Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books- Newest editions?

Options
  • 12-09-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Anyone know how important (or not important) it is to have the newest editions of books? specifically Law textbooks?

For example I can get "The Irish Legal System" 4th edition for €50, but the booklist I was given says 5th edition... which is twice as expensive! I wouldn't mind getting a book if I knew it was going to be used a lot but for all I know it might only be used a little bit this year and that's it, so I'd rather go with the older one... would I be leaving myself at a disadvantage by going for 4th instead of 5th edition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

njd2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know how important (or not important) it is to have the newest editions of books? specifically Law textbooks?

For example I can get "The Irish Legal System" 4th edition for €50, but the booklist I was given says 5th edition... which is twice as expensive! I wouldn't mind getting a book if I knew it was going to be used a lot but for all I know it might only be used a little bit this year and that's it, so I'd rather go with the older one... would I be leaving myself at a disadvantage by going for 4th instead of 5th edition?

Had the 4th edition of the book in question last year. IMO it's fine, tbh for the exam I just went through the lecture slides the night before and that was pretty much all I needed for a B3. Although iirc you need to do an essay and for that I did use the book a bit, but nothing that can't be gotten off a mate or out of the library as long as you don't leave it until the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Agreed, the 4th edition is fine. I wasted €90 on getting the new one. You couldn't even see much difference tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

I always go with older editions of everything. If you have a flick through the contents page of both and photocopy and parts which you may be missing, all should be hunky dory :)

Advertisement