Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - advice on Dog & temporary resident

• 12-09-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All, we currently have a temporary doggie addition to the family ( will be for about a wk ) Dog is a young male lab, absoloutly fab, super temprement, very loveable & just wants lots of attention..

All fine yesterday for about 5 hours, all dogs playing nicely together but unfortunatly one of our Dogs is turning aggressive around him, the lab only has to walk past our Retreiver & the Retreiver is snarling & growling - so with the kids we are having to keep the dogs appart in diff rooms which isn't ideal as normally the dogs have the run of the house:)

It got to the stage that our retreiver was growling back in my face last night when I told him no! He also a couple of hours after the Lab arrived started a fight with the neighbours dog which scared the life out of me as he has NEVER shown an ounce of aggression before ..

Want to nip this in the bud now as dont want the agression to develop any further.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

70 views & not one reply.. thought there would at least be one or 2 people on here to offer advice.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

A new addition to 'the pack' will cause temporary instability while everyone(dogs) try to establish where they belong in the order of things, you retriever even if he was not the head of your house hold still feels threatened by the new addition and is just showing his insecurities. Stay firm and let the retriever know that bad behavior will not be tolerated, a firm NO or simply ignoring him may help when he starts acting up. Dont forget to watch the new dog also as he maybe giving off body signals that are irritating your guy. Hope this helps. Eventually these things sort them selves out but just be watchful.

Advertisement