Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timing Chain

• 12-09-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭

In a 1L Opel Corsa when does it need replacing and whats the cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

They should last the life of the engine but on the corsa if it hasn't been properly maintained with the correct oil etc then the tensioner can fail, causing the chain to slip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is a loud noise when I start the car in first gear especially when taking off and I think it is this could it be anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There is a loud noise when I start the car in first gear especially when taking off and I think it is this could it be anything else?

I had an old Corsa and the overhead cam was very noisy - my friend's Corsa was the same - I guess that car had crappy cam material.

Other than that, I don't know - if the timing chain had gone I'd think you'd know it. Does the noise change or fade? I think you need a mechanic to actually stand there and listen.

carveone wrote: »
    I had an old Corsa and the overhead cam was very noisy - my friend's Corsa was the same - I guess that car had crappy cam material.

Other than that, I don't know - if the timing chain had gone I'd think you'd know it. Does the noise change or fade? I think you need a mechanic to actually stand there and listen.

It fades

I'd say the tensioner is getting weak and it takes a while for it to build up pressure, thats why its noisy on start up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I'd say the tensioner is getting weak and it takes a while for it to build up pressure, thats why its noisy on start up.

As above, have changed loads of them due to being badly serviced. You need to replace the chain, tensioner, and rails. And change the oil at the same time and make sure it is done in the future. Expect to pay somewhere between 300 and 600 depending on where you get it done.

Thanks all sounds like a very costly job :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Thanks all sounds like a very costly job :(

It will be cheaper fix it now, if it broke it will cost a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

Lucifer wrote: »
    As above, have changed loads of them due to being badly serviced. You need to replace the chain, tensioner, and rails. And change the oil at the same time and make sure it is done in the future. Expect to pay somewhere between 300 and 600 depending on where you get it done.

Thanks Lucifer. I didn't expect the chain to go like that - I thought the tensioner would last just as long as the chain. I was asking someone who knows Toyotas and Mazdas more and he said that the tension is controlled by a hydraulic piston style tensioner - he'd seen a few where the tensioner would stick closed and the chain would make a racket on start up. Is that the same thing on the Corsa?

I guess you can't get at the tensioner without pulling the lot apart, hence the cost. And if you're doing all that, you might as well change the chain while you're there right?

carveone wrote: »
    Thanks Lucifer. I didn't expect the chain to go like that - I thought the tensioner would last just as long as the chain. I was asking someone who knows Toyotas and Mazdas more and he said that the tension is controlled by a hydraulic piston style tensioner - he'd seen a few where the tensioner would stick closed and the chain would make a racket on start up. Is that the same thing on the Corsa?

I guess you can't get at the tensioner without pulling the lot apart, hence the cost. And if you're doing all that, you might as well change the chain while you're there right?

The reason you change the whole lot is because if the tensioner has failed, the chain will have been rattling around causing wear on itself and the chain guides etc.

The tensioner on the corsa is hydraulic but it uses a spring to hold the tension on until the oil pressure builds up after starting. This spring usually breaks leading to no tension on the chain during and immediately after start up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement