Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Accomodation.... Mice!

Options
  • 12-09-2011 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm living in rental accomodation and we've just discovered we have mice. Is it up to us to sort this problem or should we contact the landlord to get rentokill in?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd assume its up to the landlord unless you've something specific in your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It should be the landlords responsibility if the mice are entering the house through a crack or a drain/vent space. (ie structural part of the house) but if the door is being left open and mice are entering at their own will then it's the tenants problem.

Unfortunately my OH had a problem like this, a mouse in the house, all areas checked, no entry cracks visible and the only droppings were behind the fridge against a solid wall. Turns out the tenant had been leaving the door open for their dog to go in and out of the garden during the day:rolleyes:. So in this case it was actually the tenants problem.

This time of the year is particularly bad for mice trying to shelter and find food indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

ah right. I'm fairly sure its through a hole in the plasterboard behind the cooker used to accomodate the pipes. The two times we've seen them is around the cooker and there was a load of droppings on it too. What is the landlord obliged to do in regards solving the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Should be the landlord then. Check from outside and see if there's room around any pipes or drains for the mice to get in (a tiny space or crack is all they need!) When the landlord comes to inspect point out any areas that might be entrance points. The landlord will need to block these with expanding foam/polyfilla to ensure subsequent infestations don't occur.

Then they need to tackle the problem inside the house, with traps rather than poison. (poison can lead to rotting mouse carcasses under floorboards, not nice:() either than or contact rentokil if the infestation is bad - ie they have a nest and a family in the house.

Advertisement