Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic artist: Art book collection question?

Options
  • 12-09-2011 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question for those in the know.

I'm not much of comic book reader anymore these days but am still interested in the artists.

I am looking for any comic book artists who have an interesting art book collection.

Typical example would be the Tim Sale collection 'Black and White'...one of my favourite artists. It's excellent, an interview discussing the very beginining of his career to where he is now plus all the relevant art. It's really possible to see how his style developed over the years in the book.

Could anyone recommend a similar book from an artist?

Regards.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Quite a few prominent comic artists & animators do these sorts of books, ranging from sketchbooks to full-on career-spanning things.

The highest-profile recent example I can think of is Icons: The DC & Wildstorm Art of Jim Lee which came out last year and seemed to be quite well-received, but it's hardly a rarity or unique phenomenon.

If you post a few examples of artists that you like I'm sure some of the folks on here can post up details of artbooks and/or sketchbooks that they may have released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I had a quick look at Jim Lee's art book on Amazon but it's difficult to tell what the book is like on the inside. Is it just a collection of his art or are there interviews about his work and his career included?

I guess i'm looking for a good mix in a book between the artists career, art study (some good reading) and a collection from their early to latest work.

Some artists that interest me are Mike Mignola, Jim Aparo, Frank Millar, David Mazzucchelli, Neal Adams, Alan Davis, Michael Lark and Alex Maleev.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Twomorrows publishing are one of the most prominent publishers in this area, their Modern Masters books are a mix of art, interview and biography covering an artists career, influences and techniques.
    theres a list of their books at http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=95_70&sort=20a&page=1 but these can all be ordered through diamond by your local comic shop iirc.

The Jack Kirby Collector is another of their publications and it alwasy has plenty of uninked Kirby pencilled pages showing the raw power and dynamism of his art http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_57&products_id=1007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Thanks BlaasForRafa.

Very very cool links, just what I needed, very much appreciated.

Having had a look though Amazon, i'm currently considering the Neal Adams or the Alan Davis sketchbooks. Trying to source some books with collected material and interviews with Jim Aparo which is a bit more difficult.

Regards.

Advertisement