Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rock of Doon

Options
  • 12-09-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about the Holy Well at the rock of Doon near Letterkenny. I am interested to know what the water cures. Is it a general cure or something more specific? Do people drink the water as part of the cure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Is it a general cure or something more specific? Do people drink the water as part of the cure?

It's a cure all sorta place. Lector O'Friel is the man that is supposed to have given the water from the well its special powers...

The waters miracalous powers can be obtained by "those who drank or applied its waters"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

As far as I know, it's a general cure.
    I think the cure involves drinking the water, with some set prayers that are to be said.

I've heard that the people who live in the house beside the well are very helpful with advice for "pilgrims" - though I've never met them, personally.

I'll ask around, and see what I can find out for you, and get back to you later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Noreen1 wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's a general cure.
    I think the cure involves drinking the water, with some set prayers that are to be said.

I've heard that the people who live in the house beside the well are very helpful with advice for "pilgrims" - though I've never met them, personally.

I'll ask around, and see what I can find out for you, and get back to you later.

I have been there twice and was unsure about drinking the water. are there many proven success stories?

the prayers are set in stone, literally.

I gather if you want something like a baby you tie a soother onto the tree?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭irishpal25

that water doesn't look safe to drink to me... don't people put coins and the such in there? might be better going to a doctor to cure what ails you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

irishpal25 wrote: »
    that water doesn't look safe to drink to me... don't people put coins and the such in there? might be better going to a doctor to cure what ails you ;)

these days people google a cure as very often the doctor tells you little you do not already know yourself and you pay at least 60 e for the experience.
    people sometimes place coins around the well, but no in the actual water itself.

why do people place coins on the rock itself where the o donnell plaque is?
    is this a ong established tradition?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I have been there twice and was unsure about drinking the water. are there many proven success stories?

the prayers are set in stone, literally.

I gather if you want something like a baby you tie a soother onto the tree?

No. People who have been cured of various ailments in the past have left crutches, bandages etc. at the tree.
    I'm told the usual pilgrimage prayers are 7 Our Fathers, 7 Hail Mary's, 7 Glory be, and the Creed.

I've never actually done the pilgrimage, myself, though I have been at the well, and the rock.
    I've no idea why people place coins on the rock. (or in the well, either!:D)

Advertisement