Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's Fighters Assemble!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm to see a man about a horse (I say horse, but really I mean tourney) tomorrow. Will keep you guys heavily posted with any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm to see a man about a horse (I say horse, but really I mean tourney) tomorrow. Will keep you guys heavily posted with any info.
    When you're choosing dates try not to choose anything that clashes with events already on to ensure the lads notfromGalway can attend.

This will be especially important as if they do attend, and you get a decent turnout for your first tourny, then the local lads who came along will be encouraged to come again if they see numbers.

Ok, just back from talking to the guy. The place looks great, it's affordable, it's easy to find (for all you ousiders, lol), and... Well, looks like we've got outselves a home! :D
    Jim wrote: »
    When you're choosing dates try not to choose anything that clashes with events already on to ensure the lads notfromGalway can attend.

This will be especially important as if they do attend, and you get a decent turnout for your first tourny, then the local lads who came along will be encouraged to come again if they see numbers.

He was actually asking me when I was thinking of putting this on, and I was saying taht I'd have to check up for the very reasons you've mentioned here.

So then, I just need to sort a bit of equipment, a date, some advertising, and hopefully the ball will then be officially rolling.

I'll be able to provide an xbox and low lag 24" monitor. Monitor will need speakers though.

Jim wrote: »
    I'll be able to provide an xbox and low lag 24" monitor. Monitor will need speakers though.

Excellent stuff, Jim. Much appreciated. I'll sort speakers for it. Any specific type?

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff, Jim. Much appreciated. I'll sort speakers for it. Any specific type?
    Just regular jack I think, anything will do.

Deadly stuff, I can sort that out. Do these TVs have to be any specific type? Is HD a must, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Deadly stuff, I can sort that out. Do these TVs have to be any specific type? Is HD a must, or what?

CRT would be the preferred choice with 16:9.

LCDs are obviously far easier to transport though.

CRT would be the preferred choice with 16:9.

LCDs are obviously far easier to transport though.

The first one mentionede isn't a must-have though, no?

Ok, boys (and possibly girls too), I've just had a quick check over on http://randomselect.ie and it says you've got a Tesmpest on tomorrow and an Inferno on 1st October. How does 15th October sound for Galway's tournament?

Also, if we're sticking with ement-related names, how does Blitzkrieg sound?

I hate to be a d1ck, but please reply to this asap, so I can organize the things that need organizing. Thanks, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Also, if we're sticking with ement-related names, how does Blitzkrieg sound?

Yo dude, just a quick note as to the naming, you don't have to stick with the Element theme if you don't want to, but if you do, Blitzkrieg isn't an element, it's a war tactic of armoured tank rushdown popularised by Hitler's Nazi Germany.

I think Earth, Wind and Heart are free as far as Captain Planet elements go though.

15th of October sounds good.

Don't think it clashes with anything.

Blitzkrieg is probably not the best choice due to the historical reference.

The whole elemental name is just a running joke really, it's not too important.

Yo dude, just a quick note as to the naming, you don't have to stick with the Element theme if you don't want to, but if you do, Blitzkrieg isn't an element, it's a war tactic of armoured tank rushdown popularised by Hitler's Nazi Germany.

I think Earth, Wind and Heart are free as far as Captain Planet elements go though.

Yeah, I know it's a military tactic (also an 80s Metal band, I think, lol), but it's translation to English is "Lightning War" which is kinda what I was going for with the element thing. Didn't realize the element-related names was just a bit of craic though, I was kinda expecting them to be compulsery, lol. I'll cook up a catchy name then.
    15th of October sounds good.

Don't think it clashes with anything.

Also, what time do you usually kick these events off. Early in the day, or later in the evenings?

Blitzkrieg is probably not the best choice due to the historical reference.

The whole elemental name is just a running joke really, it's not too important.

Excellent stuff with the date then. I was wondering if there were others that weren't posted on the site yet, but thankfully there's not. I'll try and sort it for 15th October then.

Cheers for the swift replies, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Yeah 15th seems to be free. Soon we'll getting to the stage where we can't not have tournaments clashing. Good times.

I'd avoid Blitzkrieg for the historical references and also because from the elemental theme it clashes with Tempest. If you want to stick with the elemental theme (which I think is a good idea) I would try and go with something based on seismic or seismo (works from multiple views)

Yeah, I'll steer clear of Blitzkrieg then. I'll think up something. Is earth the only one left? I'm not using heart :P

Also, what time would you reccomend for kick-off? Noon-ish or later in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Orim wrote: »

I'd avoid Blitzkrieg .... because from the elemental theme it clashes with Tempest.

?

tem·pest (tmpst)
    n.
    1. A violent windstorm, frequently accompanied by rain, snow, or hail.
    2. Furious agitation, commotion, or tumult; an uproar: "The tempest in my mind/Doth from my senses take all feeling" (Shakespeare).
    tr.v. tem·pest·ed, tem·pest·ing, tem·pests
    To cause a tempest around or in.

Yeah, I'll steer clear of Blitzkrieg then. I'll think up something. Is earth the only one left? I'm not using heart :P

Also, what time would you reccomend for kick-off? Noon-ish or later in the evening?

You could end "Blitz" with other words. Like "Blitzen" I'm pretty sure is one of Santa's Reindeers. There however is surprisingly no regulatory body that ensures all Irish fighting game scene tournaments have element-pun names, so you can really do whatever you like.

People usually start around noon or 1pm. If your venue opens earlier you can do casuals if you want until then.

?

You could end "Blitz" with other words. Like "Blitzen" I'm pretty sure is one of Santa's Reindeers. There however is surprisingly no regulatory body that ensures all Irish fighting game scene tournaments have element-pun names, so you can really do whatever you like.

Santa's a little too close to Heart for my liking, lol.
    I might stick with the element thing anyways, just for fun. Then again, I might go off the wall with something completely different. I'll have a think about it anyways.

People usually start around noon or 1pm. If your venue opens earlier you can do casuals if you want until then.

Deadly stuff. That's what I was thinking. Just needed to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

?

tem·pest (tmpst)
    n.
    1. A violent windstorm, frequently accompanied by rain, snow, or hail.
    2. Furious agitation, commotion, or tumult; an uproar: "The tempest in my mind/Doth from my senses take all feeling" (Shakespeare).
    tr.v. tem·pest·ed, tem·pest·ing, tem·pests
    To cause a tempest around or in.

Hmmm weird I always just thought of it as a storm and associated it with lightning.

Orim wrote: »
    Hmmm weird I always just thought of it as a storm and associated it with lightning.

And just like that, Lightning was back on the menu :p

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

yeah. 15th should be fine with me

• Advertisement

ogiekeaney wrote: »
    yeah. 15th should be fine with me

Excellent stuff, man. Glad to hear it. I was going to PM you when I was 100% about the date. I've emailed the guy who's running the place with the date, so I'm hoping it's free that day. I'll keep you posted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Monsoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fr stack

wats up guys just signed up on boards.ie up untill yesterday i didnt even know an irish fightin game scene existed dunno how helpful this is but id well be up for some mk hopefully im not de only mk player in galway so any questions or wotever just let me know ill come back to this thread or just pm me cheers !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

As always: how did you learn about us?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

fr stack wrote: »
    wats up guys just signed up on boards.ie up untill yesterday i didnt even know an irish fightin game scene existed dunno how helpful this is but id well be up for some mk hopefully im not de only mk player in galway so any questions or wotever just let me know ill come back to this thread or just pm me cheers !!!

At the moment you'll probably have to travel, the only regular MK tournies I know of are the bi monthly day of champions in Dublin, but this is what people who want to grow their scene have to do!

Big MK head myself too, fr stack. I'd probably be up for a few fights.
    Do you play Street Fighter aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fr stack

well im on test your might forums and storms put up some match videos from day of champions he also gave me the link to this forum .... the last sf i played i was about 8 or 9 haha but i wouldnt mind pickin it up as everyone and his mother seems to love it im decent at tekken but havent played in a while mk is my game of choice ... i well would of been at that tourny if i had of known , is there a website for those tournies i can look at .also is that galway event definate cause ill go to meet an greet people play some casuals or wotever none of my mates will play me at mk unfortunately ... @deathrider we should have some games definately i need offline experience if i wanna place well at these events

fr stack wrote: »
    well im on test your might forums and storms put up some match videos from day of champions he also gave me the link to this forum .... the last sf i played i was about 8 or 9 haha but i wouldnt mind pickin it up as everyone and his mother seems to love it im decent at tekken but havent played in a while mk is my game of choice ... i well would of been at that tourny if i had of known , is there a website for those tournies i can look at .also is that galway event definate cause ill go to meet an greet people play some casuals or wotever none of my mates will play me at mk unfortunately ... @deathrider we should have some games definately i need offline experience if i wanna place well at these events

Excellent stuff. You're based in Galway yourself, I'm guessing, yeah? The even isn't 100% yet, but it's getting there. Watch this thread for it. Hopefully I'll know for sure within the next day. However, it will be a Street Fighter tournament, not an MK one.

Yeah, if you're local then I'd be up for a few MK fights. Haven't played the game in quite a while because I've only had AI to fight against, and that makes it pretty boring.

The site for the tournaments and such is http://randomselect.ie/ As far as I know, you should be able to keep up to date with things over there.

MK is always popular with casual gamers and with online play and youtube match videos/tutorials their level of play will likely be a lot higher than it would have been in the past. You might want to consider running an MK side tourney too to gauge interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Okay, so Inferno = fire, Tempest = water/wind.... Seismo does seem the way to go. I do like the elemental theme.

Landslide
    Earthquake
    Eruption
    Rupture
    Tremor

Just headspewing.

Advertisement