Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for Private Teachers

Options
  • 12-09-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi there.I am thinking of starting private teaching lessons and am wondering how one would go about getting insurance for it. ie. to protect myself and or students (mainly children)

Anybody have any ideas of where to look or the cheapest quotes I'd be looking at?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Chances are that the company with whom you have your current household insurance will upgrade the policy to cover private tuition in the home, phone them and ask for a quote for the extra cover.

Read your existing policy, you may be already covered because from an insurance perspective the risk of an accident to a student coming to your house to do music or grinds is probably negligible or at worst it's no more than the risk of a social visitor having a similar accident.

I just read the Axa household policy and there's no specific exclusion for people coming to the house and paying for a service such as tuition. However the very fact that you are giving tuition might require you to upgrade your domestic policy to that of a small business being run from the home so you really need to phone your insurance company and ask them how you obtain cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

What you are doing is a business and excluded under the majority of household policies. Once you accept money from someone who enters your home, you owe them a higher duty of care than the normal visitor. Allianz do a policy for what you need for €200 - €250 per year. All good brokers have access to the policy for you if your home insurers won't extend your current policy

Advertisement