Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Additional BB/TV Point

• 12-09-2011 9:19am
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a new cabin built in my back garden, which unfortunately is on a different circuit, so I am unable to use home plugs to send my broadband down. Is it possible to get a second broadband/tv point put into the cabin from UPC? I am assuming so, but my concern is that it is not connected to the house. I know you can get additional TV points around the house, but I dont know if you can get the combo broadband/tv points?

I currently have a trench dug to run power down from the house to the cabin, so I assume a cable could go along here if they can?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

What is the exact distance?

You could use a network cable from your router. Simply a Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable. Cat-6 would be more better suited for your need because it's shielded better.

Also, I would recommend putting it through waterproof tubing for extra protection.

If you have more than 1 computer in your cabin, get a network switch: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Netgear-GS105-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Switch-/390341735206?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL&hash=item5ae22e3326#ht_1908wt_905

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Best option would be to run an Ethernet cable down a pipe to the shed. Even if UPC ran the TV cable out to it, you'd have to move your modem out there, and then you'd have no broadband in the house.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for the replies. So it looks like I will have to just run network cable out for Internet anyway? I have a large concrete shed right beside the cabin, which has power on the same circuit as the house. I might rig up a second router and see if I can get wifi picked up (the shed is about 1 foot thick concrete). If not, would insulated Cat6 cable be fine for running over a distance of about 20 metres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you're fine with cat5 & cat6 up to 100m (officially) assuming it's put in correctly, so 20m is perfectly fine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭BaronVon

On this subject, is it possible to buy a second cable modem, and run it from a different UPC access point?

eg, I have UPC broadband coming in through the sitting room.

The PS3 is in the garage room, and its on a wireless connection. However, I have a UPC point in the garage room which the tv is connected to.

Can I buy another cable modem, like the atlanta scientific one that UPC issue, and connect the PS3 directly to it?

If it is possible, can I use any type of cable modem, or are UPC ones flashed?

If this is possible, it would be a lot easier than digging up floorboards to run an ethernet cable through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

infacteh wrote: »
    If this is possible, it would be a lot easier than digging up floorboards to run an ethernet cable through.

No, unless you get a 2nd UPC account, and only then if they'd actually allow you to do it (unlikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Advertisement