Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nct a commercial.

• 12-09-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

If I was to Nct a commercial fourtrack do I need to put seats in the back and windows in the back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

kermitpwee wrote: »
    If I was to Nct a commercial fourtrack do I need to put seats in the back and windows in the back?

You cannot NCT a commercial vehicle. (Commercial is defined by it's structure, not it's taxation class)

Putting Seats and glass back into it would render it liable to the ludicrously high Motor tax. (2.8 litre ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Gophur wrote: »
    You cannot NCT a commercial vehicle. (Commercial is defined by it's structure, not it's taxation class)

Putting Seats and glass back into it would render it liable to the ludicrously high Motor tax. (2.8 litre ?)

I was going to just tax it for the winter if I could Nct it as I will only need it for 3 months a year. So can I nct it and if so do I have to put glass and seats in as I would prefer not to have to do that as I would be taking them back out after the Nct anyway.

I was going to just tax it for the winter if I could Nct it as I will only need it for 3 months a year. So can I nct it and if so do I have to put glass and seats in as I would prefer not to have to do that as I would be taking them back out after the Nct anyway.

Put seats and glass in it and you will have to pay VRT.

Put seats and glass in it and you will have to pay VRT.

I doubt there would be too much on a 1995 fourtrack would there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Don't you need to DOE test a commercial not NCT it?

• Advertisement

Yawlboy wrote: »
    Don't you need to DOE test a commercial not NCT it?
    I was going to private tax it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I was going to private tax it.

If it's registered as a commercial, it's a commercial - regardless of how it's taxed, and as such needs a DOE.

That's unless you go to the hassle of getting it to passenger specification and getting it approved as a passenger vehicle by the Revenue. VRT would be applicable to this, but probably at a low enough amount.

I doubt there would be too much on a 1995 fourtrack would there?

€720 would be the charge. 36% rate and a very high emissions vehicle. Min OMSP of €2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

R.O.R wrote: »
    If it's registered as a commercial, it's a commercial - regardless of how it's taxed, and as such needs a DOE.

That's unless you go to the hassle of getting it to passenger specification and getting it approved as a passenger vehicle by the Revenue. VRT would be applicable to this, but probably at a low enough amount.

I'd imagine the c02 would put it in the top band and as such he'd get hit for €720 minimum amount? Maybe minus the €50 it would have originally had paid on it?

EDIT, Beaten by Gophur

€720 would be the charge. 36% rate and a very high emissions vehicle. Min OMSP of €2k

Thanks mate. Thats that plan out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Isn't it still the case that you can Tax it Privately and the "loophole" exists whereby the DOE don't want to know (because it's privately taxed), and the NCT don't test Commercial vehicles (regardless of what taxation class they are in) ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Isn't it still the case that you can Tax it Privately and the "loophole" exists whereby the DOE don't want to know (because it's privately taxed), and the NCT don't test Commercial vehicles (regardless of what taxation class they are in) ???

Yes there is but if you are stopped by the cops you could get 5 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Is that the "up to 5 points" that you can only get in court (i.e. if the guard decides to prosecute for lack of NCT)?
    Surely, if you can't get the NCT to test the vehicle (they don't do commercial vehicles), and the DOE don't do privately taxed vehicles, then it would not be fair to even attempt to prosecute somebody for not having the vehicle tested ?
    I thought they would have sorted this out by now....I don't see why the NCT can't test any car (or jeep) derived commercials which are privately taxed. Apart from the lack of rear seats and seat belts everything else is the same as the car from which it was originally based upon ?

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Once again, There is no longer a loophole.

Cars need an nct, vans/jeeps etc need DOE, doesn't matter how they are taxed.

So if a gaurd stops & asks for your doe or nct , whatever applies and you don't have one - you DO risk being presecuted & getting 5 points. Will all depend on the gaurd that stops you but be warned, you have been told.

OP: if you fulfill the criteria for changing from commerical to passenger inc vrt then you can NCT it but it's alot of hassle/loop jumoping for very little reward.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

As has been said, that loophole has now been closed.

There was a time when we couldn't test a commercial unless it was taxed as such and had an unladen weight.

That rule was changed a while back, although the RSA neglected to inform the DoE testers at the time! :mad:

Advertisement