Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best website to sell car on??

• 12-09-2011 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking to sell my car privately. Given the proliferation of websites where you can advertise , which would you use ?? Which one is best overall in terms of usability and general service , pricing and number of eyeballs ?? Thanks in advance for your help.

AB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If it's over around €10k I'd think Carzone, otherwise done deal, although I'd stick an ad up on done deal anyway as it's only €3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Fully agree with EPM. Mate sold a 525i BMW in 2 hours flat on donedeal. It gets a huge amount of traffic but unfortunately alot of timewasters also. Carzone is good for the more expensive stuff but much more expensive to advertise also. Mostly dealers on carzone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Anecdotally was told lot of scammers on carzone, less on done deal, how true it is dunno as haven't used either for buying / selling in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Avoid Adverts.ie and Gumtree - magnets for timewasters both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Delancey wrote: »
    Avoid Adverts.ie and Gumtree - magnets for timewasters both of them.

Half my lunch and a copy of yesterdays Herald offered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Donedeal certainly gets the punters looking at your car. You may have to put up with a couple of timewasters (or just people who didn't read the Ad properly...."Oh I thought it was diesel" ).
    Carzone is mainly dealer Ads, and it would seem that the buyers on carzone are really only buying from dealers.
    Also, as mentioned, an Ad on carzone will attract a few scammers....easy to spot, some bloke in another country who is very interested in your car, despite the fact that he could buy hundreds of them locally, will email you with an offer to buy the car for the full asking price.
    You don't mention what car you are selling (or what price you are hoping to achieve) but I would always go for donedeal 1st...if it's priced right and shown properly on the Ad (at least 6/7 decent photos) you should get at least a few calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

When I was selling my last car, I had it on Carzone for 2 months and adverts.ie for the same amount of time - got a lot of timewasters/ scam artists on Carzone, no real bite on adverts.ie. Had never heard of donedeal until a mate told me about it - put it up on donedeal and had the car sold in 4 hours!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Donedeal all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

donedeal
    but add information about car mileage petrol NCT etc it will attract better responses the more information you give.

I've passed over adds that have price and little more than couple of grubby photos as a buyer don't want to be waisting time either,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭techie

From my own recent experience of selling my wifes car:

Donedeal: Sold car from this website
    Carzone: No calls
    Gumtree: Lots of emails asking for Paypal account, and Agent on way to collect car ;)
    Adverts: Lots of views, no calls

Stick an ad up on Donedeal with all details of vehicle, and some Decent pictures of all around it, plus NCT discs etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement