Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Bruton Minister for jobs

• 12-09-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Saw Richard Bruton head into City Council offices this morning. I wonder what bull he fed our willing councillors?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

He says we need to do a 'SWOT' analysis of the South East.

And it's the FDI companies who decide whether they want to set up in Waterford, i.e. not the fault of IDA or Government.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well ya cant force someone to setup.

Would love to look at smaller business though - high rates and rents don't exactly help.

Of course you can't force potential FDI companies to set up, but the IDA aren't even bringing them to Waterford, there has only been a handful of visits the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

Max Powers wrote: »
    Saw Richard Bruton head into City Council offices this morning. I wonder what bull he fed our willing councillors?

There will be a few that will believe him in what he will say as well.

A question re the news on RTE at 1. When they showed the Minister going into the Talk Talk centre, he was met by Paudie Coffey and Maurice Cummins. Where was John Deasy. Has he had a falling out with Fine Gael or are they just making sure that he is there for when ever he might be needed. Is it just the A*** lickers they bring out for a ministers visit when there is a camera of any sorts around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jesus H Crisps we wonder why a better class of people don't run for office well the answer is Deise 2012 and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

John was welcome to attend as is any other TD and some Fine Gael crew in the area. He sometimes pops along but doesn't mix with the others. Keeps to himself a bit, speaks with the press or his own followers.

He was backing Richard for leader not so long ago, so I doubt its anything personal and is unlikely to be invite only.

Maybe he was busy/working/holidaying/not interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I think the IDA are getting a bad rap here, my company went to the IDA with a proposal for a primarily UK call center opportunity with further opportunities for EU languages.

The best deal I was offered was to base the business in Waterford. 12 months free rent, twice the per employee allowance from other Irish cities. Limerick was next followed by the rest with Cork and Dublin at the bottom.

The issue with Waterford is getting to it, the regional airport routes are weak. International travelers are restricted to 2nd class connecting airports, as a minimum you need Amsterdam, Paris or London Heathrow. No business traveler would want 3 flights especially a long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

krissovo wrote: »
    I think the IDA are getting a bad rap here, my company went to the IDA with a proposal for a primarily UK call center opportunity with further opportunities for EU languages.

The best deal I was offered was to base the business in Waterford. 12 months free rent, twice the per employee allowance from other Irish cities. Limerick was next followed by the rest with Cork and Dublin at the bottom.

The issue with Waterford is getting to it, the regional airport routes are weak. International travelers are restricted to 2nd class connecting airports, as a minimum you need Amsterdam, Paris or London Heathrow. No business traveler would want 3 flights especially a long haul.

Can I ask what location your company went with in the end? Because, Galway's air connectivity is only slightly better than Waterford's, and Galway looks like it's airport will close in the near future.

Obviously, Cork and Dublin have far better access by air, but I am interested in finding out how it comes to pass that Galway is considered a more desirable location than Waterford. To outside eyes, they are both a couple of big towns with more or less the same infrastructure and accessibility. Waterford, in fact, is slightly more accessible. It is true that Galway has established a medical devices cluster, which makes it more tempting for those companies to set up there, but that cluster took time to build up, and in the meantime, similar work was not done in Waterford.

I accept that you say Waterford was the best offer from the IDA. Fair enough, but how does in come to pass that FDI companies have to be bribed to come to Waterford in the first place? What are they hearing about Waterford and from whom? I suspect there is a government and/or IDA story about advertising Ireland to FDI that does not push Waterford as strongly as some of the other cities. Perhaps much is made elsewhere of Irish universities and Waterford stands out in not having one. I'd really love to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

merlante wrote: »
    Can I ask what location your company went with in the end? Because, Galway's air connectivity is only slightly better than Waterford's, and Galway looks like it's airport will close in the near future.

We selected Cork in the end, from a business perspective if you want to trade in the EU you need decent air connectivity to the UK, Germany and France. Cork is not much better than the rest but it has good flight times for Amsterdam/London/Paris/Munich where you connect to anywhere in Europe or the World.

Clients may only visit once but if takes a full business day or more to get there from the EU and longer for the rest of the world then they would be nervous to trade with you if they cannot hop on a plane and resolve issues quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Sully wrote: »
    Well ya cant force someone to setup.

Come on Sully, The IDA is well know for not giving a hoot about Waterford and the south east not as bad. Just look at the IDA article in the examiner today, the CEO of IDA has said that FDI has mainly benefited Dublin, COrk and Galway. So the IDA are pushing these places to the south-easts loss. It seems like Waterford is not in the picture for them, reasons for that include:

-downgrade of Waterford IDA offices
    - Political power or lack of it in Waterford
    - all the West counties coming together to act as big lobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Sully wrote: »
    John was welcome to attend as is any other TD and some Fine Gael crew in the area. He sometimes pops along but doesn't mix with the others. Keeps to himself a bit, speaks with the press or his own followers.

He was backing Richard for leader not so long ago, so I doubt its anything personal and is unlikely to be invite only.

Maybe he was busy/working/holidaying/not interested?

why kind of horse**** is this??? John Deasy was at talktalk today with richard bruton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    There will be a few that will believe him in what he will say as well.

A question re the news on RTE at 1. When they showed the Minister going into the Talk Talk centre, he was met by Paudie Coffey and Maurice Cummins. Where was John Deasy. Has he had a falling out with Fine Gael or are they just making sure that he is there for when ever he might be needed. Is it just the A*** lickers they bring out for a ministers visit when there is a camera of any sorts around.

john deasy was at talktalk today with Richard Bruton and he hung around to meet with groups of workers afterwards. Just because he didnt go around seeking out TV cameras doesnt mean that he wasnt there doing his job!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

From what I heard Bruton was full of waffle, and offered no concrete proposals. Disappointed. I would have liked him to address the issue of grants for students who will find themselves short of cash now to go through college after the TalkTalk closure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It was a controlled case of crisis management for Richard Bruton. He basically came down to say there was nothing that he could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

krissovo wrote: »
    We selected Cork in the end, from a business perspective if you want to trade in the EU you need decent air connectivity to the UK, Germany and France. Cork is not much better than the rest but it has good flight times for Amsterdam/London/Paris/Munich where you connect to anywhere in Europe or the World.

Clients may only visit once but if takes a full business day or more to get there from the EU and longer for the rest of the world then they would be nervous to trade with you if they cannot hop on a plane and resolve issues quickly.

This was on The Right Hook today if anyone wants to listen it's five minutes in. Reference made to the University and Waterford.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/monday/3/popup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

What a load of tosh for Bruton coming down to Waterford to try and "convince" the company to extend the period of time.As if they are going to listen to him or anyone else.I heard some fella from the company on the radio saying it was still a good meeting, yeah right:rolleyes:.Unfortunately 30 days is nothing new as regards notice, we in SCA out in Kilcohan in 2008 were given the same amount of time before been kicked out too.Did any minister come down to us? No they feckin did not.:( Its just the government trying to make themselves look good:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

A waste of petrol and the f8cking price of it, he should have had a video conference meeting as it would have saved a few quid of tax payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

The title thread should be 'Richard Brutal Minister for No Jobs':eek:

john deasy was at talktalk today with Richard Bruton and he hung around to meet with groups of workers afterwards. Just because he didnt go around seeking out TV cameras doesnt mean that he wasnt there doing his job!!
    why kind of horse**** is this??? John Deasy was at talktalk today with richard bruton.

Never said he wasn't. I was going by reports that he wasn't, and someone asked for an explanation.
    AdMMM wrote: »
    It was a controlled case of crisis management for Richard Bruton. He basically came down to say there was nothing that he could do.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Oh I completely understand that he had to come down, regardless of what he could actually do. It's just disappointing that that there was nothing he could do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

He came in, went straight into a meeting, didn't make a lick of difference, then stated the obvious for the rest of the day.

Tbh I don't think anyone was expecting him to do much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is there something the IDA can give Waterford? A "cluster" of businesses in the same sector

The last big area was funds and financial services and Cork has hundreds if not thousands of these jobs. Over six hundred in Citco in two offices in Cork
    Good jobs too, well paid and as secure as any job realy.

Galway has healthcare and medical devices

Why are Cork and Galway doing better then the South East
    Better lobbying?

Clusters can work. Not saying to rely on the next big thing but Waterford got passed over by the funds industry while Cork did well.
    Sure even Louth got a few hundred of these.

edit, yes I think the airport is a very important factor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

mikemac wrote: »
    Is there something the IDA can give Waterford? A "cluster" of businesses in the same sector

The last big area was funds and financial services and Cork has hundreds if not thousands of these jobs. Over six hundred in Citco in two offices in Cork
    Good jobs too, well paid and as secure as any job realy.

Galway has healthcare and medical devices

Why are Cork and Galway doing better then the South East
    Better lobbying?

Clusters can work. Not saying to rely on the next big thing but Waterford got passed over by the funds industry while Cork did well.
    Sure even Louth got a few hundred of these.

edit, yes I think the airport is a very important factor

We had a Senior Minister at the Cabinet table for 7 years who made a mess of every portfolio he had and did SFA except feather his own nest at taxpayers expense. Yes, Cork, Galway and Limerick did well because they had more competent people lobbying on their behalf while we had Mawmouth Cullen.

Says it all really. I guess many of those 12,000 who voted for the useless sack of **** feel good this morning. I'm sure he feels all your pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Cork and galway done better than Waterford as the IDA/Govt priortised those and Dublin, Waterford and the south east was not promoted. The stats showing lack of FDI visits to Waterford and south east added to IDA job creation in south east shows what IDA thinks of Waterford and south east....very little

Brutons plan will sit on a shelf like all other plans done in Ireland, political favours come first. Bruton will say look what we done for ye when some company creates about 20 jobs here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Max Powers wrote: »
    Cork and galway done better than Waterford as the IDA/Govt priortised those and Dublin, Waterford and the south east was not promoted. The stats showing lack of FDI visits to Waterford and south east added to IDA job creation in south east shows what IDA thinks of Waterford and south east....very little

Brutons plan will sit on a shelf like all other plans done in Ireland, political favours come first. Bruton will say look what we done for ye when some company creates about 20 jobs here

The Celtic Tiger never visited Waterford. He turned up at the gates, sniffed the ground, cocked his leg and headed back to Dublin.

Meanwhile the village idiot got 12,000 votes.

Bruton's Action Plan sounds familiar:
    Tánaiste announces ‘Strategy Waterford’ IDA to Target Waterford as a Priority for New Investment

"Waterford has not benefited from the employment opportunities in the manufacturing and internationally traded services sectors to the same extent as some other parts of the country" said Tánaiste Mary Harney when she visited Waterford today (Friday 23rd February 2001).

"Waterford is one of Ireland’s largest cities but it has not been as successful as, for example, Dublin, Cork, Limerick or Galway in attracting new investment", the Tánaiste said

The Tánaiste said she was very conscious of this situation and shared the ambition of others for future growth in Waterford.

The Tánaiste confirmed that she has asked IDA Ireland to target Waterford for priority action. "However, I think we need to go one step further", she said.

She said "Experience has shown that investors, both domestic and foreign, will locate in cities which have a vibrant proactive local network and infrastructure. My vision for the future of Waterford involves a dynamic business environment and a new and unique approach to the particular needs of the area. I believe the establishment of a group representing all relevant interests under the banner Strategy Waterford is the right approach for future development in Waterford".

The Tánaiste continued "Strategy Waterford will develop a pathway for Waterford to become a dynamic centre for business and industry in the 21st century. I will make available the necessary resources of my Department and its agencies to the group, which will involve representatives of business, Local Government, Community Groups and Trade Unions. A recent analysis carried out by Forfas on the strengths and weaknesses of Waterford will be made available to the group to assist it in its work". The Tánaiste added that the group must focus on realisable objectives and concrete steps to achieve these within a realistic timeframe.

The Tánaiste said this new initiative supports in a practical and tangible way the efforts of the Government to build a society based on enterprise and initiative.
    http://www.djei.ie/press/2001/230201.htm

Thanks for answering my question.

A waste of petrol and the f8cking price of it, he should have had a video conference meeting as it would have saved a few quid of tax payers money.

Think expenses, the government cars are gone remember. I saw James Riely in an 04 car recently.

Advertisement