Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i3 swim in Lough derg this weekend - temp?

• 12-09-2011 9:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    Im signed up for the 5k swim in Lough Derg this weekend. Im considering doing the swim without a wetsuit. Does anybody have any idea what the temperature of the lake is at present?
    Anybody else on boards doing the swim?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

I swim in the lake fairly often and I would not attempt it without a wetsuit. Sure best thing bring the wetsuit with ya you can always leave your wetsuit in the car if you dont want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks for that bravomike. I will follow up on that, bring the wetsuit along but the plan and hope is that I can complete the swim without a wetsuit...
    cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I do the Kilkee bay swim every year with out a wetsuit but layered in vaseline from the belly button up and around the shoulders ..... thats only 1600 metres and you'd be very cold after it.

5K - even if your a real strong swimmer, as in competively strong, your looking at over an hour anyway, closer to an hour and half if your a middle of the packer ..... your entering dangerous territory there...

.... actually now that I think of it will you be allowed do it without a wetsuit .... my best guess is no

Swimmers are allowed to swim with or without a wetsuit. I have done the Kilkee swim myself, in 2010 (my time was was 22.50, I was the 5th fastest swimmer on the day), and Im a pretty strong swimmer (I swim with Limerick Masters).
    I have done the Thomond Swim and have done a few 2K swims in Kerry this summer, all without a wetsuit, so Im going to go for it and try it without the wetsuit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

14 degrees in the water at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/i3swim

All the details

• Advertisement

so I did the swim today, without a wetsuit, time was 1:34:09, which considering there was no flow (ESB turnedd the generators) I was happy with, I was the 3rd fastest male skins and fastest male over 40 yrs old so it was a good, although a cold, day out!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Well Done OP! All the proceeds of the event go to the Special Olympics too so that's brilliant :)

Advertisement