Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanding and colouring floorboards

• 12-09-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43

Hi guys! Have a living area thats 27ftx12ft that has hardwood timber floorboards(not sure what type of wood) which are currently varnish with a mellow colour that looks cheap and dated.

I want to get it resanded and stained darker, something like a medium-dark oak or a light walnut, something rich and warm.

My question is which is cheaper? - Do it myself or get a company in to do it like the ultimate floor sanding company? if theres only a small amount in the price I wouldnt have a problem gettin it professionally done.

The house is in Wexford Town if anybody has any names of local businesses or trades people who would have experience doing this kind of thing and how much they charge per sq ft/m?

Thanks guys :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 spikealmighty

I know that renting a sander and buffer for a day will be 40 a day each or 120 a week.
    For a room that size Ill need two tins of colour so thats 100?

kinda worried the diy route wont give me the cool finish I'm after, plus there doesnt seem to be a great choice of colour stains for floorboards - granted Ive only looked in woodies so far! and I dont know how the colour will react with the floorboards, hmm maybe I do need a professional:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

OP I would say get a professional in especially if the floor is a good quality hardwood. You will never get the finish they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 spikealmighty

Yeah Im thinking that myself, Anyone know anybody who could do the job in Wexford?

Advertisement