Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hauppage PVR vs Intensity Shuttle HDCP issues?

Options
  • 12-09-2011 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

I'm toying with getting either of these. I like the Intensity Shuttle more as it's a better portable solution for me I think.

However, how do both devices deal with HDCP? If it's a no go with either then it might be better to look at an alternative solution. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I'm toying with getting either of these. I like the Intensity Shuttle more as it's a better portable solution for me I think.

However, how do both devices deal with HDCP? If it's a no go with either then it might be better to look at an alternative solution. Thanks. :)

AFAIK, there isn't any on component?

Just looking at a review on amazon- seems the important difference (if the review I read is correct) is the shuttle seems more flexible, connections and settings wise (can shoot in 1080p) however it's USB 3.0 only (hauppage is 2.0) and it seems that the computer has to do the processing work with the shuttle (the hauppage does all the hard work, you don't even know it's there when it's recording).

So I guess the answer is the shuttle is the better deal if you've got a beastial system to run it on. I record on the move with a lappy so the hauppage is better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Yep, not what I was gunning for, more wondering about HDMI issues. Are either any good for retro consoles?

So I guess the answer is the shuttle is the better deal if you've got a beastial system to run it on. I record on the move with a lappy so the hauppage is better for me.

I've a new laptop, quad core Phenom II, decent HD Radeon card, USB 3 built-in and 8gb RAM all on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition.

Surely that would be enough? I didn't know the Hauppage done all the hard work though, maybe a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Intensity requires very fast hard disk as there is a lot of data to move around
    something a laptop will struggle with..

the hauppage encodes to H264 which reduces the data - hence ok over USB2, and thus a lappy.

As for HDCP (OP) - this isn't a problem for the hauppage because it only does component. The Intensity can do component too, and thus in this mode it doesn't have an issue with HDCP.

HDCP only causes an issue with HDMI. And the intensity cannot record any HDCP protected content. There are devices out there to help with that - you need to look around.

• Advertisement

Yep, not what I was gunning for, more wondering about HDMI issues. Are either any good for retro consoles?

Well, I have a hauppage myself and it works fine with a composite in. So as long as it has one of them (or a scart with a converter), it's fine.

However, a hauppage doesn't do HDMI. If that's a deal breaker, forget about one (although I don't know why you would, the footage is lovely regardless.)
    I've a new laptop, quad core Phenom II, decent HD Radeon card, USB 3 built-in and 8gb RAM all on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition.

Surely that would be enough? I didn't know the Hauppage done all the hard work though, maybe a better option?

The review said you can't get the best possible quality out of a shuttle, even with the highest end computers available. However, trust me, you don't need it- Youtube will only let you get so much quality anyway.

I can't tell you what's most important. Hauppage sounds easier, shuttle seems better if you have the gear (and you do). However I think quality of output the difference will be negligable,so its more hdmi vs component I guess.

I'd personally save up and go for the extreme if I was getting one, having a device which can do vga component or HDMI would be awesome for the situation I am in. I'd need a new laptop though, my 4GB dual core won't take the strain I think.

having a device which can do vga component or HDMI would be awesome for the situation I am in.

Me too, the VGA would be very useful as I use a scaler with VGA in/out. Maybe from what you say though, the Shuttle seems like the best choice for me. Though I agree, quality difference for YouTube or Vimeo alone would be negligible...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

If you're bunging it into a desktop case, you might want to consider getting the Intensity Pro PCI-E card. It can only do up to 1080p24 or 1080i60, but as Doom has said, ultimately you are quality limited by YouTube, so it really doesn't make a difference. Pick whichever you think would work best, an in-built PC card, or an external piece of kit.

I record from my Intensity in 1080i59.94 and just render it out to 1080p29.97

TheChrisD wrote: »
    If you're bunging it into a desktop case, you might want to consider getting the Intensity Pro PCI-E card.

Alas that's not an option for me as I only have a laptop. I stopped building desktops years ago. External solution it is but which one I'm not sure.

I'm thinking to buy the Intensity Shuttle as at least (so they claim) you'll be able to squeeze more performance out of it with newer systems making it at least a little bit future-proof.

Alas that's not an option for me as I only have a laptop.

Ah, whoops, completely overlooked that fact you'd mentioned :P

Yea, the Blackmagic stuff in general requires your machine to do most of the encoding, but is does seem to have more options than the PVR. Unfortunately, I'm not well versed on the PVR, so I really can't make a proper comparison.

I'm a Blackmagic fanboy :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Alas that's not an option for me as I only have a laptop. I stopped building desktops years ago. External solution it is but which one I'm not sure.

I'm thinking to buy the Intensity Shuttle as at least (so they claim) you'll be able to squeeze more performance out of it with newer systems making it at least a little bit future-proof.
    recommend you download and install the blackmagic software. it comes with a hard disk speed test.

I suspect your laptop hard disk won't be up to the job of very high resolution capture. This is one of the most critical aspect of the intensity products as they dump a lot of data to hard disk...

You can with the intensity decide to capture raw YUV - in which case speed test will show you what it's capable of, OR you can capture in MJPEG which drastically reduces the disk I/O from about 120MB/s for 720p60 to 11MB/s. There is some overhead, so assume 20MB/s needed for a 720p60. I don't have figures for 1080i or 1080p.

Ah, whoops, completely overlooked that fact you'd mentioned :P

Yea, the Blackmagic stuff in general requires your machine to do most of the encoding, but is does seem to have more options than the PVR. Unfortunately, I'm not well versed on the PVR, so I really can't make a proper comparison.

I'm a Blackmagic fanboy :P

Hauppage does 60fps 720p. All you need for yt really.

DemoniK wrote: »
    recommend you download and install the blackmagic software. it comes with a hard disk speed test.

That's exactly what I am looking for. If my laptop falls over at any stage then there's no point buying the shuttle and the PVR is the answer. Just need to find the software now, their support section is rather poorly laid out.

Cheers for the useful info everyone. :)

Out of interest, is the Hauppauge at Amazon the latest version?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001M0MY10

Hauppage does 60fps 720p. All you need for yt really.

Some of us like to go the whole hog to 1080, especially if we own a 1080p monitor to play on, it helps to keep the Xbox and the PC video projects the same size :D

Out of interest, is the Hauppauge at Amazon the latest version?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001M0MY10

There's no real way to tell, safer to buy direct from Hauppage. You don't want one of the pre h264 hauppages.
    Some of us like to go the whole hog to 1080, especially if we own a 1080p monitor to play on, it helps to keep the Xbox and the PC video projects the same size :D

Those of us who record live on the fly don't need to worry about any of that stuff :D

Dabs.ie is doing it for €184 delivered. The Amazon model number is 1228 so is the Dabs one.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/hauppauge-hd-pvr-58XW.html

Any ideas?

Just ordered a Hauppauge PVR from Dabs.ie. Looks like the latest model to me and mentions H.264 all over the description. Model number is 1228. €184 delivered.

I chose that over the Shuttle as even though I probably have the gear to deal with it, the HDD choice could bottleneck it. The Hauppauge seems tried and tested and the YouTube samples I've seen look lovely.

I think I made the right choice. Thanks for your help everyone. :)

FYI Amazon have the Happauge HD PVR up for £149.99 now. Including free delivery. That's around €172 delivered. Model number is 1228 which I believe is the latest one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-Capture-Definition-Hardware-Encoders/dp/B001M0MY10

FYI Amazon have the Happauge HD PVR up for £149.99 now. Including free delivery. That's around €172 delivered. Model number is 1228 which I believe is the latest one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-Capture-Definition-Hardware-Encoders/dp/B001M0MY10

Lol, I'd almost buy a second one :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Still cheaper to buy from the official site, and makes more sense. But it's not like you got screwed :D

Happy recording, and be sure to post up some test for us to critique :p

You have a TY channel?

How much is it from Hauppauge direct? I ordered mine from Dabs.ie last week and still haven't received it. Can't wait to record MVS, PC Engine, Saturn etc with it. Forget XBOX 360 and PS3! :cool:

I do have a YT channel it's:

HERE

But I'm also launching a Vlog soon called Pink Bullets at www.pinkbullets.co.uk but need my PVR first to record some footage and then edit it all up. Watch this space. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It's E175 from the official site, which is based in Ireland, so it's Next day delivery once they have it in stock :)

Advertisement