Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left something in a Hotel room

Options
  • 12-09-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was staying in a hotel over the weekend. I left a mouth retainer in the bathroom. They are really expensive to replace(300E). I rang the hotel 2 hours after we left to ask them to keep it. The person I was speaking to said someone would ring me back, which they didn't. I continued to ring all day yesterday and kept being told someone would ring me back. I was finally told today that they didn't find it in the room:mad:. I know it was my fault etc that I left it there in the first place but I know that I did leave it there and the cleaning staff obviously put it in the bin and are saying they didn't find anything.
    Is there anything I can do? I am so mad right now:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Nope.

You left it there, they didn't find it. I wouldn't say the cleaning staff obviously put it in the bin, but it is the most likely scenario. Its not really something they would notice as being valuable like a watch or camera or something.

Short of going to the hotel and looking through their lost and found, theres nothing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Nothing.

Your only hope is to ring the hotel and ask for head of housekeeping. You could ask her would she mind checking the cleaners trolleys in case someone. Picked it up and forgot to hand it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Is it covered under house insurance? - Though possibly not worth the claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

About 100 years ago my pal was a receptionist in a posh hotel. late one night when she was finishing up, one of the porters handed her a top set of dentures wrapped in tissue. he had found it in the bar/lounge while cleaning up. my pal peaked at the dentures, revolted, and tossed them in the bin.
    next day, off duty, she gets a phone call from the hotel. "where are the dentures found last night in the bar and left in your care?" The customers standing in reception, indignant, looking for her teeth!
    My pal had to pay for replacement set uout of her own wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

^^ that would be the kind of outcome I would like:)

• Advertisement

It's not an outcome I'd agree with anyway. Making some member of staff pay €300 because you can't remember your stuff? Bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,418 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus, you would accept that knowing it came straight from a worker's wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Making some member of staff pay €300 because you can't remember your stuff? Bad form.
    Throwing things out which you are well aware are worth quite a bit of money -very bad form, and very stupid TBH, I would not want an employee who is that unintelligent.

rubadub wrote: »
    Throwing things out which you are well aware are worth quite a bit of money -very bad form, and very stupid TBH, I would not want an employee who is that unintelligent.
    Before I read this thread I had no idea retainers could be worth €300, so there goes the argument that everyone would know they are worth money.

To be fair, I had no idea retainers were that expensive and it is quite an unsanitary item to leave in a room - definitely something I would bin (rather than keep) if I was preparing a room for new guests.

Before I read this thread I had no idea retainers could be worth €300, so there goes the argument that everyone would know they are worth money.

Exactly tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not going to happen though, as I presume mrsbyrne's reply was a troll. You left it behind, it hasn't been found, or hasn't been handed in, therefore it's gone. Buy a new one, and be more careful with it.

Before I read this thread I had no idea retainers could be worth €300,
    noodler wrote: »
    To be fair, I had no idea retainers were that expensive
    I was thinking of the dentures story, but I would have thought anybody who has been to a dentist and had work done would have guessed retainers would also be expensive and not just throw them out. I'd have thought it'd be over 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The hotel safe sounds like the best bet for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

How would they be well aware?

I would agree. It is not even obvious they are worth a lot i.e. They look like icky yocky dirty old things.

For example if someone left an expensive watch you might not know the brand offhand but it would probably be apparent that it is worth a lot.
    Retainer - not so!

amdublin wrote: »
    How would they be well aware?
    Common sense and a moments thought. I was thinking of the dentures but the same would be true of the retainer
    It is not even obvious they are worth a lot i.e. They look like icky yocky dirty old things.
    Where do you think they come from? and what you have to go through to get one. If anybody asked themselves that I would expect them to realise they would have a high value.

What did you (and the other posters who claim ignorance) think it would cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If anything like my daughter's retainer you'd discard them without a moments thought s it looks like a plastic packaging from something.

Common sense and a moments thought. I was thinking of the dentures but the same would be true of the retainer

Where do you think they come from? and what you have to go through to get one. If anybody asked themselves that I would expect them to realise they would have a high value.

What did you (and the other posters who claim ignorance) think it would cost?

Well IMO they resemble a sports mouthguard which you can buy for about a tenner.

So eh, yeah I'd say about a tenner....and if I came across a dirty old pair I wouldn't give it a seconds thought before tossing them in the bin.

If anything like my daughter's retainer you'd discard them without a moments thought s it looks like a plastic packaging from something.
    It would depend on the style as to how obvious it is. Again I was thinking more of the person who threw out the dentures, which would hopefully be more obvious.
    Well IMO they resemble a sports mouthguard which you can buy for about a tenner.

So eh, yeah I'd say about a tenner....and if I came across a dirty old pair I wouldn't give it a seconds thought before tossing them in the bin.
    So it seems you do know what a retainer might look like.

So will you now answer the questions,
    Where do you think they come from?
    & -What did you (and the other posters who claim ignorance) think it would cost?

Hopefully your first answer would lead to a more reasonable estimate of cost, and that is just monetary cost.

And then I would wonder why you (and the others) would not err on the side of caution and not throw it out. -Unless you really are that astonishingly ignorant about dental costs....

The other poster said they picked up the dentures with tissues, I expect most hotel cleaners come across far more nasty stuff in their daily work. If it was a genuine mistake then fair enough, but its the thought of people knowingly throwing something out that they know is possibly of high value that is not on.

It would depend on the style as to how obvious it is. Again I was thinking more of the person who threw out the dentures, which would hopefully be more obvious.

& -What did you (and the other posters who claim ignorance) think it would cost?

Hopefully your first answer would lead to a more reasonable estimate of cost, and that is just monetary cost.

And then I would wonder why you (and the others) would not err on the side of caution and not throw it out. -Unless you really are that astonishingly ignorant about dental costs....

The other poster said they picked up the dentures with tissues, I expect most hotel cleaners come across far more nasty stuff in their daily work. If it was a genuine mistake then fair enough, but its the thought of people knowingly throwing something out that they know is possibly of high value that is not on.

Look, you are familar with the costs of retainers through personal experience and we are not.

Stop making the incident out to be malicious - it is unsanitary and people have no idea of its worth (nor would they without some personal experience) and I would have no issue throwing such a thing out before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Look, you are familar with the costs of retainers through personal experience and we are not.

Stop making the incident out to be malicious - it is unsanitary and people have no idea of its worth (nor would they without some personal experience) and I would have no issue throwing such a thing out before now.

Us poor people wouldn't know what they were.:(

• Advertisement

Dude, I told you how much I think they cost :confused:

Id assume they come from the same place as a sports guard tbh (a chemist? A sportshop? A dentist?)

And being totally honest I'd treat them the same as if I came across a dirty pair of underwears or a half squeezed tube of toothpaste. All straight in the bin.

A wrapped in tissue sportsguard/retainer would look pretty worthless to me.

I'm sorry you don't like all my answers and my opinions of a retainer but they are what they are.

:confused:

Dude, I told you how much I think they cost :confused:

I'm sorry you don't like all my answers and my opinions of a retainer but they are what they are.
    I thought you might have been feigning ignorance to cover previous statments, I really am astonished at how ignorant people are appearing to be. It does annoy me to think of people throwing out others personal items, especially when you say you would not even think about it for a second. I find that denture story infuriating, if its true.
    I am not familiar and don't have one. I have been to a dentist before, even if I had never been to a dentist I am aware they are highly paid, you hear of people going up north or abroad. I didn't think this was a big secret.
    Id assume they come from the same place as a sports guard tbh (a chemist? A sportshop? A dentist?)
    They are customised, I thought this was blatantly obvious to anybody, but perhaps not.

This is why I was asking about what people have to go through to get it. I expect the average one would take at least 2 visits to the dentist, time off work, transport, dentist bills -all pricey. In most cases I would expect the dentist has to make an impression, then send this off to a (highly paid) orthodontal technician after writing out details, the technician will probably make a replica of the mouth and then have to make the retainer by hand around this model. I doubt your tenner would cover the postage to and from the technician.

I have respect for people property, and I DO bother to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

my retainer cost 75 quid. I agree, i wouldn't necessarily know that it had been customised if I found one, and certainly I wouldn't think it cost 300 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

My immediate reaction would be "yuck, wtf can't people throw this stuff in the bin"

Similar to if it was a Dildo, Vaginal Cup, Foot Scraper, Bloody Plaster and so on.

It was in someones body, straight in the bin, not sanitary to leave around the place.

Okay please! Lay off the superior attitude just because you know how much a retainer is worth and therefore respect it :(
    My immediate reaction would be "yuck, wtf can't people throw this stuff in the bin"

Similar to if it was a Dildo, Vaginal Cup, Foot Scraper, Bloody Plaster and so on.

It was in someones body, straight in the bin, not sanitary to leave around the place.

I agree. Same goes for dirty under wears and things wrapped in tissue on lockers......eg used prophylactics.
    Same goes for dirty old toothbrushes.
    Anything that looks dirty, old and used and icky goes into the bin.

The cleaners are there to clean the room. Not there to pick up and preserve dirty old items that may or may not be of value. And that may or may not be claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Is it even legal for the hotel to take from a member of staff's wages in such a scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Never heard of a retainer till I read this. Are they the wire things teenagers wear?
    Doubt I would have saved one of those if I found it as I presumed they cant be removed from the mouth except by a dentist so I would it was just an old one being dumped or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please leave the argument about the cost of the retainer out of this. It is irrelevant and the discussion is derailing the thread.

dudara

OP it sounds as if the chambermaid did not realise what she had found and possibly threw it out. It's not as if the item was a telephone or something which bore an obvious value. The question here is if the hotel has any liability for items left behind in their rooms. And how do they get dustinguished from the rubbish that guests leave behind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Best advice is to mind your own stuff, and double check a hotel room before checking out?
    its not the hotels responsibilty to mind your stuff that you left behind,

it would be like holding onto your undies as you left them behind, unsanitary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I realise it was my fault forleaving it behind. To clarify, it was in a container and although it does look cheap(its plastic) they should of kept it. My main annoyance is the cleaning staff claim they never found it which is untrue.
    Whats to stop them taking items that do look valuable and saying they never found them.

Advertisement