Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compression socks or calf guards??

• 11-09-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Compression socks or calf guards?? Whats the difference, which are better? Wanna get compression wear for the long runs, which to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Both do the same job.

Calf guards will allow you to wear your lucky socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

subscriber wrote: »
    Compression socks or calf guards?? Whats the difference, which are better? Wanna get compression wear for the long runs, which to buy?

Which one has research support their use in *some* circumstances? Which one doesn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

subscriber wrote: »

I used to cramp in about half my marathons, since wearing compression socks I haven't cramped in one.

A friend of mine used to have big problems with his right calf, he started wearing a calf guard a couple of years ago and swears by it (he only wears it on one leg, which always makes him easily identifiable in races).

Whatever works for you. Compression socks are fairly cheap, I'd go with them. If they don't work you can always try a calf guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I used to cramp in about half my marathons, since wearing compression socks I haven't cramped in one.

A friend of mine used to have big problems with his right calf, he started wearing a calf guard a couple of years ago and swears by it (he only wears it on one leg, which always makes him easily identifiable in races).

Whatever works for you. Compression socks are fairly cheap, I'd go with them. If they don't work you can always try a calf guard.

TFB, did you just cramp in your calf or other areas? Do you think the cramps ending was a case of more long runs/higher mileage, better nutrition or just down to the compression socks? I'm another serial cramper and looking into calf guards at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

TFB, did you just cramp in your calf or other areas? Do you think the cramps ending was a case of more long runs/higher mileage, better nutrition or just down to the compression socks? I'm another serial cramper and looking into calf guards at the moment.

Everything can be sorted by buying stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

My calves and achilles have been giving me a lot of problems this year so after a bit of research I went for the calve guards from 2xu.
    I tried them on a few runs but found that they were restricting movement in my calves and as a result were pulling my achilles.
    I now only wear them around the house and use them purely for recovery. From what I have heard, feel free to correct me here, you need to wear them for a few hours to get any benefit from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yes, I always cramped in my calves. I think the hamstrings joined in the fun once or twice as well, but the calves were the main culprits by far.

My nutrition did not change. As for being better prepared/more used to marathons/knowing how hard to push myself, sure, that's all true and it may well be the real factor rather than the compression socks.

However, going from cramping in 50% of all races to 0% the very moment I started using compression socks was good enough for me to stick with it. Maybe the timing was complete coincidence, and maybe it was not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There is a big difference in what terms 'compression' wear.

For example (because they're mentioned above) 2XU have compression calf guards which are suitable for racing and general wear if training. They also do a compression calf sleeve which is medical grade compression fabric designed for rehabilitation of muscle or for recovery flushing. The recovery compression should be worn for a few hours at a time only as they are tight.

Most compression socks (off the shelf) are based on the calf guard and do not feature medical grade fabric. You can wear these all day long if you like and they provide support to the calf muscles, reducing fatigue. They are also suitable for long distance travel and (with Dr's guidance) may help give relief from problem veins.

Not all 'compression' is compression and unfortunately the lines between base layer tops and medical grade recovery fabrics have become blurred.

When fitting any kind of compression / recovery clothing it is important to be measured for fit. A Medium calf guard is for a 16" calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I get the same issues so I started wearing leg warmers. Compression socks are great but I would love to find a pair that is a compression sock but a running sock in the foot area. Some compression socks are nylon type that bascailly mean that you will have nice soar feet with the friction. I got these. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nike-Therma-FIT-Thermal-Leg-Warmers/dp/B0049KIY6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316294402&sr=8-1 They are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Is there a local shop that sells these ? By local I am thinking amphibian in bray or ballymount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

rom wrote: »
    I would love to find a pair that is a compression sock but a running sock in the foot area.
    I have a pair of XSocks that are compression socks with a running foot area. Expensive, but I bought them a few years ago, and they're still every bit as good, so great in terms of value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Most compression socks (off the shelf) are based on the calf guard and do not feature medical grade fabric. You can wear these all day long if you like and they provide support to the calf muscles, reducing fatigue. They are also suitable for long distance travel and (with Dr's guidance) may help give relief from problem veins.

Are you telling me that compression socks are just a fancy runners name for those awful knee socks that my doctor made me wear when flying while pregnant ?

Forget it, I am not putting them on again, even ones with go-faster stripes and some pseudo-scientific blurb on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

@amphkingwest are there for sale in your stores ? I would like a pair to use next Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Picked up some of the compress sports calf guards a few weeks ago, they are far better the the compression socks that I used to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Sorry folks, I missed a couple of posts.
    Is there a local shop that sells these ? By local I am thinking amphibian in bray or ballymount

Both stores have a selection. Definitely CompresSport, should have Skins and 2XU as well. Ballymount (Base2Race) will have the CompresSport.

I've started using the CompresSport having been a long time 2XU user abuser and I like the results. We should have them shortly in Oranmore.
    huskerdu wrote: »
    Are you telling me that compression socks are just a fancy runners name for those awful knee socks that my doctor made me wear when flying while pregnant ?

These were possibly TED socks to help with circulation. TED's are a heavier grade of material (the medical stuff) which is found in the recovery socks, stockings & guards.

The term 'Compression socks' is like the Ronseal tin, its just what they do, nothing fancy about them really. In general people think that anything tight, clothing wise, is 'compression', its not, thats the distinction

Advertisement