Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Store Lambs

• 12-09-2011 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

I have no experience with sheep, but from what I know, they do a great job as first season grazers on autumn reseeds.
    I have 3 acres reseeded in past few weeks, and I'm thinking of buying in a few store lambs to graze the reseed over the winter, and hopefully promote thickening and tillering of the grass come spring time. Also feel it might be benefical to have it tightly grazed to help protect from frost.

Question is, what kind of lambs to buy? I would like to keep a few for the freezer and sell the balance before the spring lambs come on the market.

What weight bracket lambs should I get and what price are they making now? I'm thinking 30kgs or so?? Would that be a bit on small side?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

About 35kg+ would suit you. 3 acres wont keep too many lambs though in the winter when the grass shuts down growing.
    Ewe lambs are a bit dearer at the moment even for stores as everyone is buying ewe lambs with a view to breeding them or selling as breeding hoggests next year. Ideally you should get wether lambs as ram lambs meat can be a bit strong especially if its for your own freezer
    It depends where you are located Hill farming low land as regards what breed but generally something like a suffolk cross would prob suit you,

Advertisement