looked under the bath (none) & so far no luck.

Will I be better off shutting off the mains (under kitchen sink) & draining the tank (waste of water) ?

If you stuff a cork into the outlet from the tank in the roof you don't need to shut off the mains water. That will isolate the bathroom tap. Personally, I never try to turn off the mains water to service anything other than the kitchen tap. If you really want to drain the whole system down, then turn off the stock cock, but it isn't necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭b318isp

It almost a certainty that there will be one valve stopping water coming from the tank. Close all valves on pipework coming from the tank, then turn on offending tap. Water should stop running after a few seconds. Obviously reinstate the valves later.

Strip the tap one piece at a time with a wrench (or vice grips if you really have to). You will probably need a screwdriver to remove the top of tap. Then the cover, then the body of the tap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement