Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for an idiot

Options
  • 11-09-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi folks, Im doin a bit of training and i dont get the jargon to do with running. COuld anyone explain what the following is in complete basic foolproof terms please.

2 miles, 2x(1:00, 1:30,
    2:00) AI, 2 mile

and

4 miles, incl. 4x1:00
    AI + 6 GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

deisecelt wrote: »
    Hi folks, Im doin a bit of training and i dont get the jargon to do with running. COuld anyone explain what the following is in complete basic foolproof terms please.

2 miles, 2x(1:00, 1:30,
    2:00) AI, 2 mile

and

4 miles, incl. 4x1:00
    AI + 6 GP

Where are you taking this from? 'AI' probably stands for A???? Intervals. Are the terms not defined somewhere else in the training plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My Guess would be Anaerobic Intervals?? Dont think I have seen this used by many training coaches however but I would assume they are referring to roughly 5km race effort.

What plan are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

A google search reveals the following:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/re-2-miles-2x100-130-200-ai

1) 2 miles, 2x[1:00, 1:30, 2:00] AI, 2 miles
    Warm up for 2 miles then run Aerobic Intervals of 1 minute (twice), 1 and half minutes (twice), 2 minutes (twice) then cool down 2 miles. So the AI means aerobic intervals. Aerobic intervals are just basically "pick ups" where you will run slightly faster than normal training pace but still able to maintain normal breathing (thus keeping the run aerobic). After each interval, just resume normal/slow pace until you feel recovered and then run the next interval

2) 3 miles, 2x2:00 AI, 2x2:30 AI, 1x3:00 AI+6 GP, 2 miles
    2 miles warmup, then 2 aerobic intevals of 2 minutes, 2 aerobic intervals of 2.5 minutes, 1 aerobic interval of 3 minutes, then 6 minutes at GOAL PACE (GP), then cool down 2 miles. Goal Pace is obviously the pace you hope to run for the half marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭deisecelt

A google search reveals the following:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/re-2-miles-2x100-130-200-ai

1) 2 miles, 2x[1:00, 1:30, 2:00] AI, 2 miles
    Warm up for 2 miles then run Aerobic Intervals of 1 minute (twice), 1 and half minutes (twice), 2 minutes (twice) then cool down 2 miles. So the AI means aerobic intervals. Aerobic intervals are just basically "pick ups" where you will run slightly faster than normal training pace but still able to maintain normal breathing (thus keeping the run aerobic). After each interval, just resume normal/slow pace until you feel recovered and then run the next interval

2) 3 miles, 2x2:00 AI, 2x2:30 AI, 1x3:00 AI+6 GP, 2 miles
    2 miles warmup, then 2 aerobic intevals of 2 minutes, 2 aerobic intervals of 2.5 minutes, 1 aerobic interval of 3 minutes, then 6 minutes at GOAL PACE (GP), then cool down 2 miles. Goal Pace is obviously the pace you hope to run for the half marathon

Great stuff, just did the first one, thanks a mil. Its not goal pace its gentle pickups and i dont really see the difference between them and the athletic intervals. Anyhow cheers for the help dude!

Advertisement