Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Storey Extension

Options
  • 12-09-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I hope this hasn't been asked too many times before. I am looking to add a 400sqm extention to the back of my house. Approx 27ft in width and 13ft out. It would serve as a kitchen dining room and would also incorporate the existing living room by bringing that out in like with the new room. It would mean taking out the back wall and putting in the necessary supports. The extension itself should be pretty basic, one big room open plan and then a door leading into the existing living room. The back should have a lot of glass as it's north facing so want to bring in as much light as possible.

i'm wondering what would be a reslistic price guide? I know my kitchen is a seperate bill to the building work. I live in Dublin North and would be looking to get this done around November time, is this unrealitic to have work done at that time of year or should I wait until the new year?

Many thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi Brazzer,

problem with giving you a guide to the price, is
    It would mean taking out the back wall and putting in the necessary supports.

Depends totally on what needs to be done. I assume you want the existing back wall, opened out, this will need a Structural Engineer, to detail, specify and monitor.
    I suggest you get this aspect looked at first, as without this info, any per Sq Ft estimate you will get will be misleading.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Brazzer

Thanks Martinn123, can I ask, are you a builder yourself?? Am so anxious about getting a price that's out of my reach and really want to do the work before we move in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Brazzer wrote: »
    Thanks Martinn123, can I ask, are you a builder yourself?? Am so anxious about getting a price that's out of my reach and really want to do the work before we move in

Where are you based

Glasnevin...

Glasnevin...

I just finished 1 in Sandyford if you want to have a look at it

• Advertisement

What kind of extension did you build and how much did it come to?

What kind of extension did you build and how much did it come to?

20x13 with an-suit 23k was the finished price

Was that a single storey or double?

Was that a single storey or double?

single storey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Carpenter wrote: »
    20x13 with an-suit 23k was the finished price

Does that include vat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Hi Guys

I hope this hasn't been asked too many times before. I am looking to add a 400sqm extention to the back of my house. Approx 27ft in width and 13ft out. It would serve as a kitchen dining room and would also incorporate the existing living room by bringing that out in like with the new room. It would mean taking out the back wall and putting in the necessary supports. The extension itself should be pretty basic, one big room open plan and then a door leading into the existing living room. The back should have a lot of glass as it's north facing so want to bring in as much light as possible.

i'm wondering what would be a reslistic price guide? I know my kitchen is a seperate bill to the building work. I live in Dublin North and would be looking to get this done around November time, is this unrealitic to have work done at that time of year or should I wait until the new year?

I think you must have a mis type there 400sqm!

40sqm is the max allowed without planning permision if it is to the rear.
    As a rough guide allow 100 euro per sqm.
    To get it to service level built correctly safely and legally with the steel support rough price 50k plus vat, call it 60k for 40sqm Thats without a kitchen but with one real velox window, one set of french doors.
    Glass is actually more expensive than brick work and has to be ordered of course with approx 4 week lead time

I only know this because I got a couple of quotes myself.
    I suugest you get a proper quote from extension builders using your friend google!

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think you must have a mis type there 400sqm!

As a rough guide allow 100 euro per sqm.
    Kettle/black arse/pot etc :D

Hi Guys

To clarify, your 27' X 13' = 350 Sq Ft, or 33 SqM.
    Allow E100. per Sq Ft = 35K.

This would not include the demolition of the rear wall, as I mentioned previously this needs a Structural Engineer, unless you are just knocking out a window.

Hope this helps,
    Brazzer wrote:

Replied by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭phester28

These prices are all ex vat. but what vat rate do you apply as I would imagine 40% is on materials and 60% is on labor which have different rates. 21 and 12.5 last time I took notice.

phester28 wrote: »
    These prices are all ex vat. but what vat rate do you apply as I would imagine 40% is on materials and 60% is on labor which have different rates. 21 and 12.5 last time I took notice.

Supply and Fit = 13.5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Havent a Saloman Kalou

Martinn is right between €85-€100 per sq foot. depends on the spec.

I am a builder based in glasnevin. If you get in touch Brazzer i can have a look.

scwazrh wrote: »
    Does that include vat?

No +Vat

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vietnam5

phester28 wrote: »

vat rate is 13.5%.
    Extension costs are between 700e to 1000s per square metre.
    This is just a guide.If it is a flat roof and you are using fibreglass that
    will cost 300 per square metre.A zinc roof will cost less approx 250 per square metre.

Advertisement