Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re resignation

Options
  • 12-09-2011 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    just looking for some advice.

I have been offered a new job and have accepted, but have not received the contract yet. I am wondering how the process works and at what point am I 'safe' to hand in my notice in my current position. Is it when I receive the contract in an email, or do I have to receive it by post and sign it and send it back, before everything is certain?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

When you've received the contract signed by them, that's when you're normally good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Eoin wrote: »
    When you've received the contract signed by them, that's when you're normally good to go.

Thanks Eoin - silly question maybe but does it need to be a hard copy or can it be an attachment to an email?

An email attachment won't be signed, unless they happened to sign a print out, scan it and email it to you. And I don't know if that would count as having a proper signed copy in your hands.

Realistically - you're only as safe as whatever notice period is specified, which might be a week during probation. So that's really all a signed contract means over an unsigned one.

An email attachment won't be signed, unless they happened to sign a print out, scan it and email it to you. And I don't know if that would count as having a proper signed copy in your hands.

Realistically - you're only as safe as whatever notice period is specified, which might be a week during probation. So that's really all a signed contract means over an unsigned one.

Thanks - makes sense. I think they may be sending a scanned copy but I'll wait for the hardcopy.
    It's more about when am I safe to hand in my notice at my current position, than how safe I am at the new company.

user33333 wrote: »
    It's more about when am I safe to hand in my notice at my current position, than how safe I am at the new company.

Are they not sort of one and the same thing?

A scanned copy is a pretty good indication that it's all been finalised and that T&Cs have been agreed.

Have they done the reference check and agreed the start date with you?

• Advertisement

Are they not sort of one and the same thing?

A scanned copy is a pretty good indication that it's all been finalised and that T&Cs have been agreed.

Have they done the reference check and agreed the start date with you?

Ref check done, start date will depend on when I hand in my notice, which depends on when they give me the contract (I won't do it until I have handed in)

Well, it's in their interests to get you the signed contract so you can put your notice in.

Personally, I'd probably just go ahead if I had the scanned copy with a signature. Not ideal, but in reality, I don't think there's really a huge amount of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

When I make an offer, I expect the candidate to hand in their notice on receipt of a softcopy of the contract by email. I will pop a signed one in the post shortly after that. The start date on the contract reflects this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I would accept the scanned copy and hand in my notice. If you wanna wait for the hard copy make sure your new employer is aware of that, it sometimes takes a bit of time and you don't wanna give them nasty shock when they realise they have to wait yet another four weeks to have their position filled.

Advertisement