Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering Waterford City

• 12-09-2011 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all.

I really hope that someone can help me.

I am currently unemployed. Rather than sit in and stare at the 4 walls all day, I would love to volunteer.

I would really like to call on the elderly that have no visitors all day as I would feel that this would give them a bit of company.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

XLC Project on Manor Street are always looking for volunteers with any knowledge of Junior/Leaving cert subjects for the school year if that helps?. I spent all last year helping out and it was well worthwhile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Try contacting ALONE (www.alone.ie) if the elderly is the area you're interested in... They do great work in Dublin and if they don't work in Waterford I'm sure they'll know who does!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

Thank you all! I appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

First of all fair play to ya!!!!!!!

You may want to get involved in something that might help you get back into the workforce too... something along the lines of Civil Defence or Red Cross / Order of Malta can lead to jobs in the emergency services sector, i personally know a lot of people that got into the Fire Brigade from experience they gained in the civil...

Might not be your cuppa tea but it also might be something you never pictured yourself doing.. till now!!

http://www.civildefence.ie/cdweb.nsf/enquiry?openform

http://www.redcross.ie/join-us-volunteer/
    Southern Region: Regional Director
    Email: rdusouth@redcross.ie

http://www.orderofmalta.ie/index.php/get-involved/volunteering
    Officer in Charge: Asst. Comdr. Michael Forristal
    Phone: 051 878 117
    E-Mail: waterford@orderofmalta.ie

Hope it helps!!

H

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynnyloo

Hi there,

Brothers of Charity are always looking for Volunteers and its gr8 fun.
    Some of the gang ( require minimum support )would love to go for lunch or to the pub in the evenings. Football / Hurling matches but unfortunatley the BOC are unable to always provide staff to do this.

I know that they have an information day coming up really soon for Volunteers so you could give them a ring on 051 833400..
    Follwing this there is always the possibility of a career in the future should a position become available..

Have a think about it.. It is definately worth while and extremely rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

If ya want to volunteer to do my job for me while i sit at home and still get paid thats no prob :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

Fair play to you. I can tell you from personal experience that volunteering is the best thing to do during periods of unemployment. Apart from helping people, it shows initiative, keeps your spirits up and gives you new stuff to add to your CV.
    Waterford Area Partnership has a list of volunteering opportunities in Waterford:
    http://www.wap.ie/volunteering.aspx
    www.volunteeringireland.ie might be of use (I have no experience of this one).

cococoady wrote: »
    If ya want to volunteer to do my job for me while i sit at home and still get paid thats no prob :-)

Nice try ;) God always loves a trier! :p

Thanks everyone! I will look into all of these! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

lynnyloo wrote: »
    Hi there,

Brothers of Charity are always looking for Volunteers and its gr8 fun.
    Some of the gang ( require minimum support )would love to go for lunch or to the pub in the evenings. Football / Hurling matches but unfortunatley the BOC are unable to always provide staff to do this.

I know that they have an information day coming up really soon for Volunteers so you could give them a ring on 051 833400..
    Follwing this there is always the possibility of a career in the future should a position become available..

Have a think about it.. It is definately worth while and extremely rewarding.
    Mother worked for brother of charity for about 15-20 years. Retired last year but loved the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,665 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

theres Childrens Group Link (up on military road, across from the Hyer). Im involved in the group, a great craic and brillent for your cv and you get a lot out of it. It runs on a Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5.30-8.15 and some Saturday Mornings 11.30-2.30.

www.Childrensgrouplink.ie

This Halloween they are running a house of horrors from Monday 24 oct - Monday 31st Oct in Unit 25 Cork Road Waterford behind the old Smyths Toy shop.

http://www.childrensgrouplink.ie/?goal=contents&mode=test&PHPSESSID=1f0780cf1b590df353b6593259824ba0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Moonmad

Theres a project based in St Brigids family resource centre that visits older people think it's called "the contact project". 051375261 for more info.
    ILoveShoez wrote: »
    Hi all.

I really hope that someone can help me.

I am currently unemployed. Rather than sit in and stare at the 4 walls all day, I would love to volunteer.

I would really like to call on the elderly that have no visitors all day as I would feel that this would give them a bit of company.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!:)

Advertisement