Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould in attic

• 11-09-2011 10:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

I'm living in a rented house. It's really old. The landlord just insulated the attic.
    There is also a leak coming into the bedroom beside our room.

I went up to check the insulation job earlier today and put my torch on the back wall of the attic above our bedroom. It shocked me. There is serious damp and black and white mould growing. I had wondered for months why my eyes were so puffy and red in the mornings and why I was constantly sneezing all the time. That would appear to be it then. But my GF wants the landlord to fix it. I'm guessing it will be an expensive messy job. I'd just prefer to go find somewhere new.

I'll have to go back to my parents house until something is sorted.

Has anybody had experience like this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Contact threshold / PRTB and get advice on your legal position. also explain to landlord that not only is this dangerous, but that the value of the property will diminish. from what you have described major structural renovations will be required, unless adequate ventilation is added to the roof space asap. + an inspection to solve what every is causing the leak. I would recommend an Arch or eng with a knowledge of old buildings should be employed to assess the situation.

Its a pity there's not a more proactive building control or council organisation that can take actions against such landlords for substandard accommodation.

best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

my landlord is sound. he'll understand. the house needs to be gutted. i found a bat after this hanging from the attic door - freaked me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

Yes this happened to me. I was constantly sick and living in a house where mould would appear on ceilings and walls in certain rooms. there was no ventialtion at all in the house and opening windows didnt help. plus the house was an old cottage with zero insulation.

I ended up with allergic rhianitus from the mould. my nostrils blocked up completely and i could not breath. ended up in the galway clinic for all kinds of tests .

my advice is get out now. dont compromise your health. get a modern house and make sure there is no damp, quiz new landlords . check for extractor fans in bathrooms and ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭AMG86

Time to move on. This will not get better unless remedial work is carried out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

They've sealed the leak in the chimney and I'm getting a de-humidifier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement