Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone up for a trip to Salthill

Options
  • 12-09-2011 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭

I'm going to head down to Salthill after work to see what things are like down there. I'll have a camera along to take some photos. By all accounts it doesn't sound like the sea is faring too bad today at all. i was hoping for some high waves and a bit more excitement.

Anyone else interested in going along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I just cycled along the Prom. I've seen windier days. There are a few people in swimming at Blackrock despite the choppy conditions. Plenty of people with cameras taking shots too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Would have liked to see it this morning when things appeared to be at their worst. Went there after work for a breath of fresh air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I wouldnt mind going down but i have to wash my hair tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Here's what it was like at high tide this evening just after 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

^^^
    Crazy stuff... Fair play to them :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Not crazy and i'm not a spoilsport. These people ruin lives with this ridiculous stunt, their families suffer the grief and we all pick up the bill for rescuing them. Idiotic muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

headmaster wrote: »
    Not crazy and i'm not a spoilsport. These people ruin lives with this ridiculous stunt, their families suffer the grief and we all pick up the bill for rescuing them. Idiotic muppets.

Oh that's terrible.....Joe.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Super video, you could watch that all evening. The lads would not have gotten into the sea if they weren't capable of handling themselves and there is strength in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I noticed the Lifeguards had a red flag flying. These lads weren't bothered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Typical Irish answer. Why am I not surprised?

• Advertisement

Thats plain crazy, have these fools any idea how easy it would to drown doing that or be swept away and then get the good people of rescue looking for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

They get good distance aided by the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

dec25532 wrote: »
    Super video, you could watch that all evening. The lads would not have gotten into the sea if they weren't capable of handling themselves and there is strength in numbers.

Strength in numbers??? There's only about 4 other people in the water and I doubt there are any lifeguards on duty to rescue them if a freak wave came by.

Bunch of rehabs if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

That looked like fun!:p The area to the left of the pier looks very sheltered, didn't seem to have much trouble swimming back at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thats plain crazy, have these fools any idea how easy it would to drown doing that or be swept away and then get the good people of rescue looking for them.

Get swept away? With an on-shore breeze? Stop talking through your hoop, you haven't a clue what you're ranting on about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Actually I was there when that was filmed. It's looks far more dramatic than it did in reality. There were all obviously experienced swimmers and in the lee of diving pier the water wasn't that rough. Too rough for me but not too bad. Some even swam from there to the steps closer in.

The waves generally weren't that bad. The bay is quite sheltered really. Maybe it would take a really strong southerly or south westerly to flood the the sea road. No one would be swimming that day.:eek:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Get swept away? With an on-shore breeze? Stop talking through your hoop, you haven't a clue what you're ranting on about

Aww yeah and if one of them drowned we would never hear the end of what a great person he/she was when in fact there were just selfish idiots, not to mention the amount of people and money that would be sent out to look for the fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Aww yeah and if one of them drowned we would never hear the end of what a great person he/she was when in fact there were just selfish idiots, not to mention the amount of people and money that would be sent out to look for the fools.

Well, i'd be one of those people who'd be sent out to look for them. If they're good swimmers I don't see a problem with where they were swimming, i've often done it myself and it's obvious that it's quite sheltered on the lee side of the diving tower (as has already been mentioned)

Advertisement