Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT unveils duct and pole broadband pricing

• 12-09-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Any change of the following happening in Ireland? Could Comreg force Eircom to allow rivals such as UPC and Magnet access to their ducts?

"BT's Openreach arm has proposed a tariff of £0.95 per metre to let rival ISPs run their own cables through its ducts, and £21 per telegraph pole to string up lines."

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/364393/bt-unveils-duct-and-pole-broadband-pricing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

DonJose wrote: »
    Any change of the following happening in Ireland? Could Comreg force Eircom to allow rivals such as UPC and Magnet access to their ducts?

"BT's Openreach arm has proposed a tariff of £0.95 per metre to let rival ISPs run their own cables through its ducts, and £21 per telegraph pole to string up lines."

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/364393/bt-unveils-duct-and-pole-broadband-pricing

Board Gas & ESB have been laying dark-fibre for years so that another option.

Board Gas have been laying the fibre into their new gas pipes they have laid into ALOT of places they can also fire fibre down a "live" pipe without interfering with the gas supply.

ESB have also been doing this since they major cost is digging the hole so say not say a few runs of fiber along side their large power cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The issue in Ireland is more one of local access to fibre networks rather than more backhaul.

We'd need fibre to home options which is where eircom, or possibly ESB might come in handy.

It'll be a long time before anything like that happens in Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Board Gas & ESB have been laying dark-fibre for years so that another option.

Whats Dark-Fibre? is it like 'Dark Matter'? I bet it is! ;)

Anyway I saw an article stating that the state wanted to meet some EU directive (was it 17?) to have 30Mb to every home.

So how is cash strapped (400m in reserve) and ~3Bn in debt Eircom going to do this?

I think its time to just believe in the march that the likes of UPC and Magnet have on at the moment and pray they begin investing back into their own Fibre rollouts seeing as their subscriptions have grown 30%! And will continue I bet - well done to them I say!

(Ya lab testing have given stupid Gbps speeds over copper, is this what Eircom are waiting on?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

first, Dark fiber (unless your joking) is Fiber that has not been lit up yet... So, unconnected, but available for use if needs be...

Second, that 30Mb/s to all homes... is that an Average speed of 30Mb/s or for all?

Assuming 4.5million people = 1.5 million homes...

connect 0.5million to 100mb/s
    leave the rest on 56k

average for the population is about 33mb/s...

known the current economic climate, that's the maths they may end up using...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I just shot off an email to ComReg and the Minister for Communications to see if they have any plans on putting pressure on Eircom to allow ISPs access to their ducting. Can you imagine the improvements and cost savings if UPC and other ISPs were allowed run their cables through existing ducting.

Advertisement