Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's Fighters Assemble!

Options
  • 11-09-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Everywhere and it's mother seems to have a fairly constant flow of fighting game tournaments at the moment, and I think Galway is also ripe for the fighting. So I'm thinking of trying to put something together. Do we have any Galway based fighting game fans on here, or anyone who'd be willing to travel to the Wesht for tournaments? Would anybody in interested in playing round these parts?

Which Game Should Be Featured In The Tourney? 23 votes

SSFIVAE
    0% 0 votes
    SF-3rd Strike
    52% 12 votes
    Mortal Kombat
    17% 4 votes
    BBCS2
    17% 4 votes
    Tekken 6
    0% 0 votes
    Something else that I haven't listed?
    13% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'll probably make it up for most Galway events as my parents live there. I'm back there every now and then as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Try hit up the Games Soc in NUIG? Player base already started?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Hey dude. I know I already posted in the Galway City forum, but...

I've been pretty much off the scene as far as SF goes for the last year or so, but if you need equip or a hand running your first tourny let me know (I moved down to Galway 6 months ago) and I'll try to help out. I may even bring my stick out of retirement :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

My GF is currently living in Galway. I could certain combine a trip for the craic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Doom, you should change character and play Ryu - since you seem to travel the world, seeking new challengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Excellent stuff, lads. Glad to hear it.
    I appreciate the offer, Jim. Fair play. You can pretty much expect a PM sooner or later begging for help then, lol.
    I was thinking the same thing, ayjayirl. There's bound to be some Street Fighters and MK heads in there that would be up for a jam. They are on my target-list at the moment (no, really, I've got a target-list!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

My GF is currently living in Galway. I could certain combine a trip for the craic :D

Have you told her you are a FG nerd yet? Might be too much for her to handle... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

i started a thread along these lines a while ago. im in galway most weekends and would be up for a few games.i guess with ssf4 ae on pc there would be more places to meet up aswell. pm me if you ever get a posse going.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66292519

there is the link aswell. there seemed to be a few interested. dont know if they are still kickin around galway

ogiekeaney wrote: »
    i started a thread along these lines a while ago. im in galway most weekends and would be up for a few games.i guess with ssf4 ae on pc there would be more places to meet up aswell. pm me if you ever get a posse going.

Glad to hear it, man, and I'll keep you posted on the situation. It's still in very early stages yet though, I'm just kinda investigating so far.

Also, lads, what games should be on the bill? Should it just be one game (if so, I'm guessing SSFIVAE would be the main suspect) or should it be run with multiple games (MK, BB, maybe?)

• Advertisement

I would personally start off with one game and branch out into others. Find out whichever game is most popular and run with that.

Sairus wrote: »
    I would personally start off with one game and branch out into others. Find out whichever game is most popular and run with that.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking one game would be best to start with. Walk before you air-dash, and all that. I'll add a poll here too. See which game gets the most hits. I'll work out a way to see which game seems best for poeple who ain't on this forum too.

Does anyone still play Tekken 6?

deathrider wrote: »
    Yeah, I was kinda thinking one game would be best to start with. Walk before you air-dash, and all that. I'll add a poll here too. See which game gets the most hits. I'll work out a way to see which game seems best for poeple who ain't on this forum too.

Does anyone still play Tekken 6?

Loads of people play Tekken. I'd say more people in Ireland play Tekken on at least a casual level than any other fighter.
    Trying to tap into that pool and get them showing up to tournaments is another thing entirely - pretty much all the Tekken players I know have no interest in proper competitions.

Loads of people play Tekken. I'd say more people in Ireland play Tekken on at least a casual level than any other fighter.
    Trying to tap into that pool and get them showing up to tournaments is another thing entirely - pretty much all the Tekken players I know have no interest in proper competitions.

Hmmm, well I stuck it into the poll anyways, just for good luck. I really don't know what gets played and what doesn't outside of what I play myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

But the thing is Street fighter players of various levels have overwhelmingly shown themselves to be more open and interested than tekken players in tournaments etc.

I reckon because you can get a semi decent fight in tekken by mashing a bunch of **** with your mates while drunk, that is the key divider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

But the thing is Street fighter players of various levels have overwhelmingly shown themselves to be more open and interested than tekken players in tournaments etc.

I reckon because you can get a semi decent fight in tekken by mashing a bunch of **** with your mates while drunk, that is the key divider.

Your county's milage may vary.

Just because the Dublin Tekken guys don't show up to many events, doesn't mean Galway is going to be the same way.

Deathrider you should ultimately gear your first event towards whatever game people show the most interest in, and probably whatever game you like yourself the most.

and probably whatever game you like yourself the most.

I meant to say this before too. You are the one running this. I recommend doing something you enjoy.

id throw my hand at mvc3 or third strike, but to be honest the only game im any way competent at is ssf4 ae.

maybe just having a few casuals first would be better than going straight into a tournament.

Deathrider you should ultimately gear your first event towards whatever game people show the most interest in, and probably whatever game you like yourself the most.

I'm not pushed on the Tekken thing. It was just a general wondering really. As far as my personal preferrence goes it would be Mortal Kombat and Super Street Fighter IV (though I'm sure AE would be the better option here)
    ogiekeaney wrote: »
    id throw my hand at mvc3 or third strike, but to be honest the only game im any way competent at is ssf4 ae.

maybe just having a few casuals first would be better than going straight into a tournament.

I've been thinking about the pros and cons of this. Tourney would mean one big event with might turn a few heads, while casuals could be ongoing, yet go unheard. Hmmm, I'm really unsure there. See with the tournament it sounds like a big fight, but with causuals it could be a case of "why head into town to play when you could just do it at home?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I'm in Galway. I don't play SFIV to a high level but I'd show up at a tourney if there was one. I've stunk out tourneys in Dublin and Cork before.

• Advertisement

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I'm in Galway. I don't play SFIV to a high level but I'd show up at a tourney if there was one. I've stunk out tourneys in Dublin and Cork before.

I don't play a high level myself either, dude, but a good fight is always good fun :)

Ok, boys (mostly boys who've been involved in these kinda events before), I've got a place that may/may not be interested. They are looking for a few specifics which, at the moment, I can't really give them. But they were wondering about space, and how much we'd need. They tell me their place is around 1000sq ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

deathrider wrote: »
    I don't play a high level myself either, dude, but a good fight is always good fun :)

Ok, boys (mostly boys who've been involved in these kinda events before), I've got a place that may/may not be interested. They are looking for a few specifics which, at the moment, I can't really give them. But they were wondering about space, and how much we'd need. They tell me their place is around 1000sq ft.

That's well big enough. If you want to post up with the information they are looking for then I will give as much info as I can from my experience.

Size is very rarely issue. All you are looking is space to set up maybe four monitors with xboxs, two chairs for each and 10 -15 people milling around. Space near power outlets may be at premium but can be got around with the use of extension leads and multi-taps.

For something small you could probably get into like 10sq ft. These tournaments can be made very small if needed.

Good job on getting some movement on this. I've always meant to head down to Galway for a trip.

I was thinking that sounded like quite a big space, yeah, but I honestly didn't know how many Xboxs I'd need. Would I need an equal number of PS3s also? Or just say it's and Xbox only tournament?

Another thing they were wondering about was if they would need some kinda extra insurance to secure an outside group entering their place for a few games. Got any ideas on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You're best just picking one console format and sticking with it.

People can dual mod sticks or get converters for pads.

I'm sure some folk here could link to converters they use.

You're best just picking one console format and sticking with it.

People can dual mod sticks or get converters for pads.

I'm sure some folk here could link to converters they use.

Ah, excellent stuff. Must get my hands on one of those convertors for the future. I'd imagine Xbox will be the weapon of choice, as I'd have a handier time gathering a few of them together.

All been basically said at this stage, but from setting up Tempests here all you'd basically need is:
    • a room that can fit 10-20 people.
    • 2-3 setups (1 setup = console, monitor/tv and leads).
    • Tables and chairs for each setup.
    • Power outlets and/or extension leads.

As mentioned above I would strongly recommend keeping the tournament to one format at least to start off with. Once everyone has converters and stuff you could branch out to PS3 and 360, but it's very messy if pad players have to play against each other if you don't have the right equipment on hand.

I used to live in Galway, where's the place you're currently looking at?
    If it's any sort of regularly rented out space then you probably won't need insurance unless they specifically ask for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I be keeping a close eye on details near , exciting times ahead :pac:

All been basically said at this stage, but from setting up Tempests here all you'd basically need is:
    • a room that can fit 10-20 people.
    • 2-3 setups (1 setup = console, monitor/tv and leads).
    • Tables and chairs for each setup.
    • Power outlets and/or extension leads.

As mentioned above I would strongly recommend keeping the tournament to one format at least to start off with. Once everyone has converters and stuff you could branch out to PS3 and 360, but it's very messy if pad players have to play against each other if you don't have the right equipment on hand.

I used to live in Galway, where's the place you're currently looking at?
    If it's any sort of regularly rented out space then you probably won't need insurance unless they specifically ask for it.

It's a social space above Kennedy's pud on Eyre Square. I believe they've only just moved into the place, so they are probably still getting their heads around it. They mentioned it, but said they'd look into it because it was an outside group, and they aren't sure if that would be covered.

That set-up sounds do-able. chances are I'll have to do a little mooching for monitors, but apart from that, it doesn't sound as complex as I first expected.

i could bring in an xbox and tv if needed

• Advertisement

That's an offer, I really can't refuse. Fair play, man. It would be really appreciated :D

Advertisement