Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tri gear query

Options
  • 12-09-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    I am mainly a swimmer but I do one or two triathlons every year to help me keep fit. After just completing the Galway Ironman 70.3 event (in 6.23), and really enjoying it, Id like to approach my next triathlon with better gear to see if this will help improve my performance - along of course with more training!

For the bike (my bike is a 6 yrs old Trek, and Im happy with it and dont have the budget to get a new one) leg of the triathlon, I usually wear a pair of cycling shorts, a t-shirt and the same runners I use for the run leg.

What difference would a tri-suit, tri-bars, or cycling shoes make, and in your opinion which of these would make the most difference, if I was trying to bring my time down for my next triathlon (which will probably be the Joey Hannon in Limerick)?

thanks!
    BB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Do you run in cyling shorts:confused: If so get a tri suit, running in cycling shorts is like running with a nappy on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A tri suit will make a difference in your transition times. No more changing of clothes, simply whip off your wetsuit and you're good to go.

Tri suit works for both bike and run so no shorts required.

The next improvement will be the cycling shoes. You will need to practise the change from bike to run to get the most from wearing bike specific shoes. There is a huge difference in the power transfer with each pedal stroke when wearing stiff cycling shoes as compared to cushioned flexible runners.

Tri bars may help, though you can adopt an aero position by draping yourself over the bars. You may get a better bike improvement by a well maintained bike with tyres at the optimum pressure.

Most noticable improvement will be in your transition times with a tri suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Tri bars may help, though you can adopt an aero position by draping yourself over the bars. You may get a better bike improvement by a well maintained bike with tyres at the optimum pressure.

Note optimum pressure does not mean harder - for most optimum (i.e. faster is less than they think, depends on a few factors but harder is not faster)

Cycling shoes are a must - in terms of comfort, warmth and power transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks guys, this feedback is what some triathles here in Limerick have also told me. I will consider getting a trisuit and getting bike shoes for my next event and see how I get on. Thanks!

Advertisement